Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Coolant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
darrensi is infamous around these parts
Coolant?

Just got the coolant low warning light on. Do I need to get special AM coolant from the dealership? The manual just says use Havoline OAT but I'm not sure what that equates to as an actual product.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM
eelton is infamous around these parts
From what I've read, the corresponding U.S. product is Havoline Extended Life Coolant (XLC), available from Texaco.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I would just top it up with a little distilled water. If the light just came on less then 1 quart would probably do it, and the dilution is insignificant.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Same issue here distilled water ok or Havoline?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Just top it off with Distilled water. Even if you add a quart it will have insignificant affect on the coolant properties with several gallons in the cooling system.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 AM
111R is infamous around these parts
Why not the same one that jaguar uses? I've looked for XLC for similar low coolant issues with no luck. Figured since the block is sourced from jag....right?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM
turboti is infamous around these parts
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but since the last reply was a couple a years back, wanted to see if there are any new types of coolant that replaces the Havoline OAT / XLC in the manual, especially since Havoline XLC is no where to be found.

I've searched and it seems the XLC OAT is the same as DEXCOOL in the states? Can anyone confirm?
I also read those horror stories of Dexcool in GM cars causing trouble. Any issues with our cars?

I'm planning on doing a coolant flush and wanted to see what's the best bet since i'm not going to be doing a complete drain and want something that will play nice with what's in there.

Anyone know what the Dealer is using right now?

Thanks all!
2007 V8V

Old 06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by turboti
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but since the last reply was a couple a years back, wanted to see if there are any new types of coolant that replaces the Havoline OAT / XLC in the manual, especially since Havoline XLC is no where to be found.

I've searched and it seems the XLC OAT is the same as DEXCOOL in the states? Can anyone confirm?
I also read those horror stories of Dexcool in GM cars causing trouble. Any issues with our cars?

I'm planning on doing a coolant flush and wanted to see what's the best bet since i'm not going to be doing a complete drain and want something that will play nice with what's in there.

Anyone know what the Dealer is using right now?

Thanks all!
2007 V8V
I just reviewed a service invoice from February '12 when the front timing cover seal was replaced on my '07 Vantage at Los Gatos Aston Martin. I had the fluid completely replaced at that time, instead of just a "top up."
The invoice states that "DEXCOOL COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE" was used.

Here is a link to the "Technical Bulletin" for the Zerex equivalent "OAT"
(organic acid technology) product: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_dex_cool.pdf
There is no statement as to the compatibility with our Astons.

As an aside, I just completed the same cooling fluid exercise for our '06 Dodge Grand Caravan which requires a "HOAT" (hybrid organic acid technology) fluid. Here is the link to that Zerex "Technical Bulletin": http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_g05.pdf
It clearly states the suitability for Ford and Daimler/Chrysler vehicles.

From what I can tell, the major differences between the two products are the "silicon from silicate" and the "reserve alkalinity" values.

As with any modern coolant change, be sure to use distilled water to "dilute" whatever product you use.

For the moment, I'm constrained to use the "DexCool" formulation as that's what is in the Aston. If I were to flush and drain the cooling fluid, I might seriously consider using the "HOAT" fluid, just to "get away" from the "alleged" DexCool issues.

Good luck with your cooling system maintenance!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:51 PM
DonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really niceDonBond is just really nice
Originally Posted by DonL
I just reviewed a service invoice from February '12 when the front timing cover seal was replaced on my '07 Vantage at Los Gatos Aston Martin. I had the fluid completely replaced at that time, instead of just a "top up."
The invoice states that "DEXCOOL COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE" was used.

Here is a link to the "Technical Bulletin" for the Zerex equivalent "OAT"
(organic acid technology) product: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_dex_cool.pdf
There is no statement as to the compatibility with our Astons.

As an aside, I just completed the same cooling fluid exercise for our '06 Dodge Grand Caravan which requires a "HOAT" (hybrid organic acid technology) fluid. Here is the link to that Zerex "Technical Bulletin": http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_g05.pdf
It clearly states the suitability for Ford and Daimler/Chrysler vehicles.

From what I can tell, the major differences between the two products are the "silicon from silicate" and the "reserve alkalinity" values.

As with any modern coolant change, be sure to use distilled water to "dilute" whatever product you use.

For the moment, I'm constrained to use the "DexCool" formulation as that's what is in the Aston. If I were to flush and drain the cooling fluid, I might seriously consider using the "HOAT" fluid, just to "get away" from the "alleged" DexCool issues.

Good luck with your cooling system maintenance!
In my opinion it's less of what you use as opposed to how often you change it. I would not use crap obviously as I would always use a hi quality product BUT REMEMBER this is an all aluminum alloy engine so corrosion resistance is KEY.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DonBond
In my opinion it's less of what you use as opposed to how often you change it. I would not use crap obviously as I would always use a hi quality product BUT REMEMBER this is an all aluminum alloy engine so corrosion resistance is KEY.
All coolant whether red or blue is corrosion resistant. The concentration typically used is way beyond what is required so even distilled or de ioned water can be a substitute in sensible quantities.

I would check if there is a leak since coolant in an engine is a sealed system.

If there is a small leak using a very small amount of coolant stop leak could solve it without high dealership prices.