Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage - Coming from a 2008 M5, a few quick questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM
brettcp is infamous around these parts
V8 Vantage - Coming from a 2008 M5, a few quick questions

The lease on my 2008 M5 comes up in a few months so I've been thinking about what to jump into next.. I've lurked around this forum for a while to get familiar with the common likes/dislikes about the V8 Vantage (roadster).. the common complaint seems to be that it doesn't have as much power as one would expect.. I haven't yet driven a V8 Vantage, but am I going to be severely disappointed with the V8 Vantage coming from my M5? I understand they're two different beasts. I'm also considering a Gallardo, but I've always been in love with the looks of the AM.

Based on what I've gathered so far, I'd be looking for an 09 for the updated interior and power boost. What is the warranty on these? I've heard 4 years, unlimited mileage?

Any options I'd regret not having?

Thanks in advance!

-Brett

Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
A 2009 4.7L will accelerate as well as a 2005 M5. It will handle better, it will sound better and it has better style and interior. There is a surprising amount of interior space for things like golf clubs (not possible in a Lambo). People who have power concerns look at the price point and want the car to be measured against an F430 or a 911TT. The difference is looks, style finish and usability. I think that you will be satisfied with the driving experience. It really is a fun car to drive. I was about to buy a Gallardo when got my first Vantage but I realized that I wouldn't drive it as much because of the usability of the car and the attention that the Italians draw. It seems to be different with the Aston. I get a lot more positive comments and I can take the car to golf and the health club as well as long weekends.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I don't think you'll be disappointed. The V8 is probably a touch slower in a straight line than the M5, but handles better so on a track it's faster. And it looks and sounds so great you'll enjoy the drive every time. It's more raw of a car, so you won't feel like you're driving a slower car than the M5, IMO. Keep in mind that the digital speedo can run up to 10 mph slow during hard acceleration, so it might say you're doing 60 when you're really doing 70, for example, which surprises you when you think you're going faster than 60 and you look down and see the speedo. This is the opposite of BMW speedos which tend to run high...the speedo in my X5 always reads 5 mph faster than the car is actually going, which has the tendency to make you think the car is faster than it really is.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 11-30-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM
blayne is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
I don't think you'll be disappointed. The V8 is probably a touch slower in a straight line than the M5, but handles better so on a track it's faster. And it looks and sounds so great you'll enjoy the drive every time. It's more raw of a car, so you won't feel like you're driving a slower car than the M5, IMO. Keep in mind that the digital speedo can run up to 10 mph slow during hard acceleration, so it might say you're doing 60 when you're really doing 70, for example, which surprises you when you think you're going faster than 60 and you look down and see the speedo. This is the opposite of BMW speedos which tend to run high...the speedo in my X5 always reads 5 mph faster than the car is actually going, which has the tendency to make you think the car is faster than it really is.
I didn't realize that about the speedo. I have often thought I was going faster than the speedo indicated but never gave it that much thought. I took it to the track once and was surprised that on the one straight I was quite a bit slower than a buddy with a viper but we only compared what our speedometer said as we weren't out at the same time. Is that common knowledge or where did you find that out? Good to know especially when coming onto the highway or something. I take it the regular speedo is accurate although I never look at it.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
The warranty on the 09 is 3 years, unlimited mileage.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by blayne
I didn't realize that about the speedo. I have often thought I was going faster than the speedo indicated but never gave it that much thought. I took it to the track once and was surprised that on the one straight I was quite a bit slower than a buddy with a viper but we only compared what our speedometer said as we weren't out at the same time. Is that common knowledge or where did you find that out? Good to know especially when coming onto the highway or something. I take it the regular speedo is accurate although I never look at it.
I noticed this first when comparing the two speedos during acceleration and then confirmed it by doing VBox runs. The digital speedo really lags under acceleration but catches up with steady state driving and then is pretty accurate. With normal acceleration in traffic it typically runs 5 mph behind but during hard acceleration it runs 10 mph or so behind. The analog speedo is more accurate.

In the X5, the analog speedo pretty much reads 5 mph above the real speed in all situations. There is no digital speedo.

Porsche gets around this by having their digital speedos jump ahead in clumps to stay ahead during acceleration and, like most German cars, it is pretty optimistic (i.e. reads high) in most situations.

You can see what I mean in this video from RMRMD. Freeze frame it at different locations and you can see the digital speedo is sometimes 12 or 13 mph behind the analog speedo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiZnUwyPuA

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 11-30-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:48 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I also wanted to check the accuracy of the digital speedometer on my MY08 V8V--so on a long flat stretch in South Dakota, I set the cruise control on 80 (digital speedo), reset my GPS average speed and over a 20 mile stretch my GPS read an average of 82.6mph. I've never seen a motorcycle or car speedo reading less (steady state) than your actual speed.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 AM
astondude is infamous around these parts
It's hard to compare the bmw to the Aston. I have both cars and others. The Aston is fast enough for all practical purposes unless you are really into speed, then the Vantage V12 and Lambo or Ferrari are faster. Astons are about class and elegance and overall package...never about speed. Keep in mind also that the Vantage is a 2-seater. If you need a 4-seater like the M5, you'll be disappointed. Most Aston owners have several cars, so it's never an issue. The Aston is not the fastest car around (even the V12) but it's really fun to drive, handles great (even compared to my Porsche), and has lots of class. If you want pure speed and loud exhaust, then go for the Lambo. If you absolutely must have 4-doors and some decent power, then the Panamera or Rapide may work for you. I'm not sure when the new M5 will be out but I think at least another year or two. In any case, the M5, Aston and others are all great cars even though they are all different. It all depends on your needs and preference.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I feel like the digital speedo is not necessarily inaccurate, it just has a time lag and the refresh rate is not fast enough on it so it appears to be off when in reality it just refreshes every half second or so (again too slow).

The one comment the USA top gear episode that really was true is the 220mpg speedo on the V8, a total waste of space and I would have much preferred a 200mph max speedo with the intervals more spaced out for easier reading ... oh well. c'est la vie.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 11:52 AM.