Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bumper Material?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 PM
P-Gunna is infamous around these parts
Bumper Material?

What are the front fenders made of? While I was away working, my father noticed a small "rock chip" on the front fender that needs to be repaired. Only problem is, I don't know what the fender is made of or how to have it repaired...any suggestions??? TIA

Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by P-Gunna
What are the front fenders made of? While I was away working, my father noticed a small "rock chip" on the front fender that needs to be repaired. Only problem is, I don't know what the fender is made of or how to have it repaired...any suggestions??? TIA
Perhaps it something that can be patched over with some touch-up paint; i know that the AM touch-up paint kit also comes with some clear coat to apply afterwards. I would just use a really fine artist brush to apply both.

But I should say that I have not tried this myself. I have such a fear of rock chips that I ended up wrapping my entire car in a clear bra so as to avoid ever having to deal with stuff like that. The front bumper clear bra already absorbed a pretty strong nick to the front without any damage to the body or paint....very pleased about that.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by P-Gunna
Hood, roof, doors: aluminum
Front fenders, trunk lid: composite material
Rear quarter panels: steel/magnesium

Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 AM
P-Gunna is infamous around these parts
[quote=Racer_X;3196063]Hood, roof, doors: aluminum
Rear quarter panels: steel/magnesium[/quote

thanks for the info.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Hood, roof, doors: aluminum
Rear quarter panels: steel/magnesium
Roof is not aluminum, it is steel.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Magnet won't stick on my roof. I don't think it is steel.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Example blurb from the Internet:

"Aston Martin puts looks before aerodynamics and the engineers have made a great effort to ensure that the body panels look just right and are light. The hood, roof and door panels are aluminium, while the front fenders, tailgate and sills are lightweight composites. To get the deep curvature needed at the rear quarters, the side panels, which run from the door pillars back to the rear fenders are steel pressings. These could not be pressed from aluminum because of the deep draw needed – the amount the metal deformed when stamped – is too great. As they are very thin, the weight penalty is small."

http://www.fast-autos.com/supercars/..._V8Vantage.php

Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, I stand corrected.