Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Door Mirrors - Auto Folding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM
amv8indc has a spectacular aura aboutamv8indc has a spectacular aura about
Door Mirrors - Auto Folding

The owners manual indicates to bring the car to a dealer if you wish to have your side mirrors AUTO fold in and out on starting/stopping the car engine. What exactly does the dealer do to enable this?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Hm, I thought it said if you want to turn that feature off, then visit the dealership. I'm assuming its a simple ecu flash toggle on or off.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
acabrera is infamous around these parts
Had my dealer do it for me and I assume that it is an ECU flash setting. I do like having the mirrors fold in for various reasons including reducing the overall width of the car especially in smaller parking spots. It's also a great way to know the car is locked (visually...and audibly because of the sound from the tiny mirror motors).

I do wish I could do it myself since there are other items in the manual, such as having the mirrors auto aim down when backing up. For some reason, the dealer tells me that that particular feature is not available on my DBS even though the manual says it is. I wonder if tools such as the CanOBD2 can actually allow you to make software changes, easily? I know it can clear some codes/messages.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
orangegrower is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by acabrera
Had my dealer do it for me and I assume that it is an ECU flash setting. I do like having the mirrors fold in for various reasons including reducing the overall width of the car especially in smaller parking spots. It's also a great way to know the car is locked (visually...and audibly because of the sound from the tiny mirror motors).

I do wish I could do it myself since there are other items in the manual, such as having the mirrors auto aim down when backing up. For some reason, the dealer tells me that that particular feature is not available on my DBS even though the manual says it is. I wonder if tools such as the CanOBD2 can actually allow you to make software changes, easily? I know it can clear some codes/messages.
The CanOBD2 plug in is a separate plug and will not let you make any changes like that. There is a second plug for those changes and the equipment is proprietary to Aston Martin.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
My manual states that if you press the "L" and "R" buttons at the same time and push down on the mirror adjust the mirrors should fold in ... or something like that.

I tried doing that, several times, and it never worked. I guess at the next annual service I may get them to progam the that as well as the "down when reversing" feature, which I found very useful in my previous P-car.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
In the MY10 vantage its available as an on-screen option to change auto fold and auto dip on the mirrors. When I press both buttons on the mirror control it shifts from pointing left mirror down to folding the right mirror down instead, which is something i don't think I'd ever want to do

Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Isn't the right mirror down more useful than the left? Parallel Parking, saving your wheels from the curb?

There is no autofold or autodip options in my onscreen menu (07)

Old 03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
acabrera is infamous around these parts
Both mirrors down are useful since I always try to back into an end spot in any parking lot. Right now, I have to select the appropriate mirror and then hold the button down until the mirror won't point down any further. Not the end of the world but it would be nice if it was automatic.

The best option is to have the rear view camera installed (which I'm looking into).

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by amv8indc
The owners manual indicates to bring the car to a dealer if you wish to have your side mirrors AUTO fold in and out on starting/stopping the car engine. What exactly does the dealer do to enable this?
I'm not sure if this holds true with all current models (09 to 11)
but I'm sure I've adjusted mine in the
Menu > Car Settings > Mirror Settings ??
(sorry, my car is currently stored, going by memory)
Once there - there are options for Auto fold flat etc

Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Isn't the right mirror down more useful than the left? Parallel Parking, saving your wheels from the curb?

There is no autofold or autodip options in my onscreen menu (07)
I had inquired a few years back if my dealer could program an autodip on my previous MY07 - Afraid not.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gekko
I'm not sure if this holds true with all current models (09 to 11)
but I'm sure I've adjusted mine in the
Menu > Car Settings > Mirror Settings ??
(sorry, my car is currently stored, going by memory)
Once there - there are options for Auto fold flat etc

This was an option starting in '07 and it could only be programmed by the dealer if the car was equipped with the ferature.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Not when you drive on the left, can't remember the last time I parallel parked on the right side of the road

Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
HA. I'm an idiot. I thought it said NEW ENGLAND, apparently you are in Northwest England!

Cheers!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:29 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
i like to use the buttons myself, because i tuck the mirrors in before going into my garage