Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Aston Martin Vantage S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
New Aston Martin Vantage S

AutoWeek has a story about a new version of the V8 Vantage: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110129948

Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Superman07 is infamous around these parts
A few highlights from that article:

- 430 hp, 10 hp more than in the base Vantage
- Adds 15 lb-ft of torque, boosting total twist to 361 lb-ft
- Fitted with Aston's Sportshift II seven-speed rear mid-mounted gearbox
- Coupe will start at $139,615, and the roadster begins at $152,615, including destination and gass-guzzler taxes
- Sharpened steering ratio, six-piston brake calipers, improved dampers and springs and wider rear wheels.
- carbon-fiber-finished front bumper, widened side sills and splitter and an extended deck lid
- 19-inch standard wheels with a V pattern, and an optional upgrade offers 10-spokes
- HID lights in front and LEDs in rear
- 66 lbs lighter

Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
looks like a lot of stuff that should have been done to the standard car. good stuff, though.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Sports Shift only, though

Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
It isn't anything we can't already do ourselves ... infact I already have most of those parts sitting in my living room haha. Still, its good to see them improving the car
________
property Pattaya

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Definitely a step in the right direction and a sign if good things to come. The weight loss is a good sign, but only 10 hp more? I guess they don't want to get too close to the V12 specs, but I bet it's underrated...so that when it turns out to be faster than the V12 they will say it's all in the weight loss. :-)

Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
RHYNO is infamous around these parts
It sounds pretty cool. 7 speed sportshift.....Mmmm I wonder if it will have a higher top speed? I really like the new seats.

Attached Images    
Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
RHYNO is infamous around these parts
Gaydon, 25 January 2011. The Aston Martin Vantage range comes of age with the new V8 Vantage S characterised by a host of new driver-focussed features all designed to push the honed dynamics of the standard Vantage to a new benchmark level.

Aston Martin's own 4.7 litre V8 engine has been engineered to deliver peak power of 430 bhp (436 PS / 321 kW) at 7300 rpm and torque of 490 Nm (361 lb.ft) at 5000 rpm and is coupled with a new ground-up developed Sportshift™ II transmission specifically designed for the Vantage S with seven short ratio gears to deliver the most engaging and intense driver involvement.

"The Vantage S epitomises every attribute of the V8 Vantage and pushes the driver experience beyond what we have offered before," says Dr. Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin, "It combines dynamic exhilaration with all the charming finesse, beauty and practicality already associated with the Vantage range."

Dynamic revisions are central to the Vantage S, with a quickened steering rack ratio of 15:1 compared to 17:1 on the standard car and a larger diameter front brake disc with new six-piston front brake calipers. New springs and dampers, and wider rear wheels also contribute to chassis revisions. A new dynamic stability control (DSC) system specifically tuned to the Vantage S along with a new brake module providing features such as Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA) which provides assistance in emergency braking situations, and Hill Start Assist (HSA). Bespoke tyres have been developed with Bridgestone to optimise road holding enhancing dynamic feel.

At the core of the Vantage S is the new seven speed Sportshift™ II automated manual transmission, offered as standard and delivers exceedingly rapid gear changes, twenty per cent quicker than Sportshift™. The extra gear permits shorter well-spaced ratios taking advantage of the optimum torque, which combined with a shorter final drive ratio of 4.182:1 delivers quicker acceleration and an enhanced sporting feel. The inherent benefits of a single clutch system reduces complexity and significant weight over a dual clutch solution. Sportshift™ II allows the driver to take an increased level of control, modulating the throttle pedal to achieve the desired type of gear change. In addition, the Vantage S features a 'Sport' button which quickens the gear changes and gives the driver a more aggressive throttle response while also opening the exhaust bypass valves across most of the engine speed range perfectly characterising the 'S' variant.

As with every Aston Martin, the Vantage S benefits from its own unique sound with a new exhaust muffler and bypass valve map, creating a very distinctive and highly vocal exhaust note.

The Vantage S is instantly recognisable as a true Aston Martin, characterised by its purposeful stance conveying its agility and performance capability. From the front, a new lower front bumper finished in perfectly-aligned carbon fibre houses a larger air intake feeding the engine and front brakes. The splitter combined with the extended deck lid 'flip' work in harmony to provide increased down force at speed. New 19 inch 'V' spoke wheel styles are available as standard, while an optional 10-spoke lightweight forged wheel option, reduces unsprung mass further. A new rear bumper and side sills optically widen the car.

Bridging the gap between road car and race car, the Vantage S is heavily influenced by the 2011 Vantage GT4 race car. The GT4 takes advantage of the Vantage's immensely rigid bonded aluminium chassis, providing the ideal platform for a race car. Minor racing safety modifications including an FIA approved roll cage and racing 'bag' petrol tank along with weight saving measures are made to the standard road car to convert it into a class winning race car. In 2010, it won its class at the Dubai 24 Hours following this up with further endurance race wins at the Nürburgring 24 Hours, Silverstone 24 Hours and Spa 24 Hours. It also won its first major international championship victory in the European GT4 Cup.
The Vantage S is available to order now from Aston Martin's global dealership network.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
To my knowledge graziano does not do a 7speed .... I am wondering if this new speed is derived from the mercedes benz MCT 7speed given aston & MB new friendly relationship ... the mct is used in both mid transmission and rear transaxle form (as in the AMG SLS) ...

Hmmmmmm
________
SuperBrunette

Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Nice...this is sounding better and better. Looks like Aston is getting more serious...keep it up! They're still sandbagging on the horsepower, though...and while they want to protect their V12 cars, they definitely can get well over 500 hp out of this engine reliably if they want to. Hopefully they'll keep upping the ante. If this one gets a good review it could be a big seller.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
Definitely a step in the right direction and a sign if good things to come. The weight loss is a good sign, but only 10 hp more? I guess they don't want to get too close to the V12 specs, but I bet it's underrated...so that when it turns out to be faster than the V12 they will say it's all in the weight loss. :-)
Easy. There is no replacement for displacement. I think we all know that every car even the V12 is capable of tuning that will boost the numbers a bit. The V12 is capable of 600Hp+. The problem of course is how to get that power down to the wheels and keep traction. What is most troublesome, is the "Porsche" style of special edition upgrading. I keep thinking how close I would have been to committing to a N420 and how pissed I would have been if they released this car 6 months later. From what i understand, the 4.7 doesn't have the same room that the 4.3 has for ecu flashing. 430 may be the top until they add direct injection and some other goodies. I think the real story is the transmission. The quicker shifting and 7th speed may mean that the gearing will change and get the speed on quicker. That would be cool.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
well, they'd probably need to add variable valve timing before direct injection baby steps!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:36 AM
elp_jc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
To my knowledge graziano does not do a 7speed .... I am wondering if this new speed is derived from the mercedes benz MCT 7speed given aston & MB new friendly relationship ... the mct is used in both mid transmission and rear transaxle form (as in the AMG SLS)
The SLS is the first Merc with a dual-clutch tranny, so obviously that's not the one in the AMV8. And the other AMG cars use an automatic with wet clutches instead of a converter, which to me is the best of both worlds (reliable with shifts as quick as DCTs). Ferrari also switched to dual-clutch transmission (DCT) starting with the 458, and I believe the California (not sure on that one). Those transmissions are extremely complex, and not proven or perfected yet. I'd avoid them at all costs if you plan to keep the car after warranty.

Originally Posted by maroli
well, they'd probably need to add variable valve timing before direct injection baby steps!
So the 4.3 (or 4.7) doesn't have variable valve timing? I'm almost positive it does, at least on the intake. Remember there're 2 kinds of variable valve timing: cam phasing and valve lift. The great majority of cars have the former, which is the most efficient. Only car with just the latter is Honda, with their ubiquitous VTEC, which is just a dual-stage affair (crap IMO). And BMW started using both with their 'valvetronic' system, which forgoes the throttle bodies once engine is hot (throttle is controlled by valve lift, rather than with throttle bodies -butterfly valves). But again, I wouldn't want that complication after warranty.

Last edited by elp_jc; 01-26-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Elp,

The MCT is not a true dual clutch transmision in the conventional sense. The MCT uses a single pack of wet clutches and is a hybrid between their conventional 7speed auto and a single dry clutch sequential transmission. The wet clutch packs make the operation much smoother than a standard single clutch sequential because you can slip it much more without degrading clutch longevity. A true dual clutch transmission will have two sets of gears, one surrounding the other at a larger diameter (almost like one cylinder sleeve surrounding a smaller cylinder sleeve) and they work in conjunction with one another. If you read the MB literature they even use quotations when they talk about it "Double Clutching Action" ... they are trying to market it as a true double clutch, but in reality its not.

Regular AMGs do no use wet clutch pack manual. The 722.6 auto (also used in porsche 911 as well) is a standard auto with conventional torque converter (trust me I've had half dozen amgs they are all good ol' fashion slush boxes minus the MCTs).

Hope that makes sense
________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Easy. There is no replacement for displacement. I think we all know that every car even the V12 is capable of tuning that will boost the numbers a bit. The V12 is capable of 600Hp+. The problem of course is how to get that power down to the wheels and keep traction. What is most troublesome, is the "Porsche" style of special edition upgrading. I keep thinking how close I would have been to committing to a N420 and how pissed I would have been if they released this car 6 months later. From what i understand, the 4.7 doesn't have the same room that the 4.3 has for ecu flashing. 430 may be the top until they add direct injection and some other goodies. I think the real story is the transmission. The quicker shifting and 7th speed may mean that the gearing will change and get the speed on quicker. That would be cool.
Agreed, but the V8 was only .5 slower to 60......with the small 10hp/15tq bump, half of a (female) passanger in weight reduction and revised transmission....it could be closer in speed than we think to 60. The v12 will of course pull away at greater speeds.

I wonder if they will do a V12 S? If so, I may need to trade in the V8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Aston Martin Vantage S