Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Aston Martin Vantage S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 PM
klittlehale is infamous around these parts
For a sportier sport car, I am disappointed with the lack of a manual transmission. I was impressed AM only offered the manual for the V12, so this seems a rather contrary move away from the sporting car philosophy. And yes I do realize that the vast majority of buyers prefer a "automatic", yet I will buy a manual as long as I can find one. (One reason I bought the Vantage over some other cars I looked at.)

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
very interesting, so I guess no real big body changes for awhile then????

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
They are taking a page from Ferrari's book. As much as I like having a manual, the sportshift has the potential to be much faster. If they add a launch control this car will likely post some really good numbers. Just look at the Ferrari 458 and 599...they don't even have a manual as an option.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:57 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
With the different transmission, perhaps AM will have "shortened" the reverse ratio and fixed one of the minor irritants with the car...another hoped for improvement

Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
They are taking a page from Ferrari's book. As much as I like having a manual, the sportshift has the potential to be much faster. If they add a launch control this car will likely post some really good numbers. Just look at the Ferrari 458 and 599...they don't even have a manual as an option.
no manual, that sucks.....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DonL
With the different transmission, perhaps AM will have "shortened" the reverse ratio and fixed one of the minor irritants with the car...another hoped for improvement
Haha, I know right. Never owned a car with a significantly longer reverse gear than 1st gear. Very odd
________
Laguna Heights Condominium Pattaya

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
I have a hard time understanding what the extra value is in the S that can not be gained with off-the-shelf tuning, new cats, springs and exhaust. Aston is asking for a premium to create a car that is already available with a few relatively inexpensive mods.

While I understand the business case from their end to capture the money that is currently being spent on mods from RSC, etc., I just don't see the value proposition from the standpoint of the buyer.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Its just as you described... Aston is one of the few manufacturers that has really opened up their eyes to the world of "aftermarket" OEM Tuning. This is one of the many reasons why I believed they sandbagged the Vantage so much ... so that they could make even more money over the long run selling "upgrade" kits which in reality are only bringing the car up to its true original potential. Genius from a profits stand point, but not the most fair route for the customer.

After never turning a profit for decades, I think that their new approach to making profits is genius and it works which is why they are more profitable than ever now (and their products now show it post Ford ownership).

yes the OEM solutions are nice, but as you stated, the aftermarket usually has better solutions for less $$.
________
NATURE'S REMEDY WELLNESS CENTER DENVER

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Now, if Stuart and Co. can come up with another 75 hp from the stock 4.7, along with torque, AM will not stand a chance in offering an upgraded Vantage V8, regardless of the designation. The next iteration of a V8 should be in the area of 500 hp, and if that can be offered from the factory, there is really no reason for the V12. So, Stuart, find the extra ponies and lets push the envelope!!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
The 4.3 has more modding potential I feel than the 4.7. As is the case in the tuning world. Its usually the smaller earlier version of the same engine that's more tunable and high strung than the later torquey version (same thing with the e36 M3s and many other examples).

I still think Aston knew what these 4.3Ls were really capable of so they did every thing in their power to kill performance of the car so I wohld interfere with the V12. Think about it ... if the Vantage originally came with 430HP, there never would have been N400, there never would have been N420, there never would have been Vantage S, there never would have been Aston Power Pack etc etc etc etc etc .... In a world where models get stale in months and not years, manufacturers have to always make sure to leave plenty of room to expand models and brands. Mercedes also does this with a complete style redesign of any model line half way into the products life cycle in order to reinvigorate excitement for essentially the same model dressed up with new cosmetic (usually backwards incompatible) updates.

There is more precedent with this as well ... the original V12 concept (as per supercars.net) had 600hp and made over 100hp/cyl. I feel that same 90hp handicap has also been placed on the V8. I bet my life savings there is an even more extreme V12 coming down the road based on that huge performance margin between the V12 prototype and the production V12. I'm sure there will also be an Aston v12 upgrade pack as well for earlier models, in typical aston fashion . They sure do know how to relieve the burden of cash from their customer's wallets .

There is alot more to this theory which I will post once I do my writeups but based on alot of circumstantial evidence ... this was all planned long before the very first Vantage ever hit showroom floors. They really were thinking ahead this this new Vantage platform as a way of reigniting the brand, and more crucially providing increased revenue from multiple streams...

genius ... pure genius
________
Web shows

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
007-

I agree with both your assessment and conclusions. For my money, I am happy to pay a tuner to develop better handling and more torque that is more affordable than from the factory, on a dollar-per-horsepower unit basis. AM will always "upgrade" the models, peeling money from clients, and that is fine. I can only use so much extra hp; I'm not going to be tracking much, and city streets have a limit as to what you can do. My interest is to get a better feel, handling and stance from the car, adding some hp/torque and shedding some weight. I can do that on a 4.7 for about $9K with a tuner. That is less than what I would pay AM, and I have the benefit of not having to order a car and wait. By the time my car arrived, there would be a new model
There is a finite amount that each of us is willing to spend on upgrades, and YMMV. I can buy a 2010 MY convertible with Sport Pack for around $122K, add $9K in mods, and end up with a car that has the same hp and handling adds that the Vantage S offers.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
I like how they try to say that their system is better than dual clutch because its less complicated... LOL I have driven a few dual clutch cars...pure heaven. Thats almost a pre-req for my next car.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by DrScoles
I like how they try to say that their system is better than dual clutch because its less complicated... LOL I have driven a few dual clutch cars...pure heaven. Thats almost a pre-req for my next car.

haha, ya its not. Its basically a very cost effective way for MB to make a "dual clutch" system which behaves like a DCT or DSG or etc ...

Basically its their 7G auto (which has its own set of internal clutches just like a normal auto) that has then removed the torque converter and added a second set of wet-pack clutches in place of the torque converter. It should improve drivetrain losses to almost match that of a manual transmission, which will improve fuel efficiency of course. But there is still a heck of alot more rotating mass in that auto style transmission than a conventional manual tranny.

SO technically ... it is a "dual-clutch" system, but not in the true sense of the word.

Technically ... they are not telling a lie
________
VAPORIZER REVIEWS

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Superman07
A few highlights from that article:

- 430 hp, 10 hp more than in the base Vantage
- Adds 15 lb-ft of torque, boosting total twist to 361 lb-ft
- Fitted with Aston's Sportshift II seven-speed rear mid-mounted gearbox
- Coupe will start at $139,615, and the roadster begins at $152,615, including destination and gass-guzzler taxes
- Sharpened steering ratio, six-piston brake calipers, improved dampers and springs and wider rear wheels.
- carbon-fiber-finished front bumper, widened side sills and splitter and an extended deck lid
- 19-inch standard wheels with a V pattern, and an optional upgrade offers 10-spokes
- HID lights in front and LEDs in rear
- 66 lbs lighter
Curious as to whether this is the AM attempt to blunt the sales of aftermarket tuners such as RSC. I could see that they would want to capture the $$ that are currently being spent by AM owners post-purchase. Other than the new SS II and the CF enhancements, is AM trying to re-create the aftermarket packages? Has anyone learned what the "improved dampers" are? Are they improved from the base car or the Sport Pack?

Last edited by CRVETR; 02-13-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
GiveMeACheck is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage

Basically its their 7G auto (which has its own set of internal clutches just like a normal auto) that has then removed the torque converter and added a second set of wet-pack clutches in place of the torque converter. It should improve drivetrain losses to almost match that of a manual transmission, which will improve fuel efficiency of course. But there is still a heck of alot more rotating mass in that auto style transmission than a conventional manual tranny.

SO technically ... it is a "dual-clutch" system, but not in the true sense of the word.

Technically ... they are not telling a lie
this can't be right. You are saying that AM takes an automatic transmission, pulls the torque converter and puts an electronically activated clutch in its place?

I doubt this is the case....an btw, the Aston literature states the transmission is a single clutch.

Regardless of the 10hp bump, the new seven speed and deeper rear gear should make for a big step up in performance.

Looking at the pictures it is difficult to tell...is the S a V12 body with different wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Aston Martin Vantage S