Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clear rear lights + N420 carbon diffuser installation (how-to)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
Clear rear lights + N420 carbon diffuser installation (how-to)

Hi all,

I got some upgrades for my V8V 2007 which I would like to install myself . For one I got new clear rear lights which will replace my standard ones, and for two the N420 carbon rear diffuser.

I am sure a lot of you guys already did these installations, thus I am wondering if some ‘instructions’ are around.

Thank you for your support.

Cheers, J

Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
I am doing my rear carbon diffuser tommorow. From what I can see its a matter of screwing in bolts from the existing panel. Putting them back on from the back entrance of the diffuser if the exhuast allows space seems to be the only option. It may require a socket set with a long handle.

I will be using lots of WD40 on the bolts since they look like they have some surface corrosion. Shall see tommorow weather permitting.

Clear lights - there is some instructions if you search the forums. Pretty much a bolt on and bolt off job and replace the foam gromets that come in the kit. Centre light is supposed to more tricky and requires fiddling around in tight spaces

Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Talked to my Aston tech last week about installing the N420 carbon diffuser. Apparently it's not a straightforward bolt-on installation. He said that the rear bumper has to come off and a few holes have to be drilled, but he said that it shouldn't be too difficult for me since I already have tackled the N420 side sills, clear taillights, piano black facia, custom door trim and many other bits in the car myself.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
The best part is trying to fit the $%^ parking aid sensors, sometimes they just dont want to play.
Yes bumper does have to come off. There are a few screws behind the bumper that you need to get to.

Bumper removalsee if I remember)
1. Remove rear wheels
2. Remove fender liners, or move at least the portion that attaches to the rear bumper.
3. There are two bolts that attach the bumper to the fender. Two on each side of the bumper. So four total.
4. Now into trunk. Remove carpet on the sides of the trunk. Here you will see 3 large nuts that hold in tail lamps. So a total of 6 for the tail lamps, 3 each side. Sometimes clips hold in the carpet so get can be tough to remove.
5. Remove tail lamps being careful not to scratch the paint, and watch for the connectors. There is a red tab that slides away from the black part of the connector and the connector will come out of the tail lamp.
6. Now there are two screw on each side for the bumper. One will be where the fender and bumper meet. The other is right under the tail lamp.
7. Check also inside the trunk, where the carpet was removed sometimes there is a bolt in here to. Either an 8mm or a 30torx bolt. It attaches the side of the bumper to the car.
8. Now under the car. You may or may not need to remove the rear undertray. Where the exhaust finishers are, the a two black 30torx bolts that attaches the exhaust finisher to the metal bumper. So again two per side a total of four.
9. Then there are 3 connectors two on the passenger side and one on the driver. If I remember right the driver side may not come out, so once you get the bumper loose you may need to disconnect the harness from the bumper to get it all the way out.
10. Also be careful right above the plate frame the is a large piece of heavy duty velcro. Yes velcro, just pull up easy and it should come off.

Should be able to figure out the carbon diffuser from there. Also the part of the tail lamps, should be easy from here to.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
The best part is trying to fit the $%^ parking aid sensors, sometimes they just dont want to play.
Yes bumper does have to come off. There are a few screws behind the bumper that you need to get to.

Bumper removalsee if I remember)
1. Remove rear wheels
2. Remove fender liners, or move at least the portion that attaches to the rear bumper.
3. There are two bolts that attach the bumper to the fender. Two on each side of the bumper. So four total.
4. Now into trunk. Remove carpet on the sides of the trunk. Here you will see 3 large nuts that hold in tail lamps. So a total of 6 for the tail lamps, 3 each side. Sometimes clips hold in the carpet so get can be tough to remove.
5. Remove tail lamps being careful not to scratch the paint, and watch for the connectors. There is a red tab that slides away from the black part of the connector and the connector will come out of the tail lamp.
6. Now there are two screw on each side for the bumper. One will be where the fender and bumper meet. The other is right under the tail lamp.
7. Check also inside the trunk, where the carpet was removed sometimes there is a bolt in here to. Either an 8mm or a 30torx bolt. It attaches the side of the bumper to the car.
8. Now under the car. You may or may not need to remove the rear undertray. Where the exhaust finishers are, the a two black 30torx bolts that attaches the exhaust finisher to the metal bumper. So again two per side a total of four.
9. Then there are 3 connectors two on the passenger side and one on the driver. If I remember right the driver side may not come out, so once you get the bumper loose you may need to disconnect the harness from the bumper to get it all the way out.
10. Also be careful right above the plate frame the is a large piece of heavy duty velcro. Yes velcro, just pull up easy and it should come off.

Should be able to figure out the carbon diffuser from there. Also the part of the tail lamps, should be easy from here to.
I see... it goes to the dealer then
This is simply too complex for me

Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Jarod
I see... it goes to the dealer then
This is simply too complex for me
This is insanely crazy. Why could they not design it so it is a bolt on job. I guess they were thinking of dealer fees.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM
So, now I had it at the dealer to install my new components (rear lights and n420 diffuser). Attached some pictures before and after (sorry for the bad quality).

Attached Images      
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Looks good.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
So, now I had it at the dealer to install my new components (rear lights and n420 diffuser). Attached some pictures before and after (sorry for the bad quality).

Looks great!
Where did you get the N420 diffuser?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by plastique999
Looks great!
Where did you get the N420 diffuser?
Thanks

From astonmartinbits UK.

http://www.astonmartinbits.com/model...tage/parts/452

And for 750 GBP its almost a bargain

Old 11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
looks better than good to me!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
bazonkers is infamous around these parts
Thanks

From astonmartinbits UK.

http://www.astonmartinbits.com/model...tage/parts/452

And for 750 GBP its almost a bargain
I bought the front spoiler from that kit from them and even with the exchange rate and shipping from the UK, it was a bargain. I didn't want that rear diffuser and I didn't want to buy both for $4000. They have some good prices if they happen to have what you need.

They even custom built a wooden crate to ship it in as they said they had one spoiler break in shipping in the past. They picked up the tab for the crate and extra shipping. First rate place.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM
rynacd is infamous around these parts
this is the best looking rear diffuser on the market good job =)

Old 01-12-2012, 01:12 AM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about

Hey Jarod, where did you have your diffuser installed? I am looking to do the same and am wondering if I need to take it to the dealer or if I can have an independent do it. Did the dealer give you any trouble about installing it since you didn't purchase it from them? If you don't mind my asking, how much did they charge for the installation?

Cheers,

brumma

Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I heard of Aston Martin Bits before on PistonHeads but I never visited the site until now. They have some pretty good bargains, at least on a relative basis. For example, they offer the crystal ECU keys for around $550, which is better than the $900-$1,000 that Aston charges. I know several folks on this site were unhappy about only having one ECU key. In addition, they carry a leather cover for the ECU key that looks pretty good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear rear lights + N420 carbon diffuser installation (how-to)