Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Another vote for Lotus. For the cost of a used Lotus, it's hard to beat the performance you get on the track, especially with a few choice mods. 2007 Exige S is the one to go for if you're looking for cost/performance. Maintenance is really inexpensive and for basic stuff, it's extremely easy to work on to boot.

But if you're looking for a double duty car that won't break the bank, a base Cayman R is pretty impressive.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Did they ever reduce the price on the clams of an Elige? They used to be crazy expensive something like 5-7k before paint if I recall correctly.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blayne
As of right now, I am leaning towards a Z06. I like the porsche but can't imagine putting it off a wall. You can pick up Z06's in the States for under 50K in the 07-08 range. I have time to think about it though as we got snow last week and they are saying more next week so I don't imagine I will be at the track anytime soon. Penguin, where do you track your car and with what group do you go with?
I have only been on the track twice. Went to Toronto Motorsport Park on the last two open track days of the season. It's a great track to wet your feet on. I'm going to try Mosport in the spring, though, that's a different league all together.

The vette may be similar to your Aston. Similar layout, same rear transaxle (I think?). They really are amazing cars for the track and reasonably cheap to run in Toronto. Check out the Track times for those cars.

Did you consider a 4.3L Aston? I think they are about 60k now. That would be a very cool track choice (not cheap though). I would even put the day glow paint around the front grill.

Sadly I need a car that can do winter too as I put my Vantage away.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
honestly, a 997 GT3 is the car you want. more dailyable than an elise/exige, they don't break from track work, and they're very involving no matter what speed you drive.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by maroli
honestly, a 997 GT3 is the car you want. more dailyable than an elise/exige, they don't break from track work, and they're very involving no matter what speed you drive.
Definitely makes sense in terms of a better daily driver. Exige sucks as a DD. But it sounds like the OP is looking for a AWD solution, which limits things considerably.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
I should learn to read. How bout a 997 gt3 and a 3k subaru beater? okay, I'm biased.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I'm also looking for a track toy, I was looking for a Lotus but I think I'll go fo the radical

Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by milou
I'm also looking for a track toy, I was looking for a Lotus but I think I'll go fo the radical
The Radical is a beast!
But I'd certainly have a LOT of track time before jumping into a Radical. I've been racing Lotus for 3 years and still wouldn't jump into a radical yet.
Also pretty expensive to maintain.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
I just started reading this thread. I laughed when I read you were running a 2 Eleven. Not because I have one, but because I've been running one in Forza 4 and it's almost like cheating, it handles so well.

When I finally get on the track I may run my Vantage S - all that I've read agrees it's a pretty good track car. A pre-owned Exige S would also be on my list.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Is the v12 vantage trackable??

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I just started reading this thread. I laughed when I read you were running a 2 Eleven. Not because I have one, but because I've been running one in Forza 4 and it's almost like cheating, it handles so well.

When I finally get on the track I may run my Vantage S - all that I've read agrees it's a pretty good track car. A pre-owned Exige S would also be on my list.
Believe me, when you're trying to keep up with a 2-11 on the track with a regular Exige S, it feels like cheating too.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Dr. G

You said it! It's all about the handling!

Originally Posted by spf4000
Believe me, when you're trying to keep up with a 2-11 on the track with a regular Exige S, it feels like cheating too.
Yea I started out with a supercharged Elise, but when the 211's were always a few seconds faster I had to upgrade.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by plastique999
You said it! It's all about the handling!

Yea I started out with a supercharged Elise, but when the 211's were always a few seconds faster I had to upgrade.
Once I move out of the city so I can get a trailer, the 211 is what I'm going to get. Hopefully, by the time that happens, my friend will be ready to sell his.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
or a vx220 . Lotus chassis but Vauxhall brand and much cheaper. I have heard of toyota 2.2 litre engine transplants as well .

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by spf4000
Once I move out of the city so I can get a trailer, the 211 is what I'm going to get. Hopefully, by the time that happens, my friend will be ready to sell his.
:applause:

Originally Posted by theinz
It all comes down to what you want to spend up front.
I am a PCA Instructor and track a Boxster and love it.
It is still a momentum car so the your skill improves as you log hours.
Stay within your skill set as you grow then invest into a faster car
Totally agree... Momentum cars are the best to start with to learn car control. Don't want to use HP as a crutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track car?