Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
blayne is infamous around these parts
Track car?

Hey Guys,

Presently have an 09 Vantage and have had it for just over a year. Have had it to the track a couple of times and had a blast. So much so that I am looking at perhaps getting a car that is used primarily for the track. I love the Vantage but don't like the "wear and tear" from the track and was also looking for something perhaps a little quicker. I will not be getting rid of the AM as it is a very special car IMO. I know a lot of you guys have had different cars and have had them at the track and was wondering what you would think would be a good track car. I was thinking of between 50-80k but would prefer to stay on the lower side of that budget. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:14 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Look at my avatar......honestly, the best track car IMO is the Lotus hands down. I've been racing in the LotusCupUSA (formerly Lotus Challenge Series) for the past 3 years, and we often team up with other race series - Porsche, Speed Ventures, etc....and we often run the fastest times depending on which class.

I first started in a 2005 Lotus Elise, and slowly modded until it became a track car only - added supercharger, double adjustable suspension, aero mods, eventually roll cage, etc. Although the Elise is not the fastest in a straight line, the power to weight ratio is superb. The Elise has 190 hp weighing around 2000 lbs, and the supercharger added another 45 hp or so. The handling of the car is outstanding, and there are few that can beat it in this area (save Ferrari I've heard). As you know it's not always about speed, but the set up of the car.

I then switched to a Lotus 211 which weighs 1615 lbs. dry and has 250 hp. This thing is deadly fast, and will destroy P-cars, Corvettes, Vipers, etc....

Racing can be expensive as you know, so you want a car that is relatively cheap when things break down. You can buy a used Elise for $25k to $30k and use the rest to mod it and/or for your racing budget - tires, brakes, etc....The engine is a Toyota 1.8 liter, so if you blow the top end, you can get one for $2k. The only expensive thing is if you break a clam.

Feel free to contact me for any questions
A couple obligatory pics of my Elise and 211:

Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM
bazonkers is infamous around these parts
I agree with the Lotus suggestion. It's awesome.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Having never tracked a Lotus it's hard for me to know but why is it the few times I have been to the track its always a lotus spinning out of control in front of me?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
It sounds from your post like you want a car you can still drive on the street as well as on track.

I second the Lotus recommendation; my Exige sees track duty more than street driving, and is about as good as you can get without having a dedicated track car that is not road legal. On all but the tightest circuits, high powered machinery like the obligatory Z06's/ZR1's, GT3(RS)'s and GTR's will be faster when driven equally well, but they can get expensive on wear and tear items because they are too heavy. Weight is the enemy, plain and simple, and virtually all road cars are just too fat.

A lot of performance cars now are so fast and so harshly suspended that they are just no fun at sane speeds. But Loti have such a delicacy of handling and suspension compared to most other cars that they are also a blast to drive on the road at 7 or 8/10!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Yeah a Lotus would be fun!

If you're looking for a more usable car, I would get a 911. They are very easy to maintain for the track and tons of independent shops to work on them. 997.1 C2s can be had for 50 K or less.

If you want to go cheaper- Cayman or Mazda Miata.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:37 AM
blayne is infamous around these parts
Never really thought about the Lotus although I have heard good things about it in terms of it's handling. I will have to do some looking into that. I was expecting GT3 or Z06 suggestions but the Lotus may be an interesting fit. You guys feel it would keep up or beat the other two mentioned. I know on the straights it wouldn't but you could make that up on the corners? Thanks for the input.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
plastique: You have an Elise? I've heard that the handling on these cars can be a bit unpredictable and that the Exige is more sorted. Were your upgrades in part because of Elise handling issues? Not trying to cut down the Elise. Just relating what I've heard from others and I too have considered buying a track-focused car.

Also, what's the maintenance for a car like this when it's taken to the track several times a year? I am at a disadvantage in terms of repairs given that I have a shared garage and really don't have an opportunity to do much of my own maintenance. What would you estimate as running costs if I had to go to the dealer for my Lotus maintenance?

Last edited by Racer_X; 11-07-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
S2000?

I had one a while back. Bulletproof engine and tons of aftermarkeg goodies to make it a track star.

My nephew still has my old one, at times I am tempted to buy it back and make it a track machine.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 AM
JimB_MN has a spectacular aura aboutJimB_MN has a spectacular aura aboutJimB_MN has a spectacular aura about
I raced Porsches for years so I'm a little biased but both the 996 or a 997 GT3 make incredible street/track cars. They are bullet proof and very fun to drive.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Is a Radical SR3 Road Legal here? I know they are in the UK. I've never been in a better trackday weapon!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by blayne
Never really thought about the Lotus although I have heard good things about it in terms of it's handling. I will have to do some looking into that. I was expecting GT3 or Z06 suggestions but the Lotus may be an interesting fit. You guys feel it would keep up or beat the other two mentioned. I know on the straights it wouldn't but you could make that up on the corners? Thanks for the input.
NO

However, at our level of tracking, it's more about the driver than the car. I've seen a Miata keep up with a GT3.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Marcos91 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Is a Radical SR3 Road Legal here? I know they are in the UK. I've never been in a better trackday weapon!
Agreed, had someone punt me round in one at Castle Combe, stunning grip and speed! Caterham for me if I was looking though.

The Lotus is a good shout and the supercharged Exige/Elise with 240bhp is pretty potent in the right hands. Some training is needed to get the best out of it as it's light, mid-engined and isn't big on driver aids.

It's also a pretty good road car on a good surface.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Jarod has a spectacular aura aboutJarod has a spectacular aura about
I agree with the Lotus. But if you are anything taller then 6’1" you will not fit.
Having had the Cayman S, I can say it is not an option; still too heavy, still to soft. Also it does not have a dry-sump lubrication, thus you can't drive it with slicks or semi slicks.

Have a look at the KTM x-bow. It was the fastest car (on a track) I have ever driven (the one with 300 hp).

Cheers, J

Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by spinecho
It sounds from your post like you want a car you can still drive on the street as well as on track.

I second the Lotus recommendation; my Exige sees track duty more than street driving, and is about as good as you can get without having a dedicated track car that is not road legal. On all but the tightest circuits, high powered machinery like the obligatory Z06's/ZR1's, GT3(RS)'s and GTR's will be faster when driven equally well, but they can get expensive on wear and tear items because they are too heavy. Weight is the enemy, plain and simple, and virtually all road cars are just too fat.

A lot of performance cars now are so fast and so harshly suspended that they are just no fun at sane speeds. But Loti have such a delicacy of handling and suspension compared to most other cars that they are also a blast to drive on the road at 7 or 8/10!
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Having never tracked a Lotus it's hard for me to know but why is it the few times I have been to the track its always a lotus spinning out of control in front of me?
Bad drivers....

Originally Posted by blayne
Originally Posted by Racer_X
plastique: You have an Elise? I've heard that the handling on these cars can be a bit unpredictable and that the Exige is more sorted. Were your upgrades in part because of Elise handling issues? Not trying to cut down the Elise. Just relating what I've heard from others and I too have considered buying a track-focused car.

Also, what's the maintenance for a car like this when it's taken to the track several times a year? I am at a disadvantage in terms of repairs given that I have a shared garage and really don't have an opportunity to do much of my own maintenance. What would you estimate as running costs if I had to go to the dealer for my Lotus maintenance?
To the comments above, the Lotus is all about handling. Colin Chapman's philosophy was about "lightness." When you are on a race track, anyone in a Viper or Corvette can stomp on the pedal in a straight line and out accelerate most cars, but the skill is obviously in in the corners....this is where the Lotus shines. The Lotus is a mid-engine car so, yes handling can be a bit getting used to because if the tail lets go, the momentum can carry into a spin. But like any car you learn it, but once you really get the feel of the Lotus, there is No car that will give you the road feel that a Lotus does - there is No power steering or power anything - it gives you All Road Feel - even more than a Ferrari or Lambo. It is a very Spartan car that is most akin to a go-kart on wheels.

Horsepower in a race car is a "crutch" - it allows one to make mistakes in the corners and let "horsepower" save you in exiting the corner. If you can drive a momentum car, such as a Miata or an underpowered Lotus, then you can drive any car fast.

The Elise and Exige have the same chassis. As you may know the Exige has an Intercooler and the raised hatch back cover for the engine. However, regrading suspension, it's pretty much the similar. More important whether you have an Elise or Exige is how you set it up....adjustable suspension, ride height, camber, etc.....There have been fast drivers in an NA Elise stripped to low weight that I have seen beat 211's with the right set up.

As far as track costs, the biggest wear and tears are tires which are around $1000 a set - you can run 15/16's which are cheaper. Obviously brake pads, etc. But maintenance is Not that bad....it is a Toyota engine. I would definitely not go to the dealer, but have an independent race shop that knows Lotus to work on you car - much cheaper.
There are always expendables....I've broken everything on track - transmission, engine failure, suspension, etc.....Tranny is about $1000 plus $1000 labor. Blew the top end of engine....costs around $6000 to replace new top end upgrade motor. Oil change should be $100 to $120. Gives you an idea.....

Regarding Radicals, they are not road legal in the U.S. I agree that these are monster kings on track. However, you have to be a really good driver to take advantage of these machines, and they are pretty expensive vs. a Lotus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track car?