Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Spec Clutches now available for Astons ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
The difference in response times was due to the fact that I went to bed. No grand vendetta or witching here, Stuart.

I have neither the time nor the interest in experiments and games with you.

And if I wrongly judged the warranty issue with your parts, then I stand corrected and apologize.

I'm not going to continue in a tit-for-tat with you. We all have our own level of comfort, and mine is different than yours. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited by CRVETR; 10-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CRVETR
The difference in response times was due to the fact that I went to bed. No grand vendetta or witching here, Stuart.

I have neither the time nor the interest in experiments and games with you.

And if I wrongly judged the warranty issue with your parts, then I stand corrected and apologize.

I'm not going to continue in a tit-for-tat with you. We all have our own level of comfort, and mine is different than yours. Let's leave it at that.
Accepted, and I'm happy to put it to bed as well.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 PM
111R is infamous around these parts
Getting back to the original topic RE spec clutches...
I think I might be coming up on being in the market for a clutch and find myself trying to learn and decide between this and the RSC kit.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 111R
Getting back to the original topic RE spec clutches...
I think I might be coming up on being in the market for a clutch and find myself trying to learn and decide between this and the RSC kit.
Just for clarification if you are comparing the kits - I spoke to a tech at Aston Martin of Dallas about the spec clutches as they had installed a couple and a customer was trying to decide whether to go with one of these, or send his 4.7L unit to us. Since the Spec unit is just the clutch & not the flywheel you either need to budget for machining the face of the existing flywheel, or purchasing a replacement ($750 I think) from AM to go with it. Plus about $400 for the ancillaries.

I also learned from him that AM states that SS transmissions will not work properly with a refaced flywheel so an SS clutch change automatically requires a new flywheel. Our kit includes the whole shebang - although we can supply individual components, but it is $3100 if you don't include ancillaries.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM
111R is infamous around these parts
To clarify, and make sure I am reading this right, your kit includes the flywheel? Or your kit precludes the need for machining the flywheel?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 111R
To clarify, and make sure I am reading this right, your kit includes the flywheel? Or your kit precludes the need for machining the flywheel?
Our kit includes the CNC machined lightweight flywheel. The kit price includes everything you need to do a change - clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder/release bearing, flywheel bolts, rear main seal & transmission mount bolt.

If you buy the Spec kit, it works with the OEM flywheel. If you have a 6MT you can reface your existing flywheel or purchase a new AM unit. If you have a SS apparently you have to buy a new unit as a refaced one won't operate properly.

I brought this up because a customer I spoke to was pricing both kits up and seemed like there was some clarification required - he initially thought our kit was a lot more expensive but didn't realized that it is "the full monty." If I'm reading correctly from 007's post and the Spec clutch is $2500, then you would be at $3250 including a new OEM flywheel, + approximately $400 for the slave, bolts, main seal. Little less if you refaced your existing flywheel.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:13 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Hey Stu,

Correct, The Spec kit is just for the clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing. I do not believe the slave is included as well as flywheel. Spec was going to do a lightweight flywheel but they wanted 20+ owners to commit (which is a near impossibility) so I never bothered.

The RSC kit is the full conversion necessary and is a great kit. I would definitely recommend it for somebody looking to greatly improve the performance of their vehicle.

In fact ... while any owners are considering it, they should go ahead and get the 2-piece Brembo Rear Rotors for your V8V from RSC as well ... it really is almost a necessity on the V8V cars. You WILL feel a significant difference in how the car accelerates & and especially how it brakes just from the rotors alone. Get the carbotech rear pads, they will cure your squeal as well. Add the lightweight flywheel & clutch kit combo it should completely wake up any 4.3L V8V big time.

Hope that helps,

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 10-23-2011 at 05:15 PM.