Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Looking for suggestions to replace my current Potenza RE050 tires - AMV8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
eelton is infamous around these parts
Adding to an old thread, in case it helps someone...

I did replace my OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050s with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires, at 20K miles. I went with all seasons so I can drive on cold clear winter days here in Chicago.

So far, I'm very pleased. They make a night and day difference in the ride--it's much more supple now. When I first got the car (at 17K miles), the ride seemed harsh over bad roads. Much of that sensation was from the airbag rattling under the steering wheel horn pad--making a big thwack over bumps--and not really the ride. Fixing the airbag helped a lot. But now any remaining question of harshness is gone with the new tires. (The ride almost feels a bit soft!) They're also much quieter.

I haven't noticed any decrease in cornering ability, although I haven't driven all that hard. There actually seems to be greater traction, but it's unfair to compare worn tires to new ones.

The Continentals don't come in the OEM size for the fronts, only the rears. Since I had to go 10 mm wider in front, I did the same in the rear--245/40R19 front and 285/35R19 rear. That worked out fine.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I hear ya. The stock Bridgestones are terrible in terms of noise and ride. There are many tires which are quieter and ride softer at no expense to performance (and are cheaper to boot). The Contis are a good choice. Nitto Invos are also very good.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Does anyone have experience with the Continental ExtremeContact DW vice the DWS. The seem to have a little more perfomance but still have a good ride/noise?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Since I don't do high performance driving, I changed out the Corsas for the DWs. The ride quality of the DWs is much improved in terms of ride noise and harshness. Although, the sidewall is a little soft, so that it's not as crisp in turn in and not as sticky as the Pirelli.

Overall, I'm very happy with the DWs. Great all around tire and great in the rain. I have the DWS on my other cars and the DWs are definitely more of a summer performance tire. The tires are not really in the same category.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
ptaylor_9849 is infamous around these parts
I did Nitto Invo on my Z06 and they made a HUGE difference. They were much quieter and the car no longer tramlined (followed grooves in the road). The only drawback and this is subtle I know, but I didn't care for the smooth sidewall look. Otherwise, I absolutely loved them.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:48 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I did Nitto Invo on my Z06 and they made a HUGE difference. They were much quieter and the car no longer tramlined (followed grooves in the road). The only drawback and this is subtle I know, but I didn't care for the smooth sidewall look. Otherwise, I absolutely loved them.
Did you notice any improvement in the ride-quality as has been reported with the DW or the DWS?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
ptaylor_9849 is infamous around these parts
Dicktahoe, the ride quality difference was extremely good and very pronounced. The stock Goodyear run flats were like riding on cold, loud rocks. The rear wheels would break free very easily which left you with a very unsettling feeling. The Invos completely transformed the Z06 for the better IMO but keep in my that I am not a performance junkie. I strongly feel they would do the same for the vantage which rides a little stiff for my liking. I was looking for a softer and quieter ride and the Nitto's delivered BIG TIME. The difference in traction was also huge. The rear end would no longer step out when you really nailed it. The trade off was that they are not run flats but that is exactly why the Invo's rode sooo much nicer. Run flats ride terrible because the sidewall is very stiff.

Name:  Z06Nitto.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  95.8 KB

[IMG]https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/Name:  NittoInvos001.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  87.7 KB
Name:  NittoInvos001.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  87.7 KB

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 10-08-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i've got some Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my STi, and they're pretty damn amazing. fantastic wet and dry performance, and Michelin gives you a 35k-mile warranty. apparently if they have to be replaced before that 35k is up, the next set is discounted accordingly.

ride quality isn't too bad, either (but my STi's suspension is a bit stiff so i might just be numb to it by now lol). only shortcoming i've seen so far was on a dirt road, but... that doesn't really count.