Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2010 AM V8 Vantage or 2008 AM DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011 | 07:26 AM
facialcrunch is infamous around these parts
I'd go with the Vantage. It is literally brand new with likely 2 years still on the dealers service. The v12 is definitely a huge plus over the Vantage but the Vantage is actually shorter and in my opinion more responsive and fun to drive. I was faced with the same decision and went with the Vantage. Just my opinion.

Old 10-30-2011 | 09:58 AM
|
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Thank you all for the advice...hasn't made my decision any easier, as it looks like a split decision
So I went and test drove a 2007 DB9 with $8k miles on it, and here are my thoughts. The elegant design and proportions is true beauty....nothing beats it aesthetically. Silver paint is shimmering. Walking around the car, and checking it inside though, you could tell it was hand built....small imperfections I noticed. One of the exterior metal window sills was loose. The naviagation pop up when closed was slightly off. The interior inside of the door handle leather was loose. So these small things were a bit surprising for a low mileage car, but I guess all hand built cars do this? Don't get me wrong, in my Lotus, Everything rattles and comes apart, but I would suspect top of the line luxury to be more tight.

Test drive: the engine on start up has that unique low growl of a V12. Torque curve is superb for such a big car, but the car did indeed feel heavy. Heavier than my M5. The suspension was a lot more rigid than I suspected...small bumps felt even in normal mode. The paddle shift and transmission was smooth....down shifts were very smooth - almost smoother than the SMG in my M5.

Overall, I wasn't blown away and I still have to test drive the Vantage. The two aspects in deciding factors are the exterior luxurious aesthetics and the drivability. Hands down the DB9 is the most beautiful car. A bit of the "hand built" loose parts were a bit of a let down. The engine is strong, but the ride wasn't super comfortable for a GT cruiser. Car doesn't feel sporty or nimble. As a note to previous statements about age group, I will tell you that I did feel somewhat old driving this car (I'm 39), so I just have to see how the Vantage suits me.
I'll test drive the Vantage and report back.

Old 10-30-2011 | 11:48 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I choose the Vantage, I like the looks slightly over the DB9. But a larger factor was the easier engine access for maintenance, cheaper maintenance and repair cost of the V8. Performance wise the vantage was already a steep towards a GT from my previous Porsches and I thought a DB9 would be too much GT and not enough sports car.

Old 10-30-2011 | 12:45 PM
|
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Agreed!

Anyone have any feedback of the Nurburgring Edition?

Old 11-01-2011 | 12:05 AM
rynacd is infamous around these parts
I was considering a DB9 before i purchased my Vantage as well. Drove both and immediately decided on the Vantage. Personally, i like how the smaller Vantage drives and i think it looks more aggressive/updated than the DB9.

Of course the DB9 has the V12 engine so you can't go wrong with that. Both are fantastic cars you can't go wrong either way.

Old 11-01-2011 | 08:50 AM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
I prefer the Vantage because of the Manual transmission and lower weight. After driving a friend of mines V8 vantage with the 6 speed manual it was such an awesome all around car. I love the V12 engine in the DB9 but I dont like the transmission. If there was a 6 speed manual in the DB9 then I would think differently. Let us know what you end up with and best of luck wither way.

Old 11-01-2011 | 05:49 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
We have a good deal on a Black/Black 6-Speed: 2006 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe for Sale in Middleburg, VA 20118

Old 11-01-2011 | 06:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by Global Autosports
We have a good deal on a Black/Black 6-Speed: 2006 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe for Sale in Middleburg, VA 20118
Ariel, that is a great deal!.....but I think I'm going with the Vantage.

I do have my eye on one that I found through your website though

Old 11-02-2011 | 01:59 PM
Marcos91 is infamous around these parts
Tha Vantage does seem to make more sense for you, but age is irrelevant - I got my DB9 at 36 and my 'old-fart's' DB7 at 34!

The DB9 can be made into a far sportier car very easily, not much more than a set of springs and a geometry set-up - did you drive a Sport Pack equipped car for example? Also the trim pieces... my car is 5yrs old with 25k miles, everything is tight in there. That car needs tidying up.

Standard DB9 has been set up to waft and be smooth rather than sporty but it and the Vantage are on the same chassis, very slight differences in weight distibution (taller as wet sumped and heavier engine in DB9) and wheelbase but the same chassis ultimately.

I wanted 1) V12, 2) Ragtop, 3) Manual transmission. That only left one choice, the DB9 I have (there are no MT DBS Volantes in the UK) and I have turned it onto a sports car that does the GT thing rather than other way around. Wrong? Maybe, I don't care.

The Vantage is a fine car, but I had an XKR once and I remember that engine It's also a little short for my tastes but I know I am in the minority there.

Old 11-03-2011 | 06:09 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Have you had a chance to test drive the Vantage yet? The N400 feels a lot stronger and as I posted on LotusTalk, the 4.3L stock felt kind of sluggish to me. I ultimately went with a 4.3L but it had the performance pack and the Quicksilver exhaust. Pedal feel is great now and the sound is soooo good. If you buy one, research fuse 22, eventually buy a quicksilver exhaust and smile every time you drive

Old 11-03-2011 | 05:19 PM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
You are wise to test drive both to see what YOU think, as ultimately it is all down to personal taste.

The DB9 is a firm riding GT with a sporting twist - if you go for the V12 try and find one with the Sportpack (or ADS, but this wasn't an option until the 010MY) ,the latest 09MY+ with 470 horses and faster gear change etc is best, but depends on your budget!

The Vantage is more sports car, smaller more "wieldy" and involving, again best find one with the Sportspack if you can, manual adds to the involvement and the 4.7 is well worth the extra over the 4.3 - be sure to try a Roadster you may be surprised how good they are and the V8 sounds fantastic roof down.

You need to spend time with both to "get them" they aren't touchy feely chuckable road racers like a Porsche GT3, rather their driving pleasure comes from a great chassis balance, which creates a great flow down a twisty road, along with chunky steering (and gearchanges in the Vantage) and awesome sound tracks. In addition the looks and interior add to the feel good factor, these really are multi-faceted cars that appeal on several different levels.

Best of luck with the search.
G

Old 11-03-2011 | 06:28 PM
|
Originally Posted by RossL
Have you had a chance to test drive the Vantage yet? The N400 feels a lot stronger and as I posted on LotusTalk, the 4.3L stock felt kind of sluggish to me. I ultimately went with a 4.3L but it had the performance pack and the Quicksilver exhaust. Pedal feel is great now and the sound is soooo good. If you buy one, research fuse 22, eventually buy a quicksilver exhaust and smile every time you drive
I went to CNC Motors in Ontario to try to test drive a Vantage the other day, but they don't allow it unless you are ready to buy. Yea saw your post on LT, and N400 should suit me fine.
What does the Performance pack consist of?
Def. looking at Quicksilver exhaust....where do you source them?
Read about Fuse 22 on the AMOC board - lots of good info there. Did you just remove it?

Originally Posted by Grant3
You are wise to test drive both to see what YOU think, as ultimately it is all down to personal taste.

The DB9 is a firm riding GT with a sporting twist - if you go for the V12 try and find one with the Sportpack (or ADS, but this wasn't an option until the 010MY) ,the latest 09MY+ with 470 horses and faster gear change etc is best, but depends on your budget!

The Vantage is more sports car, smaller more "wieldy" and involving, again best find one with the Sportspack if you can, manual adds to the involvement and the 4.7 is well worth the extra over the 4.3 - be sure to try a Roadster you may be surprised how good they are and the V8 sounds fantastic roof down.

You need to spend time with both to "get them" they aren't touchy feely chuckable road racers like a Porsche GT3, rather their driving pleasure comes from a great chassis balance, which creates a great flow down a twisty road, along with chunky steering (and gearchanges in the Vantage) and awesome sound tracks. In addition the looks and interior add to the feel good factor, these really are multi-faceted cars that appeal on several different levels.

Best of luck with the search.
G
Good descriptions on the drivability....you're right in that each car has it's own personality. Coming from a Lotus and M5, I love them both for their different feedback and different sporty styles. I think the Vantage will come in between them and satisfy my road feel along with its luxury....looking forward to getting in one real quick!

Old 11-03-2011 | 06:43 PM
bikeracer1098 is infamous around these parts
Back in 2008 I decided to go for the Vantage instead of thr DB9.

For additional info on the Vantage and Performace Pack etc have a look on the Aston section of www.pistonheads.co.uk and also www.amoc.org

Old 11-03-2011 | 06:44 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
The Aston dealers sell the Quicksilver exhaust.

Here's a link with some details about both:
http://www.hwmastonmartin.co.uk/part...rtsectionID=45

Old 11-04-2011 | 05:39 AM
Marcos91 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
If there was a 6 speed manual in the DB9 then I would think differently. Let us know what you end up with and best of luck wither way.
There is - I have one. The manual box and sports pack (or new set of springs) bring the DB9 to life, you get the handling of the Vantage (same chassis) but V12 power as well, plenty of luggage space and in my opinion better looks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 AM V8 Vantage or 2008 AM DB9