Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can't shift to 2nd past 6K rpms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 AM
P-Gunna is infamous around these parts
Can't shift to 2nd past 6K rpms

I do not know if is something that I am doing incorrectly but under hard acceleration in 1st, the car will not let me shift if my rpms are past like 5500. I always have to let my rpms come down before I can shift. Why is that and what I do to avoid it besides shift earlier? BTW, I have the sportshift. TIA

Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Sounds like a software glitch of some kind maybe, or possibly clutch issues ...
________
Bondage Webcams

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Would definitely take it to an AM dealer to look at, especially since your factory warranty is more than likely still in effect....you should be able to redline each gear prior to shifting to the next (at least that's the case with my 6 speed manual).

Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Chris Lo is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem, and now even worse. It will shift to neutral if I shift higher than 6000rpm. Anyone know what is the problem???

Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I had a faulty gear positioning switch. So you might have your dealer check this out. It may save you some time troublehooting.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
kba
kba is infamous around these parts
Chris - I had this same issue and researched it as well. And found only two others that had a similar issue (now 4 including you and I), P-Gunna and another. For me it was a clutch failure not covered under warranty - which I was shocked at around 16K w/ sport shift. The other person had a bit less miles and sport shift also, but his was considered a warranty issue.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
IIRC both ASM1 and ASM2 have a rev limit in first to prevent wheel spin as part of the traction control.
Could be linked to that?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I had the same problem with MY 08 Manual. Turns out pins holding the clutch together had come apart and the clutch was failing. Car was still under warranty so they fixed it without charge. No real wear on the clutch plate, it was a "mechanical failure".

Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 AM
I had some clutch wear as well so I had it replaced at the same time but I am unsure if the clutch was the problem or the postion switch or both.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
Clutch

Had same problem on my 08. Clutch came apart fixed under wrrty. Take it in soon or it will leave you stranded like mine did.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by kba
Chris - I had this same issue and researched it as well. And found only two others that had a similar issue (now 4 including you and I), P-Gunna and another. For me it was a clutch failure not covered under warranty - which I was shocked at around 16K w/ sport shift. The other person had a bit less miles and sport shift also, but his was considered a warranty issue.
I have the problem when the there was only 9,000km on the clock. I send it back to the dealer and they said the clutch was still perfect, it should be the ECU problem so they re-map the ECU; however, when I got back the car, the problem was still there. Now I have another 1,000km run, the situation is getting worse and I send back the car to the dealer again. No idea if they can fix it.

Other than that I have a windscreen issue too, it started to crack along the antenna, and there is no stone chips at all. No idea if I am the only one have this situation.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I have got a reply from UK headquarter last nite.

"I can confirm that the dealership and our Technical Team here at Gaydon are in contact with each other in order to understand the concern with your car. Once they have an answer the dealership will contact you directly with and update."

Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I hope that you are able to get to the bottom of this and get it fixed. That said, I think I'm going to print a copy of this thread and keep it in my glove box so I can show it to the next cop who pulls me over. "You see officer? I have the check my clutch every now and that ... that's why I had to rev it to the red line"

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM
I was just informed that I need a new clutch!!! I strongly believe it's manufacturing defect. As I had similar situation when my Gallardo had less than 3,000km; finally the dealer repaired for me with no charge. No idea how Aston Martin is going to handle it.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
kba
kba is infamous around these parts
10,000 km is roughly 6,200 mi. Are you SS or manual? If manual its a possibility, but if SS I couldn't see how it'd not be a manufacturing defect (I think I'm one of, if not the, lowest mile (non-defect) SS clutch replacements on the site)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't shift to 2nd past 6K rpms