Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:35 AM
Thom Morrow is infamous around these parts
Been doing extensive Googling. Is there 2 sets of fiber in the dash? 1- up behind display (HU) and 1-down farther(CDC) (that would require to pull out the cdc to get to the connector)?

Currently I have unplugged from back of the top of the display (HU) and plugged into Gateway 500, then other side of Gateway back to The back of display. (Confusing but its diagram 2a.)

Tavarish does 1c. install but doesn't sound like he removed CDC and just connects to the Heads Up display.

Thanks
Thom

Last edited by Thom Morrow; 12-13-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I replied to your PM but the short story is that mine did not work correctly until it was plugged into the CD changer box. Installation diagram 2a with Volvo XC90 DIP switch settings. I tried every connection method, talked on the phone with the vendor I bought the Gateway 500 from, talked with Denison tech support, and talked with a guy here from England who worked with the audio integration for Aston Martin and has installed dozens of the Denison units.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 AM
That is what I was afraid of. Looks like dash/console ripping apart time... NOOOOOO.....

Thanks for your help
I appreciate it!

Old 12-13-2019, 08:39 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
I replied to your PM but the short story is that mine did not work correctly until it was plugged into the CD changer box. Installation diagram 2a with Volvo XC90 DIP switch settings. I tried every connection method, talked on the phone with the vendor I bought the Gateway 500 from, talked with Denison tech support, and talked with a guy here from England who worked with the audio integration for Aston Martin and has installed dozens of the Denison units.
This was the way I have it as well. It's not that big of a job, actually.

My biggest problem is actually that I keep breaking the hinge for the nav door. It's a tab on the door and a loop in the panel and the loop cracks every time I pull that panel off. I've fabricated a new loop from epoxy but I can't figure out how to not break it again.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Update!!!
done. Used the upper fiber connector then made the fiber into 1c (95% sure if not then 2b changed twice now don’t remember). Moved dip switches to 2b Volvo and finally!!!

pulled apart dash and cd plug is not the same as others. It has two wires in it so how did you us it?

thanks
thom

ps dash disassembly was pretty straight forward just lots of connectors that big hands don’t fit well in.

Originally Posted by blue2000s
This was the way I have it as well. It's not that big of a job, actually.

My biggest problem is actually that I keep breaking the hinge for the nav door. It's a tab on the door and a loop in the panel and the loop cracks every time I pull that panel off. I've fabricated a new loop from epoxy but I can't figure out how to not break it again.

Last edited by Thom Morrow; 12-14-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:21 AM
R J
R J is infamous around these parts
Hello gents need your urgent help, i have aston DB9 iam not able to make dension working, i connect is 1c, DIP 1.4.6 ON and still see original CD Chander only. Help please.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:05 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by R J
Hello gents need your urgent help, i have aston DB9 iam not able to make dension working, i connect is 1c, DIP 1.4.6 ON and still see original CD Chander only. Help please.
Is it powered? Is the bypass module switch set to Gateway?

Old 06-25-2020, 02:37 PM
R J
Is it powered? Is the bypass module switch set to Gateway?
Yes its powered and switch is set to GW. I tried both switch possition. I spent whole day today by this installation and without sucess i think my modul is probably broken. Can you tel me what is your LED behaviour? I tought it should blink as an optical signal confirmation. But my LED is blinking even only power is connected. I mean even without any optical connection. Does your module do the same?

Old 06-25-2020, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by R J
Yes its powered and switch is set to GW. I tried both switch possition. I spent whole day today by this installation and without sucess i think my modul is probably broken. Can you tel me what is your LED behaviour? I tought it should blink as an optical signal confirmation. But my LED is blinking even only power is connected. I mean even without any optical connection. Does your module do the same?
I have a solid blue LED when running through the Dension. When on the CD player it blinks. No light without power.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:34 AM
R J
I have a solid blue LED when running through the Dension. When on the CD player it blinks. No light without power.
No light without power is clear but questioques if the LED is blinking when only power cable is connected. Means NO optical connection is pluged in.

Old 09-04-2022, 05:57 AM
peerware is infamous around these parts
I know this is an older thread but I only got my Aston recently and I found out it actually has an gateway 500 installed with a Bluetooth module via the aux input.
But I don’t get it to work. I have tried a lot of things, I have old iphones, ipods USB etc but nothing seems to work. and I can connect to the bluetooth device.

When I put the gateway switch to off the blue light starts blinking, radio works and the cd changer works.
When I turn on the gateway the radio quits and the screen where normally the text Is shown only shows the temperatures and nothing else. So it does something but it almost looks like it shorts the radio. When turning it off again the radio comes back after a few seconds.

Is this something known or maybe the dension gateway is dead?

Old 05-03-2023, 05:10 PM
Wormier is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by karlfranz
One of the things that surprised me about my Aston Martin Vantage was the lack of any aftermarket kits that would allow me to connect my iPod to the awesome quality Premium Audio system. Sure, the system has an in-dash 6-CD changer, but that is so 1995. Without the ability to play MP3 files, even six CDs isn't a very large amount of songs before you need to swap out a disc. Aston Martin sells an iPod integration kit that can be installed by the dealer, but reports on the forums claim it costs over $1,500US to get the system installed. I was looking for a solution that I could install myself for a bit less money.

The Vantage uses MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) which utilizes fiber optic cables to carry entertainment system information throughout the car. This means that you can't simply patch in an analog audio cable into the stereo and start playing music. I thought about using a direct-feed RF modulator, but reviews of many of those products mention that the audio quality is not too good.

After doing an exhaustive search on the Interwebs, I came across a company named Dension (from Hungary) that makes a kit to interface to cars equipped with MOST-based audio systems such as Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Saab, and Volvo. There was no application information for the Vantage and very little in terms of documentation, installation, or instruction manuals. What little information I got was based off a few Youtube videos and a couple of emails I sent to the company's pre-sales support department. Even with this little information, I decided to take a chance and get one of their interfaces and see if I could get it to work.

I had already removed the facia panel over the center console to get it refinished in Piano Black, so I was able to peek inside the center stack and notice that the infotainment display and the fiber optic cables that feed it are very accessible. So I concocted a temporary cable to take power from the 12V outlet in the center console and hooked up the unit per the diagrams. The interface has a series of DIP switches on one side that need to be set up for each particular application. Seeing as there is a large Volvo sticker on the top of the CD changer (visible with the facia removed), I figured that was a good guess for which setting to choose.

The unit comes with a remote switch that has a pair of analog RCA inputs. The switch is used to bypass the unit so that the dealer's diagnostic equipment doesn't detect it and cause any errors. It also has inputs for a USB storage device (thumb drive) and an iPod with Dock Connector. I also purchased the optional Bluetooth Adapter which allows you to stream music wirelessly as well as make phone calls through the in-car audio in some vehicles.

After playing with the settings for a few minutes, I was able to see the interface's menu's on the infotainment display. Once I saw this, I was able to configure the unit to play audio from all the sources and have it come out the car's speakers. It sounded fantastic. To say that the interface is cumbersome to operate would be a MAJOR understatement. It is not easy and, in fact, it might be better to attempt while pulled off on the side of the road, or by a passenger to avoid you being distracted while driving. Once it is set up, however, you can see the artists or song names on the display, and you can use the dash controls to play the next or previous song in the album or playlist.

Once I was convinced the system was going to work priorly, it was time to make the installation and conceal the unit and cables. My car is spec'd without Navigation, so there is a big cavity where the display would normally go that was more than sufficient for the interface and the Bluetooth adapter. Some of my goals with this installation were to make it as invisible as possible as well as making it fully reversible if necessary. Rather than drilling any holes to mount the unit, I chose to use some industrial grade velcro type fasteners to adhere the components to the surface. You can see the location I chose under the facia in the attached pictures. Most people choose to install iPod kits with the iPod itself in the glove compartment. However, the storage space in the Vantage's glove compartment is tiny and mostly occupied by the owner's manual. My idea was to simply have the USB stick and iPod tucked away under neath the rear shelf compartment. That way it is out of plain sight, yet easily accessible without having to make any permanent installation. To do this, I had to disassemble the center console and route the cables for the USB and iPod Dock through it. I also tapped off the back of the ashtray's 12V power plug socket and routed the cables to power the unit.

Some additional notes:

- I am able to place calls from my phone and have them play via Bluetooth through the car's audio system and the supplied microphone, but receiving calls doesn't seem to work as well.
- I don't know of my car already has the phone's microphone pre-installed even though I don't have the built-in phone option. It would be nice to use the car's microphone instead for a truly professional solution.
- Playing the iPhone 4 through Bluetooth is nice, since you don't even have to remove it from your pocket. However, even though the audio quality is very good, it is noticeably better when the phone is plugged into the Dock connector. Also, you don't get song names or other info on the car's display when you use the Bluetooth Audio.
- When you plug in the iPhone 4 a message pops up on the phone's screen stating that it is not compatible with this device, but once you click OK, it works perfectly and charges it while you play!
- The Dension interface cost me about $450US and the Bluetooth adapter was another $80. I also bought a set of longer cables so I could locate the ipod under the rear shelf, far away from the interface. Overall, my savings were substantial compared to the Aston Martin iPod Integration Kit.
- Installation took me 2 evenings.
- If you are not handy with tools, electronics, or working on car interiors, I would definitely not recommend that you attempt this yourself.
- Please feel free to ask questions.
I am in the process of doing this myself, with MY07 Vantage.

Did you use the FO cable that was plugged into the display screen, or did you use the cable that goes into the CD changer itself?

I spoke Dension support, and they say I must use the FO cable that goes into the CD changer itself. I am unable to reach that cable, or to figure out how to pull out the CD changer itself.

Also, you mention using diagram 1C for your wiring. My unit only comes with 2A/B & 3A/B

Old 05-03-2023, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
I am having this problem. I’ve tried all other connections through the display unit connection, and while I can power and connect to the Bovee, I cannot get sound to come through the car speakers.

Can you please tell me how you got to the back of the CD changer? I can’t find a video or description anywhere.
thank you

Old 05-03-2023, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by MatLi
Hi guys.

Just wanted to share with you that I finally performed the Dension GW500 installation into my Vantage 2007 as well. What helped me was this forum, enough time and good preparation concerning material - and "a plan".

I managed to get it all to work just as it should. For the Bluetooth feature I decided to get myself a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2"]Bluetooth to AUX module from Amazon. I am basically able to play back Bluetooth audio from my Android and iOS phones. I am going to add handsfree features sometime later next week.

I tapped the power from the cigarette lighter socket. Really be careful if doing so since you do not want to cause a short between 12V and ground. I did not cut any of the wires but instead I created a small cable adapter that connects between the original cigarette lighter power plug and the cigarette lighter power socket.

iPod integration is working fine. Currently in UI mode. I am using the iPod nano with http://www.apple.com/hk/shop/product/MD823AM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter"]Lightning to 30-pin Adapter
from Apple.

The bypass unit as well as the Bluetooth AUX module and USB port (for external drive) are all located behind the passenger seat in the small compartment area. All cables routed through the center armrest all the way back. It required the cable extension to be installed.

Overall I was very careful, very thorough and took as much time as needed without pushing myself too hard. All in all 5 hours. I did not encounter any major issues. I connected the Dension unit with dip setting 2b (1,4,6 on) and diagram 1C just like others suggested. I did not touch anything on the original CDC. Removing panels was easy as anticipated; a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNBLTK"]set of good tools
did the trick.

Chris.
Hello. Do you happen to have a diagram of this 1C connection? I have the Dension 500 as well and it only has 2A/B & 3A/B.

cheers

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-03-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:34 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sdekoning
And was it helpful...YES!

I got the system working as per Ethan's instructions from AMOC last night. Proof again that forums are key in sorting such issues: there isn't simply a better way of sharing knowledge. A big thanks again.

To add on the information from AMOC, below the schematic to be used when you have the LINN950W system on your early DB9.
i also can confirm this worked on my 2007 vantage. I was confused at first but there IS a fiber optic plug that goes in the back of the CD changer AND it’s not the one that’s plugged in behind the display. I literally had to unplug all the switches in the main center stack, remove it, loosen the CD changer (two screws) and remove the cd changer to get access to the plug. Once I used that set of fiber optic wires, it worked just fine.

Edwin

Fiber optic lines behind the CD changer

You can see there’s two fiber topic lines. The one that’s behind the CF changer and the one that’s plugged to the display

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project