Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

replacing useless 07 AMV8 nav sys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
khalid is infamous around these parts
blam thats great work do i have to charge it externally then install it back or did you manage to connect it to a power source in the car

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM
khalid is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rare
Why not try the Garmin 53?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10573

Perfect for retrofitting oem and utilizing the oem screen but the joy of Garmin simplicity.
My GT-R and Audi both have these and works perfectly.
I'm looking at a Vantage S in the very near future and this will be the first modification.

does this really work on the oem screen

Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
dehnert is infamous around these parts
I'd love a conversion kit.

It's to bad there isn't a bigger market for a conversion kit.

I always thought the best solution for any car these days would be a generic panel where you could install just about any nav system and then snap on a fitted cover. So long as the car can supply power and open/close the cover where appropriate. Fancier systems could have an audio input and use something like a Voice Over feature that lowers the main audio input so voice prompts can be heard over the music.

I'd like to use the nav system more often, but it's just years behind what I have on my iphone .

I'm not too keen on experimenting with my own car, but if I could find the basic mechanism at a wrecking yard for not too much, I'd take a crack at it.

Some day, perhaps.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 PM
BLAM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by khalid
blam thats great work do i have to charge it externally then install it back or did you manage to connect it to a power source in the car
Sorry for the late reply. I was able to connect the original nav power cord to one of the fuse under the passenger foot well. The nav now is set to automatically turn and on and off. I forget which fuse I used; however, I can let you know which one when I finally get around to replacing the cigarette/aux fuse which is blown. FYI: the blown fuse is unrelated to the nav install.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
So, you just pull out the black box and replace it with the Garmin box and it works with the existing screen? Must have been a price point issue with AM, as the Garmin is a far superior system.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Koooms is infamous around these parts
I'm thinking of having a custom install done, something similar to the installs on mp3car.com w/ a touchscreen panel and mini-itx carpc. Thoughts anyone?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rare
Why not try the Garmin 53?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10573

Perfect for retrofitting oem and utilizing the oem screen but the joy of Garmin simplicity.
My GT-R and Audi both have these and works perfectly.
I'm looking at a Vantage S in the very near future and this will be the first modification.
If you buy a Vantage S you'll find it already has a Garmin system - AM now fit Garmin as standard

Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Thankfully my car didnt come with nav. I use the Tom Tom ap on my iPhone when I get lost.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Koooms is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BLAM
Sorry for the late reply. I was able to connect the original nav power cord to one of the fuse under the passenger foot well. The nav now is set to automatically turn and on and off. I forget which fuse I used; however, I can let you know which one when I finally get around to replacing the cigarette/aux fuse which is blown. FYI: the blown fuse is unrelated to the nav install.
got any higher res photos?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM
vonFerro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Koooms
I'm thinking of having a custom install done, something similar to the installs on mp3car.com w/ a touchscreen panel and mini-itx carpc. Thoughts anyone?
I did this with my last car. if you can get it stable and working, great. otherwise you spend dozens of man hours tinkering with the system. I was running Centrafuse. Went thru 2 different GPS dongles, and eventually it just stopped working altogether. I kept it around solely as a media management system. Had some pretty cool capabilities though. Bluetooth worked really well as well as internet connectivity for downloading / reading emails to you among other things.