Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Has anyone changed the shift knob?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
eelton is infamous around these parts
Has anyone changed the shift ****?

I'm not crazy about the stock shift **** in my Vantage. There's a pretty big gap between the plastic disc on top and the metal ring around it, so it collects dirt and doesn't feel all that great to grip. It's not much to look at, either.

Has anyone replaced their shift ****? And with what? I'm afraid most aftermarket ***** will look out of place--like with a big "Momo" log on top. I'm toying with this Sparco ****, which in red leather would match my black interior with red seats. It's also on closeout for $50. Whether it would fit is, of course, another matter--I'm wary of the "universal fit" claims.

(I did see this thread mentioning the DBS ****, but at $1200 it would be way too expensive to justify.)

Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, maybe a couple of Momo ***** would be unobtrusive and at least look comfortable to grip:

super anatomico

combat evo

shadow

Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
111R is infamous around these parts
Or the shift **** from the V12

Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eelton
I'm toying with this Sparco ****, which in red leather would match my black interior with red seats.
The Sparco one looks like cheap leather poorly fitted, its much too wrinkled to look right in your car

Old 03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 111R
Or the shift **** from the V12
Have seen the V12 ones on ebay, but they still go for crazy money (£300 - about $500).

Old 03-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Chipster is infamous around these parts
I had a Snake Oyl shift **** on my viper which was pretty much an 8 ball with a Viper Logo inside it. I LOVED it. It's a shame there isn't something similar for the Aston, maybe they could make one for you though.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 AM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chipster
I had a Snake Oyl shift **** on my viper which was pretty much an 8 ball with a Viper Logo inside it. I LOVED it. It's a shame there isn't something similar for the Aston, maybe they could make one for you though.
nice car bro. vt?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM
111R is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MichaelD
Have seen the V12 ones on ebay, but they still go for crazy money (£300 - about $500).
Well...one could say it is worth it. It will be produced as well as the billet pieces in the car already so the finish should fit. It should fit quite easily and frankly why go with an aftermarket that one can see elsewhere instead of the piece befitting an AM?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM
jrkr is infamous around these parts
I got this one made for one of my customer's & his 2010 DB9. Leather boot matches perfectly with the rest of the interior & the shift **** was made from a block of walnut by a friend who works on yachts. People told me it couldn't be done but it came out really, really nice. John.

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by jrkr
I got this one made for one of my customer's & his 2010 DB9. Leather boot matches perfectly with the rest of the interior & the shift **** was made from a block of walnut by a friend who works on yachts. People told me it couldn't be done but it came out really, really nice. John.
That does look nice.

Do you know how one removes the original shift ****? If it is--as as been suggested--based on a Volvo design, it should turn a quarter turn counterclockwise, but I don't want to force it without knowing.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:29 PM
jrkr is infamous around these parts
Correct. Push down & turn counter clockwise, you will have to remove the center console as it comes off with the boot though.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jrkr
very attractive.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM
StevenJMenna is infamous around these parts
I agree.....that one looks nice

Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I'll resurrect this old thread since I finally got around to changing my shift **** for that in the DBS. I bought it on the UK eBay site; I paid a lot for a **** that probably cost $20 to make, but a little compared to what dealers charge.

I like the feel and heft of the new ****. Obviously people know what these look like, but here are the before and after pics:

Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
bazonkers is infamous around these parts
I did the same change on mine. So much better looking than the stock Volvo ****. It IS a little cold in the winter so I bought driving gloves. Problem solved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed the shift knob?