Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Next gen v8 vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
I have no idea why Aston put such a tall gear in reverse. I wish they swapped out reverse for 1st gear and vice versa. A much taller first would have been alot better with a shorter reverse gear. Sometimes I wonder if they accidentally switched the two
Apparently a function of configuration and available space in the rear sub frame
ASM2 is air cooled giving up space and allowing reconfiguration

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jyeh74
Rumor has it is 2014 but probably just a minor refresh with more hp and better mileage.
I was at the factory yesterday
There is no news on Vantage replacement
They are busy reconfiguring for Rapide Zagota and Cygnet production
They have just completed the 2nd refresh in its life so I doubt there will be anything significant for a few years
They are committed to VHS platform so any changes will not be massive

Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
irvineboy is infamous around these parts
What year was considered the 2nd refresh? Are you talking 09+ when they introduced the 4.7L?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
I'm guessing he was referring to this year's refresh that brings 90% of the 2011 Vantage S content - i.e. quicker steering, sportshift 2, bigger brakes w/hill assist, etc. - to the base Vantage.

Not sure that there is really all that much differentiation between the base and the S now . . . 10 extra HP and a bit more torque, for $20k more?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
I'm guessing he was referring to this year's refresh that brings 90% of the 2011 Vantage S content - i.e. quicker steering, sportshift 2, bigger brakes w/hill assist, etc. - to the base Vantage.

Not sure that there is really all that much differentiation between the base and the S now . . . 10 extra HP and a bit more torque, for $20k more?
First refresh was the MY09 upgrades - 4.7 console sport pack etc
As you say the 2nd refresh was MY12 - brakes ASM2 box steering
Even with the new refresh the S is still quiet different you could spec a std car up to it but there would not be a lot in the price ( sport pack clear lights sports exhaust CF spoilers etc)

Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShawnBoston

The splitter and diffuser on the V8VS are made of carbon, similar to the V12V. But I doubt—even at AM prices—that it accounts for the $20K difference.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
I think the CF splitter etc. are £4000, so, $6,000+

The 'S' also includes the satnav, sills, sportshift etc. My dealer did the sums and it was cheaper to buy the S with that spec, than to buy a base model and add the options, with a 'free' 10 bhp, but he was trying to sell me a car at the time

But yes, agree $20,000 in extras does seem like a lot, although mine has £15,000 ($24,000) and that is without the sportshift. AMs are expensive !

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Would be pretty jolting to put the car in 1st gear, smash the throttle and have the car go full speed in reverse and then shift into second gear and have it come to a dead stop and start moving in the forward direction.
Hahaha no silly, I mean the RATIOS lol, not the gear position, that would be absurd

Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I wonder if they are going to use the new 5.0 jag motor coming in the new F-type in 2014 supposedly as well, or of Aston will now diverge from Jag now that they are under separate ownership during the developments of the new generation cars.

Should be interesting to see what they do ...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
I wonder if they are going to use the new 5.0 jag motor coming in the new F-type in 2014 supposedly as well, or of Aston will now diverge from Jag now that they are under separate ownership during the developments of the new generation cars.

Should be interesting to see what they do ...
AM have been moving away from Jag for a while
An ex factory R&D guy told me they fell out with Jag over the 5.0 SC engine in the current XKR, which is a shame
IMHO they are more likely to go to Merc or Toyota for new engines
Having said that they apparently recently signed an extension with Ford for the Colgne engine plant so I can't see a new type of engine soon.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 AM
But they are working with Cosworth. It was Cosworth that did the work on the One77 where they did some brilliant work to reduce the weight of the v12, increase the capacity and increase the power significantly, so they may stay with the same basic engine but get much more life out of it

Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I have heard the Mercedes engine rumor for quite some time but the only one they could use is the 5.5L which is a big jump from 4.7. It does however have cylinder deactivation which means the combined fuel consumption would be over 30mpg (kind of crazy to imagine but true as proven in the new slk55s which get 33mpg combined cycle from their v8.). Perhaps this is how they will meet their fuel efficiency targets, who knows

Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikey k
AM have been moving away from Jag for a while
An ex factory R&D guy told me they fell out with Jag over the 5.0 SC engine in the current XKR, which is a shame
IMHO they are more likely to go to Merc or Toyota for new engines
Having said that they apparently recently signed an extension with Ford for the Colgne engine plant so I can't see a new type of engine soon.
My fingers are crossed that they pick Merc engines over Toyota's.

Just as 007 has said, there were rumors were swirling around Merc amg engines in Astons, which people said should improve the reliability.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I thing the Mercedes option died when MB killed the Maybach , that was aiming to be a joint venture where AM worked on a new Maybach and took MB engines. Now AM doesn't have anything to offer the deal doesn't look as good to either party

Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought Mercedes is still cross collaborating with Aston. They used astons all aluminum architecture techniques to develop the SLS. Maybach may be dead yes, but I don't think the partnership is dead.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next gen v8 vantage