Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

swap V8V engine to V12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 AM
duo
duo is infamous around these parts
swap V8V engine to V12

is it possible? I saw a 06 Vanquish V12 engine on ebay only for $15000, swap a v8 engine to a v12 will cheaper or not?

any experience?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Possible? Maybe. Easy? No. Aston had to modify the car and the engine to fit the V12 into the car.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 AM
duo
duo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Possible? Maybe. Easy? No. Aston had to modify the car and the engine to fit the V12 into the car.
ok, then it's a big job, we can forget about it

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM
The racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond repute
why not look into it and try to get the specifics, like the motor mounts, transmission mating, .......... does aston sell WSM's for these cars or do some aftermarket publishers make repair guides.............

Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Photog is a jewel in the roughPhotog is a jewel in the roughPhotog is a jewel in the rough
Is it possible? Yes. However it will not be worth the time and effort you put forth, plus modifying the engine bay to do so. Plus that 15k for the engine will go up another 5k in chassis work to make it drop it correctly and securely.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
This sounds like a great project . . . for someone else to do. I'm sure it will be a great challenge and expensive. Then, after all is said and done, you'll have a car that will have a very limited market for resale. My thought is that the investment of time and money wouldn't be worth it.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
An engineering and financial nightmare

Big time changes were involved with the V12 install at AM. Look under a V12V.

There are major incremental tubular beams (inline as well as cross car) plus numerous component upgrades and rearrangement and a new hood.

In the rear a new undertray (longer, wider, different material) ties the floorpans to the transaxle subframe. Its the Roadster part but thinner. It almost bolts into an 07 Coupe (I did it) but not into an 06. Further, the V12V has wider wheels/tires and wider skin panels to cover them.

An easier upgrade, but still very significant,is upsizing the displacement from 4.3 to 4.7L. PM me, I will tell you how, where and when.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by flinder
Further, the V12V has wider wheels/tires and wider skin panels to cover them.
What do you mean by skin panels?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
It almost bolts into an 07 Coupe (I did it) but not into an 06.
Wait a minute, you did what?? How, why, when, where? All details please.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Aero Improvement Program

Goal is to overcome high speed (wind tunnel @ 125 mph)lift at front and rear of Vantage Coupe in detailed 2006 Sport Auto Mag (German) testing.

-Designed, built and installed carbon fiber spliter and kamm tail components.

-Designed an improved aluminum sheet metal diffuser to replace blow molded plastic OE part. Not yet fabricated. Appearance to be similar to Tessla electric diffuser design.

- Designed a flatter belly pan with goal of using OE components where acceptable:
*Leading OE panel judged usable.
*Rear OE undertray, vacuum formed thermoplastic judged unacceptable
-Alternatives considered,
*V12V Aluminum sheet metal part
*V8V Roadster aluminum sheet metal part
* Both appeared to be the same stamping but different thickness

- V12V part judged thinest/lightest best for this application

-Purchased and assembled V12V part to car last winter

-Perfect fit, 19 OE attachments used, 2 additional attachments made to floor pan, 21 total.

-No issues during 6 months driving, no weight increase vs, OE plastic part.

=Do I want to extend front undertray coverage under engine/ trans? Will decide this winter when car comes off the road.

Alternatives include-Roadster OE part, heavy and expensive...but it fits,or a new lighter, flatter, less expensive original design...it's a challenge!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Flinder: I'm trying to understand all this. Do you often drive your car over 125 mph? And you've decided these mods are necessary based upon a single German magazine article from 2006? And how do you plan to confirm that these mods actually increase down force (and not reduce it)? Wind tunnel testing?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Easy to understand

Objective is to improve the car. Mine is a three-pronged approach, add power, reduce weight and improve aerodynamics, but lots of little upgrades being made as well. This thread outlines the majority of the aero approach to date. An improved stance, already accomplished, is another aero piece.

Weight is down by more than 50# so far and power is up a bit, but not enough. There is more of these two prongs to come.

My approach is an educated 3 pronger, 6 speed helps, as does Pistonheads, plus I live in a Detroit suburb. We have lots of motorheads here to consult with, even employ should I need help.

Your questions are familiar. But after all AM tells us the Vantage, slow poke of their product line, will go 175mph. Not only do I not plan to drive 175, but I do not plan to drive 125 either.

See your salesman for the super slick paper, 11 page Sport Auto test. AM had it translated and distributed it thru their dealers. In an instrumented wind tunnel at 200KPH front axle lift was 46kg, rear axle lift, 13kg.

Why am I doing this? Because I can.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Well okay then. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 AM
"Skin" equals "what you see"

Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
What do you mean by skin panels?
V12V quarter panels (the outer skins) are wider than V8V,says my dealer. Logic says any panel attached to their outside perimeter must be wider as well. My source opined, however, the fenders are common.

National or regional tire coverage regs determine fender and quarter panel widths. In my opinion AM street cars may meet the specifics but not their intent. Check their race car tire coverage, the rules must be a lot stricter.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
V12V quarter panels (the outer skins) are wider than V8V,says my dealer. Logic says any panel attached to their outside perimeter must be wider as well. My source opined, however, the fenders are common.

National or regional tire coverage regs determine fender and quarter panel widths. In my opinion AM street cars may meet the specifics but not their intent. Check their race car tire coverage, the rules must be a lot stricter.
Well most people say fenders or body panels instead of "skin," but anyway...

The fenders on the V8 and V12 models are the same. The wheelwell liner may indeed be different, but the V12 size wheels fit easily on the V8.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: swap V8V engine to V12