Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help Me pick a car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:31 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
If they had to order the modules from Aston, they would be getting the newer revised versions from the England manifacture..in this case they would have to replace both of them even if 1 module took the boot. The newer door module doesn't function with the old modules from Spain.. If there replacing only 1 module it's becasue they had a old one left in stock at the dealership..

As for the window....hehe exploding or butterfingers?? I've never had a glass "explode" on me, and I've replaced dozens of these door latchs and lock barrels..so I'll reframe and say "no comment" ..lol

..sry this is off topic, I don't mean to jack the thread
He said he replaced the passenger door lock, but the driver door was still not working, so they had to replace that too. So I guess this doesn't clear up if the parts they had at the dealer (which has only been open for about a year) are of the new design or if they stock both kinds.

I've heard from others that there is a critical fine line between just tight enough and too tight when adjusting the window glass to the regulator and this is what causes the glass to explode. Guess you've been lucky, but now you've gone and jinxed yourself.

Apologies to the OP for the hijack as well.

Cheers.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
R8 V10 or V12V

The supersport is crazy fast with a beautiful interior, but is simply too large to play in the realm of what you are looking at IMO.

The 911Turbo S is crazy fast, but was not special enough to me. Just another Porsche.

The "Maserati" California is a good car, but you will always wish you spent a bit more and bought the 458 which is one of the best cars the marque has ever made.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
OK, I have driven all of the cars and I own the V12V. The fact that you can't find one to drive tells you how exclusive this car is. Having said that, The Porsche is faster but is one of 100,000+ 997 versions out there that doesn't have a real trunk for any kind of daily use. Forget about golf clubs and a number of other storage possibilities. The R8 has a similar problem but is definitely more exclusive. The California has better usability but there is no 6 speed if that is important. The California will always be "The Other Ferrari". It's sort of like a Boxster. It's a great car but you will be looked at differently for choosing it. The Bentley is a great car and very easy to drive. It feels like a yacht, a really fast-a$$ yacht. In some ways it's the best daily driver because of it's storage, easy driving in traffic and yet it is still quick. In some ways you should probably consider a DBS in the Aston world as opposed to the V12V. It is very fast, has a bit of a back seat and room in the back for gear. It has a auto option and is probably the best looking car made. I would have gotten one if I were going to drive the car in different situations. As it is, my V12V is a weekender that I take to nice restaurants and still cut up a back road on the way. It is the perfect combo for me.

Last edited by jaymoney; 09-13-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
For me, it would be V12 vantage or Ferrari California.

Never liked the styling of the R8. The 911 turbo is a great car, but it's not an exotic like your other cars.

If I was looking now, I would probably get a F430. There are so many low mileage 3 year old cars that you can get for a song.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by seattle_sun

Never liked the styling of the R8. The 911 turbo is a great car, but it's not an exotic like your other cars.

If I was looking now, I would probably get a F430. There are so many low mileage 3 year old cars that you can get for a song.
I agree with you, the only cars I would buy right now are the F430 and the V12 Vantage.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by seattle_sun

F430? That's a pretty expensive song!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
LOL, maybe I misspoke. Not a song, but at a big markdown compared to a year ago and within OP's budget

Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 AM
rynacd is infamous around these parts
i'm gonna make it simple V12 Vantage.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Help me spend $200k...I need a neat car

I have driven a couple of these:

-Ferrari California. Fast, responsive, loud, but not respected by any real car guys. A bit unusual, "does my butt look big?" It seems taller and narrower than other 2 place Ferrari products which makes it easier to drive. It even has adequate ground clearance. No manual available but the paddles work well. Interior has lots of bling, leather, polished aluminum and colored switches and lights. All kinds of electronic gadgets including RPM driven LEDs in the steering wheel rim. Light em all up, back out of the gas a hair,flip the paddle into second and listen for the explosion of the unburnt gas in the cats.
Get this one for the trophy wife. The lucky girl will love it, lower the top and she's off to the mall.

-Aston Martin V12V. Fast, responsive, loud and respected by everyone, as are all the Aston VH derivatives. Great presence, be ready to answer questions, people want to talk about this car, you have to become an expert. The car is refined, the exterior is beautiful, the interior, tailored. Infinite number of paint and leather colors available...looks best in any of a half dozen silver exteriors with a black interior.

-Want real class, move up to the DBS. Costs more, is somewhat larger to permit the addition of 2 almost unusable rear seats, has every feature you want standard.

-For more sport move down to the V8VS. Its just as fast, responsive and loud, but has a quick component. It weighs hundreds of pounds less than the V12s and has a faster rack and pinion ratio so its tossible. Plus it has a new 7 speed refined paddle shifted transmission. Never thought I would say this, but I liked the V8VS better than the hot rod V8V 6 speed manual I own.

Are you playing with us? If you've really earned a disposable $200K to waste on a car toy you don't need any rationale from us. Surely you know what you want.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Not sure I agree that the V8V S is just as fast as the V12s. While it is possible that the S might go around a tight track as fast due to the lighter weight, I doubt it's as fast in terms of real-world driving. You have tons of power and torque across a wide range of rpms with the V12. This gives you power on demand that the V8 just can't provide.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Not sure I agree that the V8V S is just as fast as the V12s. While it is possible that the S might go around a tight track as fast due to the lighter weight, I doubt it's as fast in terms of real-world driving. You have tons of power and torque across a wide range of rpms with the V12. This gives you power on demand that the V8 just can't provide.
Uh, No. The V8Vs is not faster than the V12. I'm not sure if it is even track faster. Just look at the speed and gearing. The S has the easier transmission which probably brings acceleration in some circumstances close depending on who is operating the V12's manual. I drove one recently and I will say that there is a big difference from my 4.3 which had ECU and all of all of the other mods but I never felt scarred the way I have felt in the V12V.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I am really suprised by these responses. I would rate these as follows.

1. R8 V10
2. Turbo S
3. Bently SS, California, Vantage V12 all of them equally placed in 3rd.

I have driven the Turbo S and California and a 4.3vantage.

Everyone already said it about the California its nice and fast and loud but not really special in any area for the price. I set off car alarms when driving the California and got a lot of looks but did not put a smile on my face. Felt very heavy and big.

The Vantage I drove for 2 days straight felt like a fat pig in the corners, unresponsive and most of all felt fragile and breakable. They look and sound fabulous but this car left me feeling turned off by the brand. The v12 will certainly be faster then the 4.3 but will probably feel just as fat in the corners or more so.

The turbo S was so fast, nimble, and perfect for DD sportiness. Yes its not as rare or special as the cars mentioned but for me the rarity starts to be a lot less important then the enjoyment and usability of my car. My GT2 is much more enjoyable but I certainly do not use it as a DD.

Never driven an R8 but every review or video has the driver saying that it is an amazing car and the reviews just seem to be unanimously very positive for the car. The looks and sound are lustful. The only negative is the boot is half the size of the porsche and there is no room behind the rear seats like all the other cars have. So tiny duffle bag is all your taking with.

No comment on the Bently SS as I have very little interest in it as a sports car.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed

I have driven the Turbo S and California and a 4.3vantage.

The Vantage I drove for 2 days straight felt like a fat pig in the corners, unresponsive and most of all felt fragile and breakable. They look and sound fabulous but this car left me feeling turned off by the brand. The v12 will certainly be faster then the 4.3 but will probably feel just as fat in the corners or more so.
If you've only driven the 4.3L Vantage, you really can't comment on the V12V. They are night and day different cars to drive. Trust me, I've owned both.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racer_X
If you've only driven the 4.3L Vantage, you really can't comment on the V12V. They are night and day different cars to drive. Trust me, I've owned both.

spot on. they handle differently, despite there being more weight in the nose of the v12. Aston really didn't get its suspension settings down until further in the development of the vantage series. apparently the n420's are great to drive as well.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry, but of all the cars on the list, the R8 is the least attractive by far and certainly not 'lustful', followed closely by the California.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Me pick a car