Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How much is oil filter cost at dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I noticed that some questions were never answered.

Did an oil change 2 weeks ago at my friend's shop. The previous time I was there, he told me he would source a Jag/LR filter just to prove to me that they are identical, and that he was even going to cut it open to show me the inside.

True to his word, he had a Jag filter waiting when I arrived with my AM OEM filter. Here're some pictures. The only slight difference on the inside is a spring on the bottom of the Jag filter, which actually looks more advanced than the AM one. The groves are identical, so it did screw right in. The two filters have the exact same wording on it, both made in UK. Different color text and different font......

The Jag filter is 1/3 the price. (He also showed me a bottle of Jag coolant, exact same liquid, also 1/3 the price of AM coolant)

I know some people will say "if you cant afford it.... blah blah.....". I just don't like getting ripped off. $120 for a oil change, complete in 30 minutes.

We'll cut these open after we find a used Jag filter.

Last edited by cshsia; 03-02-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Savile Row is infamous around these parts
How much does oil change cost

Yep this is an old thread. I sold my V8V and bought a Lambo Spyder. I still love Astons and still my favorite but I just wanted to see what all the "fuss" was about with Lamborghini. Anyhow back to oil change. Very smart that you found the exact same filter from Jag will fit the Aston. Both filters are made in the UK I'm sure. Nothing wrong with paying less for an oil change. By the way, what model Jaguar is that filter for? the XK? Could be from the days when Ford owned both companies.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
bubba is infamous around these parts
I was told this is the exact same filter as the o.e. filter...
Amazon Amazon

I have no other info on it. Just passing along what I was told by a local "ace" indie mechanic ... before I went to the dealer for service ( because the car was still under warranty).

I'll let somebody else try it first.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
bubba, you still have your Aston?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM
bubba is infamous around these parts
Yep, sure do. Rolling into year 6 of ownership; I'll probably keep it forever.
Sadly, I don't drive it very often. Still dig it and smile when I pass her in the garage, I'm just into different things (for) now.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Good to hear. I recall that you were contemplating selling a while back.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
mark higinbotha is infamous around these parts
I paid $26.69 for my AM oil filter and $2.49 for the crush washer on the dry sump tank at the dealer and my tech said I could reuse the engine drain plugs since they are not torqued that tight and it doesn't distort the rubber o-ring that much. However my biggest savings was by getting the Castrol TWS oil through my BMW club discount across the street at the BMW dealer. AM cost was $19.20 qt and BMW for exact same oil $12.37.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by bubba
I was told this is the exact same filter as the o.e. filter...
http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-71.../dp/B000CB94Z4

I have no other info on it. Just passing along what I was told by a local "ace" indie mechanic ... before I went to the dealer for service ( because the car was still under warranty).

I'll let somebody else try it first.
Interesting. Well you can see from the pic that it's not identical (8 perforations on the bottom vs 6) but I'm not sure that matters for fit or function. I wonder if anyone on the board has tried this one.