Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Power output on the 4.3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Supposedly the car was geared specifically for the Nurburgring. There is not even a 1:1 gear which is very odd.

Although I am usually a big proponent of diff upgrades .... If you plan on doing a lot of upgrades I would recommend against it. If you want to keep the car stock and get a quick boost, then it definitely is a good option. They say its the "poor man's supercharger" for a good reason .

If you do get gears, I highly recommend raising the redline to 7500 as you will need the extra rpms for sure.
________
Iolight review

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Higher top speed they can tout.
Like I'm ever gonna be going 175 mph.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brumma
Like I'm ever gonna be going 175 mph.
I agree. If I were unsatisfied with the acceleration, I would happily give up some of the top end to get a quicker car. Of course, there are other issues, such as rpms in each gear and gas mileage, but those concerns pale in comparison to the acceleration issue. It's a sports car after all.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Have any of you done the RSC upgrades or the Powerpack and noticed a siginificant difference that somewhat helps your power concerns?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Yes but I guess power is an addiction!
( I have both AM power upgrade and tubi exhaust. Next week ill have the RSC cats installed)

Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RPVantage
Yes but I guess power is an addiction!
( I have both AM power upgrade and tubi exhaust. Next week ill have the RSC cats installed)
Did you apply them separately or both at the same time?

Last edited by brumma; 05-19-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
I did the AM power upgrade then a month later the Tubi exhaust with K&N filters and then like a year later the 200 cel cats.

The AM power upgrade is good but it's much better if you put race gas.( like VP MS101 or 109) you will notice some difference at mid and top range and throttle response is much better with the race gas.

I suggest to do the power upgrade along with K&N since they are replacing the boxes.( is a pain to reach them ) and off course you will notice much more power if you do the RSC cats and the AM upgrade all together.

Last edited by RPVantage; 05-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:02 PM
AM Dragon Maker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brumma
Does anyone know what was the train of thought behind AM's decision to go with such tall gearing? Anyone? Mike?
Hi...

AM or any other manufacturer rationale will be similar.

Diff ratio and gearing calculated at top-end to get max speed - mainly, a factor of engine power and drag.
For 0-100MPH time you only really want 2 gear changes, but I would like to know what the back-to-back 0-100 times are with the different CW&P and 3 changes??
Long and lazy best for the emissions drive cycle.

These factors normally define the window and gears are 'spaced' around these to suit, paying particular attention to red-line and peak torque speeds - it is advantageous to make certain the up-shift from red-line means the torque curve is being 'ridden' correctly.

I think CW&P is a good mod, just look at Vantage 'S', but needs to be integrated well to avoid..
Tip-in / tip out could be a bit aggressive with too much of a change?
EMS limp home modes. The plausibility check sums going on in background are looking for a certain rate of change of acceleration for a certain torque request from a certain pedal input. Basically, the car might go into limp home for a measured acceleration rate outside the window of plausibility.
Traction control - not much good if the yellow light flickers and torque reduction request is initiated.
Would not advise for ASM

Don't get me wrong - i'm not a 'steady Eddy', but seamless integration is always at the forefront of any modification for me - no good to introduce a side effect - just my opinion...

Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Mike,

Do you have the ability to rewrite ECU code to fit the parameters on the new engine upgrades you are doing, or do you use a secondary controller?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AM Dragon Maker
I would like to know what the back-to-back 0-100 times are with the different CW&P and 3 changes??
. . .
Would not advise for ASM
I too would like to hear some actual data.

BTW, what is ASM?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I too would like to hear some actual data.

BTW, what is ASM?
ASM = Auto Shift Manual - English for Sportshift

Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
I would like to know what the back-to-back 0-100 times are with the different CW&P and 3 changes??
So would I!!! Suffice it to say there should be a noticeable difference. I would expect to see a big difference in 'in-gear' acceleration rather than 0-60.

Don't get me wrong - i'm not a 'steady Eddy', but seamless integration is always at the forefront of any modification for me - no good to introduce a side effect - just my opinion...
Well, this particular modification was tested in the harsh laboratory of a competitive racing environment prior to it's release to the general public. Performed admirably well and resulted in zero side effects. Good enough for me. As we all know Racing puts huge stress on all the componentry. Things that last 100,000 miles on the road can fail in 10,000 miles or less under race conditions. On that basis I'm happy to reccommend this piece for road use.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
So would I!!! Suffice it to say there should be a noticeable difference. I would expect to see a big difference in 'in-gear' acceleration rather than 0-60.

Well, this particular modification was tested in the harsh laboratory of a competitive racing environment prior to it's release to the general public. Performed admirably well and resulted in zero side effects. Good enough for me. As we all know Racing puts huge stress on all the componentry. Things that last 100,000 miles on the road can fail in 10,000 miles or less under race conditions. On that basis I'm happy to reccommend this piece for road use.
Hi Stuart.
No need to tell me the virtues of signing off on the race track.
BTW - What N24 racing formula regs permits CW&P change?
In 2011 the manufacture of a simple CW&P shouldn't be an issue for mech durab- it's pretty simple, the electronic integration would be the big one - race world has all that stuff switched off...

Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Hi Stuart.
No need to tell me the virtues of signing off on the race track.
BTW - What N24 racing formula regs permits CW&P change?
In 2011 the manufacture of a simple CW&P shouldn't be an issue for mech durab- it's pretty simple, the electronic integration would be the big one - race world has all that stuff switched off...
Of course not Mike, that comment wasn't specifically for your benefit, more of a general statement to anyone who might be listening on 'the internets'.

There are plenty of places to engage Vantages in Motorsports in various trim outside of the N-24 only series' you're familiar with. Nobody ever said we were taliking about an 'N24 racing formula'.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:22 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about

Stuart-

I don’t think that really answers the question – the concern was all about electronic side of things. As you say on a post on a previous page, you have only sold it to a couple of road customers, Is that enough data to show a high enough level of confidence needed to move the product to a wider audience from a company with your success to this point?

I ask because this is something that I am interested in adding, as it could be a powerful modification, and seeing as this mod is all about improving vehicle acceleration times I am curious as to the exact improvements realized after undertaking this mod.

Thanks

Last edited by CRVETR; 05-21-2011 at 02:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power output on the 4.3