Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM
droffsite is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I know it's a bit confusing looking at the diagrams because there is no Installation Type that perfectly matches our cars with both a CDC and an ICM display. If you substitute the oval shaped multimedia device in Installation 2b with the CDC, then that most closely matches my installation.
Installation type 2B, both cable-wise and DIP switch settings, is what I'm using (the display being the head unit, in this case). The trick to making that work was swapping the 2 fiber optic cables so that the cable with the "Car side" tag on it had the light path indicated in that installation diagram. Dension had assembled that pair of cables backwards from what the picture shows (in was out, out was in).

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Yes, I can't make any guarantees, but I suspect the Dension unit will work in your situation. It essentially fools the rest of the car audio into thinking it is a CD changer. The unit comes with a remote switch that tells the audio system which CD changer to use.

Tapping power off the back of the cigarette lighter is easy, but if you're an amateur, I would still get a more technical-minded friend to help you.

The honeycomb pattern facia looked a bit out of place or cheap in my my car's interior. I think the piano black is more in character. I'm very happy with the result. Don't skimp on the paint shop. I would go to a custom hotrod or cycle shop like I did, since they specialize in this sort of thing and you should get the results you want.
Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to pickup a Dension 500 this week, hopefully tackle the project over the July 4th weekend.

Can you let me know what tapping the power involves? I've recruited a few buddies from work, while we're not electrical engineers by any stretch, we've all done a few soldering projects in our days. Would I need to buy any connectors, electrical tape, or wires to tap the power?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Engineer is infamous around these parts
Vanquish s install

Just installed gateway 500 in my vanquish s. 1 hour max. Confirmed 2b install with volvo s40 dip switch setting. If cd 2 shows as missing on your install, then you are stuck in ipod ui mode. You shuld notice no song titles on the display too. Just switch to ipod gw mode. Select cd 6 track 3 and press and hold the next track button for 3 seconds. You will now have songs titles on the display, cd 2, and ipod click wheel is disabled.

By the way, got mine for $500 from george meyer at car stereo company in mountain view. Nice guy and stock on hand.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 AM
spainconection is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Engineer
Just installed gateway 500 in my vanquish s. 1 hour max. Confirmed 2b install with volvo s40 dip switch setting. If cd 2 shows as missing on your install, then you are stuck in ipod ui mode. You shuld notice no song titles on the display too. Just switch to ipod gw mode. Select cd 6 track 3 and press and hold the next track button for 3 seconds. You will now have songs titles on the display, cd 2, and ipod click wheel is disabled.

By the way, got mine for $500 from george meyer at car stereo company in mountain view. Nice guy and stock on hand.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:21 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
For those of you who have now also installed the Dension unit, I have a few questions:
  1. Have you noticed the currently playing song muting for about one second each time you press the Next/Previous Track buttons to navigate the Disc 6 menus? (I'm using a portable disk drive attached via USB).
  2. Have you noticed the menus to be very slow? For example, it seems like when I go to disc 6, I must wait for the word "Menu" to fully scroll to the left off the screen, before I can select the other options. I don't know if this is normal, but it can take several seconds to display the next song, artist or other menu item. Because of this, it can literally take me minutes to switch from one artist to another using Disc 6 and the Next/Previous Track buttons.
  3. I notice that when a track is playing, the track info scrolls twice then switches to just displaying the Track Number. Is there a way to have it continuously scroll the Track Artist/Name?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Karlfranz,
Noticed all the issues you mentioned. No way around it. I guess that's what we get for $500 versus ws $2000 and a trip to the uk!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
patrickxkim is infamous around these parts
Will this dension kit also work on a 2006 DB9?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM
spainconection is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by patrickxkim
Will this dension kit also work on a 2006 DB9?
yes ,work on 2006 DB9

Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
dehnert is infamous around these parts
Damn. I used to joke that when I had my 2006 Vantage they dealership told me the only way to get an iPod connection was to buy a newer car. So I bought a 2008!

Thanks for posting the instructions too. I can see that i can use this to get an iPod connection into my 2002 X5 now too.

Does anyone know if this will support a video feed too? I havent looked into the info for the nav screen on the Aston Martin, but I know I can add additional inputs to the nav screen on my BMW. I have been thinking of adding a FLIR camera to my BMW to better deal with the foggy nights that we get up here at times. (and because its just a damn cool toy!)

Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Dehnert,
The aston screens can support additional video inputs, but it is not a simple plug in. They work on an analog setup with split hor, vert, and freq control.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Bluetooth anyone?

Karlfranz,
Can you tell me how your bluetooth functions? Does it use a mic in the car or a mic on the phone? I assume you did not have bluetooth before the gateway install? If you are not using the gateway mode (fm radio), then how do you know the phone is ringing?

I have factory bluetooth, but it is starting to give problems connecting. I am thinking about using the gateway instead.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:51 PM
By the way, i have abandonded the gateway mode and revert to ipod ui mode. The problems karlfranz mentions above were simply too annoying after about a month. Just use the ipod screen and clickwheel.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Engineer
...i have abandonded the gateway mode and revert to ipod ui mode..
How does one do this?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by sonnyd
How does one do this?
Comes from the factory in ipod ui mode unless you switched it to gateway ui like i mentioned in post 33. The instruction manual tells how to reverse process in post 33. I'd have to dig for it to get it exactly.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
No, that ought'r do. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Premium Audio iPod/USB/Bluetooth Integration Project