Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Performance Driving Experience Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
KidRacer is infamous around these parts
Aston Martin Performance Driving Experience Question

Has anyone done this? If so, what did you think?

It's $2500 for the day and only a 5 hour drive from Chicago to the Ford Proving Grounds in Michigan. Thinking about signing up, but was hoping to hear first hand from someone who did it if it's worth it.

Thx!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
I don't know what involves in that course but I paid $200+ for a track weekend at inde motorsport ranch in AZ and it was 2 days of learning how to track the car it was awesome and well worth the money the only problem was that it was a porsche club and I was the only Aston.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
I have not taken the official version in Detroit but did a mini-school in a Vantage here through the local dealer. Aston Martin had a traveling version of their program that passed through Texas so I was able to enjoy the classroom and on track teaching by official AM instructors.

It was a blast. I came away even more confident in the car's abilities (especially braking) and more humbled at my level of talent. Well worth the time and money.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I'm thinking it would probably be good, but that you could get similar driving time and experience with a less expensive course. Like all things Aston, you're paying a premium for the name.

I took a Skip Barber "performance driving" course that was $3000 for two days and it was excellent.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
I would also suggest joining PCA or get a friend to get you into their DE. You can use your car and the instruction is actually quite good - and well below $2500 a day. I would also throw out anyone that wants to come to Sebring ... Suncoast chapter of PCA does this event many times a year and it is great ! Been doing it for ... oh crap when did I get old ???

Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KidRacer

It's $2500 for the day and only a 5 hour drive from Chicago to the Ford Proving Grounds in Michigan. Thinking about signing up, but was hoping to hear first hand from someone who did it if it's worth it.

Thx!
I'm sure there are quite a few other options out there, but I know half a dozen people who have taken the AM course and where all delighted with their day out (one person ending up signing up his wife & daughter . . so he must of really had fun)

I recently met three of the instructors who teach at the Proving Grounds, they are currently with the Aston Martin City tour with the Vantage S & Virage. Found them really down to earth & some really nice blokes!

I'm planning to do the coarse myself (plus you get you use their Aston - Currently Vantage, Vantage V12, DBS) but they mentioned cars are going to be rotated out soon, likely add a Vantage S.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KidRacer

Thx!
My friend took the official course outside Detroit and is still raving about it. He came back much more comfortable with his car while pushing it hard.

He said the best part is that you are driving and beating up on a Vantage all day that is not yours.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Thx![/QUOTE]
He said the best part is that you are driving and beating up on a Vantage all day that is not yours.[/QUOTE]

+1