Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

lightweight flywheel options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
oh ok, so the flywheel for 800 is decent. Why is the clutch disc so much, that seems extremely high for a clutch disc.
That's just a guesstimate at this point, will depend on what we decide to do - inserts vs. solid machined etc.

The clutch disc... well. At this point there are only 5 of them in existence in the world and they were not an 'off the shelf' part so all the tooling etc. was unique to this product. If 30 or 40 people wanted to jump in and order one I'm sure we could get the cost down

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Resolving the 4.3L clutch issue

From an early You Tube video a Vantage drivetrain weakness was revealed, likely, the clutch. The scene, a 4.3L V8V coupe, with fuse #22 pulled as I remember, leaving a Brit country home drive, entering a lane overhung with leafy limbs. Driver waits for "go ahead" from videotographer, then turning, enters roadway in first and accelerates sprightly through the gears vanishing into the middle distance. Great sounds but sloppy take up at changes. It had to be a clutch problem. Soon, owner reports of foul smells appeared on 6speed and Pistonheads. Initial suspicion confirmed. I had hoped the V8V drivetrain would be bullitproof, the major components were shared with the higher horsepower V12 cars. Stuart, let me encourage your improved clutch/flywheel package. AM did not develop a retrofitable fix when they increased the displacement. You are going to own the market. The 6 speed 4.3L units in operation probably total 7 thousand or so.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
Agreed - as a soon-to-be owner this fix would be a the top of my list. Please keep us posted!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Stuart-
I'm opening up this old thread.

The lightweight clutch/flywheel package thats on your site and currently for sale, is that the newly developed "streetable" one, or the race one?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Stuart-
I'm opening up this old thread.

The lightweight clutch/flywheel package thats on your site and currently for sale, is that the newly developed "streetable" one, or the race one?
The package on our site is for the 'Street' setup - it is a robust replacement unit firstly, and performance item second. Meaning, it is similar in price to the OEM unit, but rated at a much higher clamping load. No compromise at all in terms of driveability, just as easy to modulate as the OEM. It comes in at about $500-600 more than an OEM setup, but I expect the longevity to be at least doubled, so it should be a good investment as well as performance improvement.

We do still offer the twin plate race setup - in fact we sent one out not long ago to a race/rally team in Australia along with the Race coilovers, but it is a much more compromised setup.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Thanks Stuart-What is the weight savings of the street setup versus OEM?

Also, anyone on the forum gone with the street setup? Would be interested in hearing their thoughts.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks Stuart-What is the weight savings of the street setup versus OEM?

Also, anyone on the forum gone with the street setup? Would be interested in hearing their thoughts.
I think it was about a 1/3rd reduction in mass, will look up the figures when I'm back in the office.

One of the first customers threw up a review here. Would be interested to hear some more feedback from him with more miles on the car...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/257868-rsc-4-3l-clutch-install-review-more-coming.html

Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Stuart, how many lbs does the package trim from OEM? Thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Stuart, how many lbs does the package trim from OEM? Thanks
The RSC website states 7 lbs.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks Brumma, I swear it was not listed on the site a couple weeks back....or I may be working too hard!

So that puts it at about 35lbs total, down from 42lbs. The origional (non-streetable) one would have been about 20lbs.