Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

replacing useless 07 AMV8 nav sys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 AM
khalid is infamous around these parts
replacing useless 07 AMV8 nav sys

hey guys i live in saudi . and the crapy nav sys that came with my car doesnt work here no MAP cds where ever developed . and i cant upgrade it with the new HDD Nav system by AM.

so i found the garmin nüvi® 3790T every thing is built in GPS device maps et.c all you need is the power source which is the regular cig lighter power .

so i was thinking of removing the old system and the screen and just installing this instead of the screen i already have in the car .

is it a good idea , will i still be able to open and close the flap like i do now ?

thanx

Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
hey kavi, i haven't done it but i see no reason why it wouldn't work. as long as the gps unit fits where the screen used to be. since its not a touch screen there shouldn't be any feedback going from the screen to the cars computer or nav, it should just be a video feed out.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
I refused to look at those ugly graphics.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Hi k@V1

believe me when I tell you, it is not because you don't have the system running in Saudi, it is a piece of crap system that comes with the AM cars, I have discussed it here not too long ago..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-my-fill.html

I bought the Nuvi, but I went with the 3760T not 3790T, I think it was the smart shopper in me, cos really, the difference in price is big, and the extra features I will not use, like talking to it in stead of pushing on the screen, it wasn't that important to me, and 3D buildings, why would I pay extra for two things I could live without..

ok, now the setting.. bro.. I know where you are coming from.. I would love to have this Nuvi implemented in the screen, but do you want my advice? let it go.. and stay simple.. simple is the key, don't throw money left and right on the car.. I got a great friction dashboard mount.. it looks great and really the GPS never moves.. you can put it away if you are looking for the clean look after using it.. my .02 cents

Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount

Attached Images    
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by zambono
hey kavi, i haven't done it but i see no reason why it wouldn't work. as long as the gps unit fits where the screen used to be. since its not a touch screen there shouldn't be any feedback going from the screen to the cars computer or nav, it should just be a video feed out.
zambono

nice to hear from you again . the GPS unit does actually fit i have to remove the screen from the casing and replace it with the garmin since the casing is whats attached to the tiny motor what takes it up and down and true since every thing is built in the only thing i need to connect to the device is the power source i think i can make it work .

i think ill give it a shot and see what happens

Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
I refused to look at those ugly graphics.

what graphics

Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by donahdi
Hi k@V1

believe me when I tell you, it is not because you don't have the system running in Saudi, it is a piece of crap system that comes with the AM cars, I have discussed it here not too long ago..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-my-fill.html

I bought the Nuvi, but I went with the 3760T not 3790T, I think it was the smart shopper in me, cos really, the difference in price is big, and the extra features I will not use, like talking to it in stead of pushing on the screen, it wasn't that important to me, and 3D buildings, why would I pay extra for two things I could live without..

ok, now the setting.. bro.. I know where you are coming from.. I would love to have this Nuvi implemented in the screen, but do you want my advice? let it go.. and stay simple.. simple is the key, don't throw money left and right on the car.. I got a great friction dashboard mount.. it looks great and really the GPS never moves.. you can put it away if you are looking for the clean look after using it.. my .02 cents

Garmin Portable Friction Dashboard Mount
man oh man the nav sys sucks big time i swear ive been even in really cheap cars with better nav big mistake aston did alont with the side mirrors and the key fob all adapted from volvo.

well i really need it to be hidden and integrated in the car i like the clean look of the interior .

ill buy the device and think of how i can intigrate it

Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Do you guys really use the NAV that often?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by k@V1
what graphics
The very outdated UI graphics, it looks like nav system 1.0 from the 90s

Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by markesq
I don’t. maybe on family trip in the SUV. But not on either of our sport car

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
That's what I kind of wanted to ask, because I literally have had mine open twice and once was to show my brother whom asked what was below that cutout....The one time I actually put in a destination....It took me right there. Perhaps the interface is lacking, but it's no worse that my 997 turbo was. I do understand the '07 is not gps based and perhaps if there had been map cd's developed for Saudi, the OP might not be so irritated with it.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:20 AM

well sometime i need to set a point or a place that ineed the NAV sys to take me back to .

i lived in sweden and in phoenix for a long time i dont really know the roads here

Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can always mount it high on windshield or directly to the rear view mirror. this way, its still got a clean look

Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Unless you are delivering packages all day or making sales calls, I just can't see wasting that much time, money and effort on the NAV system. Most of my driving is within 20 miles of my house.

If you have an Iphone or similar, you can just download a NAV app and listen to the voice direction while driving. Just a thought.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
anyone have experience getting to the nav screen, mine no longer goes up and down, i could use diagrams, pics, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: replacing useless 07 AMV8 nav sys