Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

RSC Modifications-self install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 PM
klittlehale is infamous around these parts
RSC Modifications-self install?

Has anyone on this forum attempted to install the cats and change out the ECU on a Vantage? How difficult is it to access the ECU in the front wheel well or to exchange the stock CATS with the RSC CATS? Has anyone attempted it or looked into it? I do not mind spending several hours under lift doing the work as long as it does not require any significant improvisation, cutting, welding, etc. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I have both but didn't install myself. The CAT exchange is not difficult, assuming you can get under the car with enough space to work. From what I have heard, it's a bit of a pain to get at the ECU, but you can do it. You have to remove a wheel and the wheel arch to get at it. Not complicated, but a bit tedious from what I understand.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
I installed my RSC exhaust and the RSC TCU for the sportshift. Both were very straightforward and simple. Just took a little time and patience. The cats should be quite easy and take less time than the exhaust. I watched my dealer do the ECU and it looked like a piece of cake. A lift will make both jobs much, much easier. I would have no hesitation recommending either job to someone who is only margianally mechanically inclined. BTW, I'm not suggesting you are but if one follows the instructions these cars are easy to work on.

Adam

Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
If you're the sort who has done work on your cars before you shouldn't find it too hard. Both the catalysts and exhaust bolt up to the OE mounting points with no modification required. You'll need some nuts & bolts to secure the catalysts, as the OE fasteners are usually fused to the cats. The wiring loom for the O2 sensors has to be unclipped so it reaches the new boss location (little bit of a stretch.)

The exhaust is very straightforward. The hardest part is probably getting the OE system out - you might need an extra set of hands to manouver it out. Ours weighs half as much so can be put in by 1 person. Sometimes you can re-use the 'donut' gaskets, but other times they have degraded too far and you'll need to get a set from an AM parts counter. Tips are easily removed from your OE exhaust and fastened to ours.

The ECU is not that hard to get at. Remove the RF wheel and arch liner and there are 3 x 8mm bolts holding it in place. You don't actually have to take the liner out completely, just enough to get at the ECU.

The trickiest thing is probably that you have to leave the car where you parked it for 5 days or so while your ECU goes to England.

So.... no cutting/welding/modification required, just hand tools and a little patience as suggested above. There's always a convenience/ease factor in using a shop to install mods, but these are definitely not too advanced to do at home.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:44 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I did my own ECU with some telephone assistance from Stew. It is located in the passenger front wheel well. You can actually see the ECU if you look into the side sill, metallic box.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:41 AM
R13
R13 is infamous around these parts
Stuart(or any members with feedback!!), couple questions on the RSC ECU Upgrade(for a 2007 AMV8, manual tranny, Quick Silver-Sports+ cat-back, RSC Air Filters);

-What are the effects on "around town" driving? Any down-side to be concerned of for a predominently "City car"?
-Any dramatic changes in fuel economy? More a curiosity than a concern, as my re-fuels every 250-300km's are more an inconvenience than concern...
-What's the process from ordering to complete install for a non-AM Dealer(I dispise patronising my local dealership...if you're in the Toronto area, you'll understand) to take care of the ECU upgrade? Is it the same process if I wish to return the mapping back to stock?
-Is there any qualified shop in the Toronto area that you recommend for the process/install?
Thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by R13
Stuart(or any members with feedback!!), couple questions on the RSC ECU Upgrade(for a 2007 AMV8, manual tranny, Quick Silver-Sports+ cat-back, RSC Air Filters)
Hi, thanks for posting. I have answered your questions below for clarity. I also wanted to ask if you already have a Quicksilver exhaust and are looking to add to it or if you are considering all the upgrades listed above? At RSC we have our own line of exhausts; 'Veloce Sport' which we have been manufacturing ourselves since 2007. We have specifically designed these exhausts and their respective sound levels to work in concert with the other mods you are considering and to produce an appropriate overall sound in combination with them. There has been some (very deliberately created) confusion in the past that RSC sells Quicksilver exhausts in an attempt to prevent us from selling our own product, so just wanted to state that for the record.

What are the effects on "around town" driving? Any down-side to be concerned of for a predominently "City car"?
Absolutely no negative affects whatsoever. If anything, the improvements in mid-range torque and throttle response probably make city driving a little easier. Obviously there is going to be a change in the volume of the exhaust, but that should be a good thing!

-Any dramatic changes in fuel economy? More a curiosity than a concern, as my re-fuels every 250-300km's are more an inconvenience than concern...
If there are, they are negligable. Often, remapping the ECU produces a slight improvement in fuel economy, and you are also dropping 40lbs from the car with the 200 cell cats & exhaust.

-What's the process from ordering to complete install for a non-AM Dealer(I dispise patronising my local dealership...if you're in the Toronto area, you'll understand) to take care of the ECU upgrade? Is it the same process if I wish to return the mapping back to stock?
Talk to me, we sort out your order and ship you the parts.

Exhaust install is pretty straightforward. It is easier with a lift, but can be done with jack/axle stands. The hardest part is probably manouevering the stock exhaust off the car. Might need a spare set of hands for that. Approximately 1.5 hours

Filters require the front end of the car to be up in the air, because the airbox needs to be disassembled from below to replace the filters. After that, they just spin on. They will seem a bit loose, but they are designed as a partial compression fitting so once you tighten the airbox down they fit snugly.
Approximately 1 hour

The ECU is located in the RF wheel arch. You'll need to remove the wheel, and then remove maybe 8-10 screws that hold the liner in. Once you can reache the ECU, there are 3 plugs to undo, and 3 x 8mm hex bolts holding the ECU in place. You need to send us the ECU for remapping. Install is the exact reverse. We offer a free remap to stock at any time. Same procedure.
Approximately 40 minutes

-Is there any qualified shop in the Toronto area that you recommend for the process/install?
I have a great independent in Mississauga that has worked with our AM products before and handles a lot of US and Canadian celebrities cars. Is that close enough to you?

Thanks!

Drop me an email - Stuart@Rsctuning.com or phone me in Vancouver on 778-788-6385 and I'd be happy to discuss further. Any time is fine.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
Reading Stuarts last post - spot on. I have all these mods (and a few more) on my MY 2007 Vantage and it is a much better car IMHO.
No issues driving on the street vs. stock and much better on the track vs. stock!
I did use a shop RSC recommended and they are now my regular shop - and my dealer was good in Tampa ...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
R13
R13 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Stuart. I actually already have the noted mods and will email you about the ECU in the next couple days.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Korn58 is infamous around these parts
klittlehale, can you e-mail me, I can't PM. I met you at Infineon a couple of months ago and had some questions about the mods your doing to your V8 Vantage. My is stock right now, except for K&N filters and a Tubi muffler that I installed. I also live in the Bay Area.

Thanks, Jason