Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2010 AM V8 Vantage or 2008 AM DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011 | 08:34 AM
|
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
2010 AM V8 Vantage or 2008 AM DB9

I have been eyeing the Aston for quite some time....I have always wanted a DB9 for its flawless original design, but the Vantage is growing on me. The only obvious exterior/interior build difference is the 2 seats, which may be a plus for my boys in the back.
Of course, the big difference would be the drivability with the DB9 being more of a GT cruiser, whereas the Vantage may have a more sportier feel. I do have an M5 and a Lotus, so I appreciate the way both cars drive.

So here are the two cars I am considering for now:

2010 AM Vantage V8 with only 279 miles on it, virtually new:
http://www.jakesmotorcars.com/web/us...go-CA/1959236/

2008 AM DB9 with only 3289 miles on it, but NO warranty ( I would like warranty, as I have some reservations about maintenance and reliability)
http://www.dcmotorcars.com/inventory...8#request-info

For AM owners, did you prefer to have one vs. the other...and why?

Old 10-28-2011 | 09:37 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
If you are trying to get somebody in the back of a DB9, good luck. Unless there small children.

You can always get a extended service contract from a dealer. It would give you some piece of mind. Granted which one you get will effect what it covers.

Old 10-28-2011 | 11:55 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
For me, the answer is simple....V12 motor.

And the much more expensive (when new) 2008 DB9 should lose less in yearly depreciation from this point forward than the much cheaper (when new) 2010 V8V.

The only reason to pick the V8V is if you personally like the looks more than the DB9.

But, to appease some, I will state that this is only my opinion.

Old 10-28-2011 | 12:27 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Both are beautiful ... but that V8 has a stunning/classic color combination and MT! For MY2010, seems harder to find one with a 6 speed.

Probably the best thing to do is go drive them back to back to really feel the differences and get a good look at the DB9 backseat.

I personally, like the shorter stance of the Vantage better. It gives the elegant design a bit of an aggressive look. If money were no issue, I'd be in a DBS ... but just can't justify ... yet.

Good luck, I am sure you will not be disappointed with either one. Both are very fine modes of transportation.

Old 10-28-2011 | 04:32 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
It appears that the V8V is pretty basic--not many options. For example, no Nav System (some don't like the Aston Nav, but once you get used to it, I find it very helpful). No Cruise Control, no heated seats, No Sirius Radio, No upgraded sound system, No Xenon (HID) headlights. The DB-9 appears to have most of these options (except the Sirius Radio).

Old 10-28-2011 | 04:57 PM
tandrup is infamous around these parts
Just my two cents: I have been going through the same decision process lately and I like the DB9 better from a design standpoint. I also completely agree with the comment that someone up above made about the back seats. Honestly it really doesn't matter with the back-seats in the DB9 - cause unless you are less than 5' tall and can slide the front seat all the way up, there is no way you can get anyone in the back-seat for more than 4-5 minutes until they need to get out and stretch and start the blood circulation to their feet again.

Old 10-28-2011 | 06:23 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Do you want more of a GT car (DB9) or a sportier car (V8V)? Its really up to you, not our opinion as they are both great cars.

There is something to be said about having a V12, but with it comes a rear seat and a GT feel. The V8 Vantage has a smaller engine but more feel and is more tossable around corners IMO.

Go to a dealer and test both to make sure its your best choice. I did before spending that kind of money!

Old 10-29-2011 | 07:05 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Agree with a lot of what has been said so far. One more thing to consider is your age. Younger folks tend to drive a Vantage, while the DB9s tend to be driven by older folks. I recall a recent episode of Top Gear where James May said the DB9 is nice but there's a sense of "old fart" about it. Not my words, but you get the idea.

Oh, and while the DB9 has the V12, it is detuned and "only" produces 470 bhp instead of the V12V's and DBS' 510 bhp.

Old 10-29-2011 | 11:41 AM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Agree with a lot of what has been said so far. One more thing to consider is your age. Younger folks tend to drive a Vantage, while the DB9s tend to be driven by older folks. I recall a recent episode of Top Gear where James May said the DB9 is nice but there's a sense of "old fart" about it. Not my words, but you get the idea.

Oh, and while the DB9 has the V12, it is detuned and "only" produces 470 bhp instead of the V12V's and DBS' 510 bhp.
This is one of those cause/effects issues. While age and type of car may correlate, it doesn't tell you about which is the cause and which is the effect.

I would imagine that the reason younger drivers tend to have V8V is because they are a whole lot cheaper than DB9s. The DB9 demographic is older because the older demographic has more money and can more readily afford a DB9.

Personally, I can't imagine choosing a V8V over a DB9 given roughly equal pricing, regardless of the purchaser's age. The DB9 has an 'exotic' V12, and the V8V doesn't. And the longer wheelbase gives the DB9 a longer, lithe profile that is absent in the V8V.

I know lots of people like the entire Aston Lineup, but for me, there are only 2 models that I like...DB9 and DBS. I really couldn't see myself ever being interested in the others. So I guess I'm only a 'partial' Aston fan...

Old 10-29-2011 | 12:27 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
It appears that the V8V is pretty basic--not many options. For example, no Nav System (some don't like the Aston Nav, but once you get used to it, I find it very helpful). No Cruise Control, no heated seats, No Sirius Radio, No upgraded sound system, No Xenon (HID) headlights. The DB-9 appears to have most of these options (except the Sirius Radio).
Nice pickup, DickTahoe. An issue to consider is the fact that the Aston, unlike any other sports car or GT, separates itself from the pack as the acknowledged leader in the creature comfort/quality appointments area; if the Vantage does not have those, what have you got? Might as well get a Porsche, which was seemingly designed by The Borg (sorry, could not resist the Star Trek reference).

The DB9 is no slouch at 470 hp, and quite a bit torqueier (?) than a Vantage.

Another question to consider is what you will do with the car. Both go faster than most will ever drive them. Both offer an incredibly classic look. The DB9 is considered a distance runner, whereas the Vantage is considered a sprinter.

The kicker for me would be the v12 in the DB9. For a few bucks, you can end up with the hp and torque of a DBS. It would cost considerably more money to bring a v8 up to 470 hp. In the end, you would still just have a higher hp v8. But that v12..............!!

Look at the back seats in the DB9 as more of a padded parcel shelf, because unless your kids have no legs, the seats are useless. They are there because Aston can import it for less money as a 4-seater.

Just my .02

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by CRVETR; 10-29-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2011 | 12:43 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
This is one of those cause/effects issues. While age and type of car may correlate, it doesn't tell you about which is the cause and which is the effect.

I would imagine that the reason younger drivers tend to have V8V is because they are a whole lot cheaper than DB9s. The DB9 demographic is older because the older demographic has more money and can more readily afford a DB9.
You may be correct as to cause/effect, but the outcome is the same in terms of demographics.

I agree that cost plays a significant role, but I think it's more than that. For instance, I could see myself driving a DBS, but not a DB9, and the DBS is a lot more money. The DB9 is much more of a "cruiser" with its less aggressive looks and softer suspension.

Last edited by Racer_X; 10-29-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2011 | 12:48 PM
tredirtyfive is infamous around these parts
Vintage gets my vote

Old 10-29-2011 | 12:51 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Big Correction for 2010 V8V: When I went to the link I only looked at the listed "Vehicle Equipment" on the 2010 Vantage and it didn't show any options, but under the "Description" the dealer lists all the options. Sorry about that, I thought it was a "good catch", but I blew it on this one. This Car is Loaded! Try to get a clear copy of the Window Sticker--that will list all the Options on the car. (The copy the dealer photographed and posted is not readable).

Old 10-29-2011 | 07:43 PM
tjf06db9 is infamous around these parts
I have an '06 DB9 & love it. For my money, the DB9 is more classically elegant than the V8V. The V12 exhaust note is superb & in a class of it's own. I also considered buying the extended warranty and opted not to. Generally, the DB9 is pretty reliable particularly on major components like the drive train. The service folks at Star Motors, the AM dealer in Houston, said the AMs that have the most probelms are those that don't get driven enough. Threir advice: Drive the car often becuase AMs love the be driven!!

Old 10-30-2011 | 05:58 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
When I was choosing in 2008, it was new vs. new and the Vantage just wasn't "special" feeling enough. Granted, the DB9 was less of a sports car, but enough of one for my intended purpose. The look, V12 engine and exclusivity did it for me. Around here you see plenty of everything and while it's hard to call the Vantage "common", it so is in comparison to DB9 or DBS sightings. The Vantage probably would have been more right for a daily, but the DB9 had that exotic feel whenever I took it out. Agree with all on rear seats, which is forget them unless you drive with the seat WAY forward or are 3 passengers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 AM V8 Vantage or 2008 AM DB9