Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

am depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
droppedclutch is infamous around these partsdroppedclutch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racer_X
It isn't ALL about performance, but when we're talking about high-end sports cars, that's one of the biggest factor in determining which cars compete with which others.

For sports cars, price and performance levels pretty much dictate the field of competitors. The other factors you've mentioned such as aspiration, ride quality, sound are all things that will be factors that will determine which car of the field that the individual will select, but they don't define the field itself.
I think aspiration (which effects throttle response, and sound), ride quality, and performance are all things that are factors that define the experience of driving the car. Aside from that, there's only prestige (I don't think price is a huge deal at this end, people don't buy things because they are expensive, but because of the prestige and heritage of the brand, which sometimes plays a role in price). It's why Porsche is even permitted to run with the big leagues when realistically their cars aren't priced anywhere near the other supercars (note how the Turbo S is always featured in comparos, and even wins most of them despite being the cheapest car by usually $50-100k or more).

So prestige, I agree with you, it's up there with Ferrari. Experience, it's something different entirely. Not worse, mind you, just different. Presently I'm actually in a bit of lower back pain after driving around in the 458 on city roads for a while, and I'm usually pretty durable. If I have to stay in the city much longer, I'll probably be an MP4-12C buyer:P

Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by droppedclutch
I think aspiration (which effects throttle response, and sound), ride quality, and performance are all things that are factors that define the experience of driving the car. Aside from that, there's only prestige (I don't think price is a huge deal at this end, people don't buy things because they are expensive, but because of the prestige and heritage of the brand, which sometimes plays a role in price). It's why Porsche is even permitted to run with the big leagues when realistically their cars aren't priced anywhere near the other supercars (note how the Turbo S is always featured in comparos, and even wins most of them despite being the cheapest car by usually $50-100k or more).

So prestige, I agree with you, it's up there with Ferrari. Experience, it's something different entirely. Not worse, mind you, just different. Presently I'm actually in a bit of lower back pain after driving around in the 458 on city roads for a while, and I'm usually pretty durable. If I have to stay in the city much longer, I'll probably be an MP4-12C buyer:P
The truth is out! We have a 458 owner! Fantastic car, enjoy in good health

Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
back to depreciation

we can still hear the dealer laughing 2 miles after we drove the car off the lot. Still love the vantage. Not sure about that sportshift...

Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
11CayenneS is infamous around these parts
Guys. This topic was to talk about am depreciation and spun into a mclauren vs Ferrari contest. Can we split these off? As the two are completely unrelated

Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
Speaking of depressing ... I am puting my 2007 Vantage up for sale ... know anyone that might be interested please PM ...

Ohhh that was depreciation ... yeah I am about 50% even w mods ...

Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by maroli
I respectfully disagree
I think the Mclaren is techier

Ya but the mclaren is slow, even my bicolore would destroy it around the track as magazines have proven. Mclaren is a decent sports car but it never lived up to the hype as it should have. Yet again another "hypercar" bearing the "Mclaren" name (like the SLR) that never lived up to the original (not even close) ...

The Aventador is lightyears ahead of the competition ... and I will report back after my test drive tomorrow

back to depreciation .........

I spoke to numerous dealers, all have said the vantage market has flat lined in the low 70s for a good low mileage 07 ... high mileage 06s that have been ragged on can be had in the mid to high 60s, but you'd be better off getting a well maintained & taken care of 07+.

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 09-21-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Ya but the mclaren is slow, even my bicolore would destroy it around the track as magazines have proven. Mclaren is a decent sports car but it never lived up to the hype as it should have. Yet again another "hypercar" bearing the "Mclaren" name (like the SLR) that never lived up to the original (not even close) ...

The Aventador is lightyears ahead of the competition ... and I will report back after my test drive tomorrow

I spoke to numerous dealers, all have said the vantage market has flat lined in the low 70s for a good low mileage 07 ... high mileage 06s that have been ragged on can be had in the mid to high 60s, but you'd be better off getting a well maintained & taken care of 07+.
Yeah, I suppose it will dip again when the vantage replacement was released. btw, the tests you speak of where the macca underperformed was a preproduction version. The only test that's been of customer spec cars was the top gear one....where it beat the 458 around dunsfold by 3 seconds.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by maroli
Yeah, I suppose it will dip again when the vantage replacement was released. btw, the tests you speak of where the macca underperformed was a preproduction version. The only test that's been of customer spec cars was the top gear one....where it beat the 458 around dunsfold by 3 seconds.
Possibly ... its still a soulless car I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole

One of the most profound things I have learned recently is that specs at the end of the day don't really mean anything to me. The most important characteristic by far is how enjoyable is the car to drive and how does it make the driver feel. If a car has no soul I don't want to own it period

... in that sense the Mclaren could not be more of an epic failure. Its a pentium processor with wheels

(not to pick on mclaren but there are many more in the car industry, Skyline GTR, etc etc).

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage

Interesting comments, but the Mclaren that is "slow" managed to beat the Aventador around Dunsfold Raceway...

Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
droppedclutch is infamous around these partsdroppedclutch is infamous around these parts
In any case, back to the issue of AM depreciation. I was recently in the market for an AM and found the situation to be not dissimilar from how it was in the recession. 2011 DB9's can be had for $160k, down from MSRP's of around $200k, 2011 DBS' in the $240k region, and 2011 V8V's in the $120k's. In general, everything is around 15-20% off MSRP and the 2012's aren't even on the ground yet. In fact the only models dealers seem to be resistant to let go at more than a 15% discount would be the V12V's.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by droppedclutch
In any case, back to the issue of AM depreciation. I was recently in the market for an AM and found the situation to be not dissimilar from how it was in the recession. 2011 DB9's can be had for $160k, down from MSRP's of around $200k, 2011 DBS' in the $240k region, and 2011 V8V's in the $120k's. In general, everything is around 15-20% off MSRP and the 2012's aren't even on the ground yet. In fact the only models dealers seem to be resistant to let go at more than a 15% discount would be the V12V's.
I'm afraid this is just good news for me as I'm now in the mkt for a used V8V or maybe a DB9 but prob an '08 or 07 unfortunately (ie I wish it was for an 09 or 10). One dealer I spoke with suggested that this time of year is always the low and that prices pick up in the New Year as dealers restock, Xmas bonuses are handed out, tax returns start to arrive ...

... I've been looking at a DB7 but just can't get past the XK looks and Ford spec dash