Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Powder coating OEM wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:05 PM
eelton is infamous around these parts
Powder coating OEM wheels?

I need to get the curb rash repaired on my two front wheels (most of it is there from when I bought the car, but I did put one pretty big gouge in myself!). I've looked into taking them to Wheels America. They have a flat rate for repairing and powder coating them, even if it's not the original color. So, I thought I might get all four wheels done.

Has anyone done this? If so, I'm curious as to what color people have used. My car is onyx black, and I ran across this grey color that I thought looked good (at least on a silver car): ebay link

Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
I think the black powder coating will look great on your car. Please update when done. I'm looking to repair my wheels as well. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
I bought mine like this and I'm not sure what the previous owner did but I think it looks great and makes the car look sportier.

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Add Content

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
eelton is infamous around these parts
I haven't been a big fan of black wheels, but they're starting to grow on me...

Thanks for the suggestions/pictures.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
RHYNO is infamous around these parts
I powder coated my wheels in a gloss black finish and added factory dark grey center caps to finish off the look. The powder coat has held up perfect with no chips after a year of driving (about 11,000 miles) my cost was $550 to powder coat all 4 wheels

Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
I'm looking to do my wheels in most likely a gunmetal (dark gray) color. I'll post pics once my friends gets finished photoshoping it for me

Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Here are some pictures of the optional 19" Factory "Anthracite" rims with the Pirelli PZero sport pack tires on my '07 Chiltern Green Vantage. I took the pictures early this AM before I installed the "Silver" 19" rims with stock RE050A Bridgestones for the upcoming wet weather (no snow here ).
In one photo you can clearly see the "road acne" above the factory installed film - later model cars had the film applied above the seam line to protect this area...wish I had known earlier...

Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Powdercoating

Lots of reasons to powdercoat.

In my case,
1. Loved the Aston appearance, best looking on the road, but a little "soft".
2. Despised the never ending brake dust deposits.
3. Needed to resolve a minor curb damage issue of my own.

A friend and his son own a powdercoating company in the Detroit metro. They alerted me to a new to me, textured, semi gloss black alternative. A good choice to my mind, 2.5 years of driving later, still happy.

Hint: A fatter tire, one width up, yields increased, but not infallible, curb protection.