Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin carbon sport steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
DCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond repute
Aston Martin carbon sport steering wheel

Just completed a project for Aston Martin customer!
Carbon flat bottom steering wheel for 2011 Vantage
Same steering wheel can also fit DB9 and other Vantage models

Attached Images    
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
The racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond repute
looks great, so much better than stock.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
That should be standard on all Astons !

Old 10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Looks to be well made, but I'll stick with the leather or alcantara wheel. All these unnecessary carbon fiber bits (i.e., bits that don't serve a purpose beyond looks) you find on performance cars today seem faddish and a bit silly to me.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
The racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond repute
On the back of a seat like in certain 911 sport seats or rocker panels I would agree, but in a high focus of attention area like the steering wheel, well done CF looks great and adds to the coolness/richness factor. (I also like it on the round dash air inlets of the 599)

Unlike wrapping a car for cosmetics, CF is a material that is functional, lighter and stronger, than other materials, so if used in the right places and right amounts is a plus and not a fad, anymore than aluminum body panels vs. steel.

Its 3D effect really catches the eye. I want to have this done for my car. And the AM steering wheel even in the One-77 is weak from the factory.

On a side note, one of my interests is design and a hobby is furniture. I built one of the coolest, full-size contemporary sofa's with the legs built as angled bridges at either end in real CF. The effect is incredible especially against the pale yellow fabric.

Last edited by The racerx; 10-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Looks to be well made, but I'll stick with the leather or alcantara wheel. All these unnecessary carbon fiber bits (i.e., bits that don't serve a purpose beyond looks) you find on performance cars today seem faddish and a bit silly to me.
Carbon Fibre bits serve a lightweight purpose. Eg the metal door sills with Made in England plate are 2.8 Kg each. Total = 5.6kg. Carbon Fibre comes in at about 2x400grams. So thats about a 5kg weight saving.

You may say 5kg is nothing on a car as heavy as a Vantage but look at the premium Aston charge you for a Vantage S that has 30kg weight shaved off. One small carbon fibre mod and you have shaved off 1/6 th the weight saving to be gained from a Vantage S.

Also carbon fiber has been around for decades in cars, either as the real deal or the stick on vinyl, so calling carbon fiber faddish is a bit unfair.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Understood that carbon fiber is a lightweight and strong material, but I just don't see the benefit of using it on the steering wheel, side strakes, instrument cover, etc. If you like the look of it, fine. I just don't think these minor elements make a significant difference in terms of weight savings or performance. Beyond that, I've always thought that CF looks plasticy and therefore a bit cheap, at least on an Aston. Yes, I understand that it is anything but cheap, which IMO makes it even less desirable unless it's providing substantial weight savings.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
I love CF!

How much is the wheel?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I've always thought that CF looks plasticy and therefore a bit cheap, at least on an Aston.

Don't let the factory guys hear ya

if done right, the right type of CF, the right resins, it can have the deep and glossy look which I like a lot. The steering wheel above seems to have it.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
DCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond repute
Aston Martin with carbon interior

I personally think right amount of carbon fiber really bring the interior up to attention. As long as it is not too busy~

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by The racerx
Don't let the factory guys hear ya
The carbon fiber under the hood of the One-77 is structural/functional and therefore its use is appropriate there. As for the interior, I think the One-77 is a bit of a different animal. Exposed carbon fiber makes more sense in this car as it is more to the all-out-performance side of the spectrum and Aston wants to make this clear. However, carbon fiber in the interior of the DB9 (which is on the opposite, luxury side of the spectrum) would look out of place. The Vantage is between those two extremes and understated carbon fiber is okay I suppose. For example, the CF interior door handles in my V12V are fine IMO because they are subtle but suggest the performance the car provides to the enthusiast. I wouldn't want CF all over the place in my car though.

Regardless, I still prefer other materials in terms of aesthetics, such as sculpted alloy components. One example is the sculpted gear shift in the V12V and the DBS. If aluminum is not exotic enough for you, another example is the indicator stalks on the Veyron -- those are made of unobtanium, but are much more refined and elegant than carbon fiber is. To me, the shiny carbon fiber accent pieces look a bit blingy, like chrome wheels. I guess I'm in the minority on this though.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree for the most part. I think it is important how it is used and on the interior should be as a highlight, like DCT's steering wheel.

It is also VERY important HOW it is done. The best CF is when it captures your attention and you think you could put your finger into it by a half inch. It should have depth. You should be able to see the weave and the resin should be crystal clear like water and with a high gloss.

Compare the One-77 engine bay CF with the Carrera GT CF, both are nice but AM did it better;

notice the gloss and shine

Last edited by The racerx; 10-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Agree that it's pretty cool in the engine bay!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
How much?
I'm very interrested

Old 11-04-2011, 12:24 PM
For the One-77? A couple of million I believe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin carbon sport steering wheel