Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New to Aston's - asking for some initial advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM
tandrup is infamous around these parts
New to Aston's - asking for some initial advice

Hi there,

I have been mostly writing and reading in the Porsche section due to my current ownership status, but lately I have started thinking about swapping out my Mercedes with an Aston and this is where I would welcome any advice from you with far more experience with Aston's than I have. Here is what I know:

- I am looking to buy a car and keep it for a long time
- I am looking for a DB9
- I am going to buy pre-owned
- My budget is "limited" so I am looking at 2005 - 2007 with less than 40k miles - so sort of in the <$85k range
- I know which colors etc I would prefer

Now to my questions:
- Are there any significant model year differences that I should be aware of?
- What are typical (if there is such a thing) maintenance costs for Aston's?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated - also if you can just point me to previous posts with similar considerations/questions.

Thanks,
Lars, California

Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
I would say...
Stay away from anything '05, the first year has way to may bugs and issues.
'06 they get better not as many bugs and issues. few with fuel line issues, easy to fix if not a coupe, little more involved if a coupe
'07 there are some changes and good improvements.

Typical maintenance: transmission cooler lines like to leak on the automatics, shocks like to leak, engine and trans are good-not to many issues, brakes, tires, cost wise for a service is around $500 and up depending on what it needs

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Unless you are firmly set on a DB9 take a look at the Vantage. The DB9 rear seats are at best for small kids, the trunk is much smaller in the DB9. If you are set on the V12 then you would be going to the 2010 model V12 Vantage--I'm pretty sure that's the first year the V-12 was available. Note: I have an '08 Vantage V8 which I really, really, like--especially for longer trips away from home.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
If you are set on the V12 then you would be going to the 2010 model V12 Vantage--I'm pretty sure that's the first year the V-12 was available.
Umm, he did say his budget was sort of in the <$85k range.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
tjf06db9 is infamous around these parts
I have an '06 DB9 I purchased for $80K in June with 1850 miles on the clock. If you want a coupe you can probably get a nice one in 2005-07 for between $75 & $90K depending on the mileage. I have a friend who just purchased an '07 DB9 with 7K on the clock for about $90k. As far as maintenance, the annual service (every 12 months or 10K miles) runs about $1500 at the AM dealer in Houston and about $700-$900 at a good independent shop. I have had no problems other than a leak on the passenger side foot well which required replacing the rear motor mounts (about $2K). The AM is a hand built car so expect tome squeaks & rattles, most of which are fixable. I love mine. Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Thank guys - I appreciate the input. I will continue to look for a DB9 and will probably try to look for 2007 instead. If that means that I need to wait a little until they come down to my price-point then I'll do that. Tom, thanks for sharing your experiences with prices etc - it seems to validate my expectations for what I can get. I also appreciate the input around looking for a V8V instead, but I honestly (with the risk of offending quite a few folks in here) prefer the DB9 design over the more compact V8V's. I have to like the car from a design-perspective to really be excited about it and the DB9 speaks to me more than the V8V's do.

I also saw a couple of posts that I appreciated about servicing options in the Bay area which I am going to look into. Sounds like BR Racing in Los Gatos was recommended by a few people in here, so I'll check them out. The year range I am looking at is going to be out of warranty, so I wouldn't have any issues going out of the AM network for servicing. I've been doing that with my Porsche's and haven't had any trouble with that at all.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
tandrup
If you need or want Dealer service at some time, I have my V8V serviced at Aston-Martin Marin in Corte Madera. I've always been very satisfied with the detailed care they take, to make sure everything is right. Also, a loaner is furnished while your car is being serviced--Usually a Jaguar or a Land Rover (a nice touch). If interested contact Lucian, who is the Aston Service Manager (800) 490-0840.

BTW: I have to like the car from a design-perspective to really be excited about it and the DB9 speaks to me more than the V8V's do." A lot of us, myself included, think the Vantage is better proportioned--certainly no offense taken.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 PM
@Dicktahoe: Thanks for your suggestion, I will check AM in Corte Madera out from a service perspective as well. I have been there a few times to look at the preowned lot. I'll talk to the Service Department next time I swing by.

PS - ...and I really didn't want to start a V8V vs. DB9 debate. I assume you have had those plenty already if this section is anything like the Porsche section or the watch-forums that I participate in :-)

Old 10-28-2011, 04:10 PM
tandrup
No debate intended--just a difference in perception. A key designer of the new Aston line was Henrik Fisker, and he did a magnificent job on all of them. I had the same discussions related to my Boxster, which I loved, vs a "Real Porsche" the 911.

Be sure to talk with Lucian (the Aston Service Manager) , you'll find him very knowledgable and helpful--tell him Dick Keenly referred you, I know him pretty well.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
tandrup

Be sure to talk with Lucian (the Aston Service Manager) , you'll find him very knowledgable and helpful--tell him Dick Keenly referred you, I know him pretty well.
I actually just got back from seeing them. Took my wife to Corte Madera and spent some time with Brett in Sales. Didn't get to the service departement this time.

Brett was very helpful and helped us narrow down our options. I'm still madly in love with the DB9 although every time I sit in one, I am shocked at the back seat. That's not a major issue though, since we will probably keep the MB that the wife drives today. I'll get rid of my Porsche and the AM will not be used to haul kids or guests around in anyway.

Brett also showed us the Rapide and the Virage and actually recommended getting a 1-2 yr old Virage rather than the DB9 bc his perspective was that the Virage will take the place of the DB9 in the AM lineup very shortly. We also looked closely at the V8V again, but the wife agrees (and you know how important that is!) that the DB9 is the one that we like. I personally don't buy the "Virage" over the "DB9" argument, but it was an interesting discussion.

A couple of other points he made, that I would be interested in hearing from all of you about:

1) He recommended getting a DB9 that is still under factory warranty and then extend the warranty through AM until (I think) 5 years.

2) Do any of you know how much the extension of the warranty (from 3 years to 5 years) is? And have any of you used that option as insurance to cover unforeseen trouble/repairs?

Thanks again guys - these are exciting times. So many choices to make - I'm loving it!!!

This process is a good experience of what I've been trying to tell my wife: "So many cars to drive, and so little time..."

Last edited by tandrup; 10-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tandrup

1) He recommended getting a DB9 that is still under factory warranty and then extend the warranty through AM until (I think) 5 years.

2) Do any of you know how much the extension of the warranty (from 3 years to 5 years) is? And have any of you used that option as insurance to cover unforeseen trouble/repairs?

"
I'm interested in these answers as well....

Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 PM
tjf06db9 is infamous around these parts
My dealer gave me an extended warranty quote when I bought the car in June. One year was about $4300 & 2 years about $7500. The warranty coverage is not as good as the coverage you would get on an extended warranty for an American or non exotic foreign car, but it does cover the major expense items like engine, transmission & other major mechanical & electrical components. A copy of the AM extended warranty is attached if you want to look over the details. FYI, I did not buy it. Also, regarding the dealer's recommendation that you buy a 1-2 yr old Virage, it may be because there aren't many of them selling. I'm not convinced the Virage is worth the extra $$ over the cost of the DB9. Hope thius helps. Tom

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMExtendedService Contract_US.pdf (161.4 KB, 3533 views)