Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage - Strange Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
V8 Vantage - Strange Ticking Noise

Hi fellas,

I'm starting a new threat as there was some confusion earlier, my apologies for that. As I recently posted, I noticed this strange ticking noise coming from the engine after the engine had been warmed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASmhc-iCOY

I did check the oil level as some people have suggested and it turns out that the oil was a bit low but still above the minimum dip mark. So, I added some oil to get the level between the minimum and maximum marks, but that didn't seem to make a difference in the noise.

My car is now with the local AM dealer getting diagnosed. Based on their viewing of the AV file, they suspect a lifter issue.

But of course, when I dropped the car off with them this morning, the sound wasn't nearly as loud as when I first noticed it. I'm wondering whether the oil I added last night had time to circulate throughout the engine on my drive this morning and fixed the problem?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I have to say that that does not sound too much different than my '09.....Mine has been to the dealer for service, been there for a airbag sensor replacement, had the scan tool on it a few times and nothing has ever been noted. Plus it runs perfectly (7500 miles).

EDIT...Ok I listened to your vid turned up real loud and there is something in there that I do not hear on my car....make sure you let us know the prognosis.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I just got my car back and it turns out that everything is OK; according to the UK techs, the noise I am hearing is considered within the realm of normal....

They explained that the 4.7L engines are noticeably louder than the previous 4.3L engines and even within the 4.7's there is variance in the amount of noise that the engines, particularly the lifters, make. So, I guess everything is fine

On a related note, the UK tech did mention that a few years ago they authorized a complete engine replacement to address a very similar ticking noise that had been noticed by the sales manager at AM Marin. When they got the engine back in the UK, they ran tests and confirmed that the engine was fine and within specs. LO AND BEHOLD it was my car at AM Marin that had the engine swapped!!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Just being curious, what oil grade/weight, and make is being used??

Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
First off, good to hear all is well with your car. Question about the engine swap...Did you buy your car new? If not, just curious as to how they addressed the odometer with the new engine going in.....AND....obviously the dealer where you bought it at had no knowledge of this or at least did not choose to disclose it to you. Your thoughts?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Just being curious, what oil grade/weight, and make is being used??
My dealer uses a Castrol synthetic 10w60 oil. Seems to be the oil that is recommended by the factory.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Swoody
First off, good to hear all is well with your car. Question about the engine swap...Did you buy your car new? If not, just curious as to how they addressed the odometer with the new engine going in.....AND....obviously the dealer where you bought it at had no knowledge of this or at least did not choose to disclose it to you. Your thoughts?
I am actually the second owner....I bought my car in April with about 3,200 miles on the odometer.

I did some extensive poking around before buying my car and did uncover this issue before making the purchase. However, my car was purchased on consignment, and the first owner did not provide any records concerning the engine swap. In his defense, the original owner did provide me with copies of all HIS records. But since the engine swap was done before he purchased the car, I believe he was not aware of this issue (I will give him the benefit of doubt).

Anyhow, I ended up finding out about this by calling the original dealership and (with the first owner's permission) having them send me copies of every service record for the car....and there it was.

With only 166 miles on the original engine, it was swapped out. Once the new engine was installed (a few months later), it went through "an extensive roadtest of 485 miles" as stated in the service record.

However, when the car was checked out, it appears that the odometer was rolled back to 430 miles even. The next service record (about 1 month later) for some repair to a loose "glass chrome finisher" shows mileage in at 436 and mileage out at 436. So, looks like there was definitely some rollback from the 485 roadtest...???? No idea why. Or maybe the roadtest was only for 430 miles, and the service tech just inputed some wrong info into the service record.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Swoody
The odometer is not updated with a fresh new engine..the odoemeter is vehicle total mileage not engine total mileage..

Old 10-27-2011, 05:29 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
See now I'm going to have to go a listen to all my 4.7L, cause I have never heard the noise before.
I'm doing a clutch on a '09 4.7L, I will listen for this noise.
New one to me.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by macksamus
I am actually the second owner....I bought my car in April with about 3,200 miles on the odometer.

I did some extensive poking around before buying my car and did uncover this issue before making the purchase. However, my car was purchased on consignment, and the first owner did not provide any records concerning the engine swap. In his defense, the original owner did provide me with copies of all HIS records. But since the engine swap was done before he purchased the car, I believe he was not aware of this issue (I will give him the benefit of doubt).

Anyhow, I ended up finding out about this by calling the original dealership and (with the first owner's permission) having them send me copies of every service record for the car....and there it was.

With only 166 miles on the original engine, it was swapped out. Once the new engine was installed (a few months later), it went through "an extensive roadtest of 485 miles" as stated in the service record.

However, when the car was checked out, it appears that the odometer was rolled back to 430 miles even. The next service record (about 1 month later) for some repair to a loose "glass chrome finisher" shows mileage in at 436 and mileage out at 436. So, looks like there was definitely some rollback from the 485 roadtest...???? No idea why. Or maybe the roadtest was only for 430 miles, and the service tech just inputed some wrong info into the service record.
the in-out mileage sometimes is incorrect..the mechanic can put the right mileage and when the car washer goes to close the work order..he inputs the wrong mileage..take the mileage in-out with little importance..it's just there for warranty cases really..but I don't see the mileage being rolled back for the new engine..we've replaced new engines and this was never performed...the mileage isn't just stored in the cluster..it's also in the CEM's, PCM, ASM ECU...etc..these kind of modules can't even be swapped for testing for the car will update it's self with the highest mileage of the modules..

As for the concern of the noise..I have heard some 4.7L's with ticking with low mileage(under 2,000km), I had the clients drive it and noise pitch lowered to normal..wish my speaker were a little better, diagnosing your noise is kinda hard over the comp..I'd really have to be there in person to say "Yes there is a concern"...sry bud that I can't be of more help than this.