Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sirius Radio?....Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Stupid me, I called Sirius to update the info when I bought my car (I didn't want the old owner to get hosed with any fees). They promptly turned off the Sirius and said I would have to re-buy the subscription.

So if you have Sirius now, don't call and try to make changes to account, such as adding internet access.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM
ATX G8R is infamous around these parts
Boys, motivated by the helpful responses I called back. It wasn't pleasant or short (1.5 hrs), but victory was mine in the end. Or looks like it, anyway. Here's what happened: Using the first sentence of the Customer Service Agreement which states "A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment," I argued the lifetime subscription stays with the equipment no matter who owns the car. Sirius countered with, but the following language means it does not transfer "Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed in a vehicle by an automaker or an automotive dealer, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of Sirius or XM, it is defective.". I argued that the "Automotive Receiver" language can only mean that if you have car A with a lifetime subscription that subscription cannot be transferred to car B. Instead, the subscription must stay with car A and, in fact, the "Automotive Receiver" language is only meant to distinguish the transfer right with respect to "Non Automotive Receivers" that can be transferred - the sentence in section C.9 of the Customer Agreement that proceeds the "Automotive Receiver" language.

We went round and round through the person who took the call and 2 supervisors. I'm convinced my interpretation is correct, otherwise the first sentence that describes the lifetime license attaching to the equipment (and not the subscriber) would have no meaning. The "Automotive Receiver" language is consistent and prevents the A to B transfer. Anyway, the morons on the other end refused to agree with me and when I asked for the 3rd supervisor up the chain they put me on hold and came back and asked "what kind of Aston do you have?" When I told them a DB9, she said "oh, yes with that car you are entitled to a lifetime membership even when ownership transfers." This at the 1:28 minute mark (not counting last night for 40 minutes). I said great, let's do the paperwork. She claims that I have to have the dealer where I bought the car reinstate the lifetime subscription. I've got an email into them so we'll see what happens tomorrow/this week. Not sure what they would have said if I told them I bought the car in a private transaction. And I'm not yet convinced that this process will not start all over when the dealer (Atlanta Aston Martin) tries to help me out....

In any event, my apologies for the long email, but thank you again for the tip and reference to their Customer Service Agreement.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
btw: for anyone thinking of making the same type phone call, I used Sirius' own press release to support my reading of their Cuatmer Agreement...

http://investor.sirius.com/releasede...leaseid=256349

Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I don't agree with your interpretation. I think the language of the customer agreement is very clear. The "lifetime" is only for the original equipment and to the original owner and not transferrable to another car or to another owner.

I wish you luck in getting it transferred to you. However, I wouldn't be surprised if getting that done turns out to be more of a gesture on their part to make you go away than an admission that you are correct. I.e. If you do manage to get it transferred, I wouldn't expect this to mean that anyone else will be able to get this done any easier.

Again, good luck.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Wow. Even Sirius has confused themselves because they messed up the wording of their stupid document. For automotive, they talk about the "receiver associated with the Lifetime subscription" then talk about person to person transfers when the equipment is stolen or damaged. Why would a stolen or damaged receiver require a "person to another" transfer? It wouldn't.

The intent is that the subscription is supposed to stay with the car and prevent people from transferring the subscription from the car to something else. Given what a disaster that company is, it doesn't surprise me that they can even get a competent lawyer to right their service terms.

I wonder if anything came with the car that spells out the subscription. I'll have to check.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
I had zero problems getting Sirius turned on. When the agent asked for the radio ID number that should pop up on the display and I told him it ddin't have one, he asked what kind of car. Once I told him Aston, he said the subscription goes with the car, i.e., it is lifetime and not some kind of trial. And I bought my car from an independent dealer, not AM, so that wasn't relevant.

I agree the language of the terms is confusing because of the person to person transfer bit when discussing damage (that shouldn't be in there, really), but it's the first part about the subscription attaching to the receiver that matters.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
I should have also copied this for you guys, which I find to be pretty clear, since it is unencumbered with some of the language in the other paragraph.

5. Right to Transfer a Subscription: Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions (other than Lifetime Subscriptions) are transferable from one Receiver to another. A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION (WHICH IS A SUBSCRIPTION THAT CONTINUES FOR THE LIFE OF THE RECEIVER) IS NOT TRANSFERABLE IF IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH A RECEIVER INSTALLED BY AN AUTOMAKER OR AN AUTOMOTIVE DEALER IN A VEHICLE, EXCEPT IN THE EVENT THE ORIGINAL RECEIVER ASSOCIATED WITH THAT LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION IS STOLEN, ACCIDENTALLY DAMAGED OR, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, IS DEFECTIVE. A LIFETIME SATELLITE RADIO SUBSCRIPTION ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME, PORTABLE OR DOCK & PLAY RECEIVER IS TRANSFERABLE FROM ONE RECEIVER TO.ANOTHER RECEIVER, UP TO A MAXIMUM OF THREE TIMES. Permitted transfers are subject to a transfer fee.

Keep in mind that "NOT TRANSFERABLE" in the 2nd sentence refers to the receiver mentioned in the first sentence, not a person. Notice in this entire paragraph 'person' is not mentioned at all. What they are prohibiting is you from installing a new Sirius radio in your Aston and then wanting to transfer the subscription to that piece of equipment. Like I said, Sirius goes with the car.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks, XJRS. I quoted this provision to them, as well. Obviously, based on my post, I agree with your interpretation of their crappy contract language. That said, it's easy to understand (or should be easy) that the language states the lifetime subscription stays with the equipment and not the subscriber. In fact, no language refers to the subscription staying with the subscriber. Period. Anyway, Aston of Atlanta responded to my email and said they would take care of getting my equipment signed back up for the lifetime subscription that originally came with my car. I'm hopeful I can report back soon that it's a done deal. Thanks again for your help.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I should have also copied this for you guys, which I find to be pretty clear, since it is unencumbered with some of the language in the other paragraph.
…<snip>
Well that changes things. I agree with you guys now. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Update: got a message from Aston Atlanta that they called Sirius and signed my car back up for it's Lifetime Subscription. Told me it went fine. I guess I'll know for sure in 3 months since it was already on from the 3 month trial run they provided me when I made my first call. In any event, I appreciate everyone's help (especially XJRS who got me going on this).

Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
gsrjc is infamous around these parts
where the button for sirius?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 AM
ronev is infamous around these parts
I just bought my 08 AMV8V Roadster....with lifetime Sirius. I called Sirius with the VIN and radio ID, and all they had to do was update the ownership info.

It's great, because I can't make a trip to the grocery store without XM/Sirius.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 AM
ronev is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gsrjc
where the button for sirius?
Hit the "Mode" button, and scroll through the choices.