Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Castrol Edge same as Castrol TWS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
111R is infamous around these parts
Castrol Edge same as Castrol TWS?

I've been trying to find oil. Both to top off about a 3/4 quarts worth and also in preparation for my next oil change. My car has Castrol Edge 10W-60 in it right now. I've read the oil threads here where edge was obtainable from BMW dealers. The part guy at BMW tells me that the Castrol edge for the M cars is been rebranded as TWS Motorsport. So....is TWS Kosher? The only place I can find the Edge is at the Aston dealers who will not ship due to hazmat issue!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
No it's not the same, yes it's kosher, but seriously, GIYF ... or there are two threads on the first two pages that are currently discussing this (!) (apologies, guess I'm in a grumpy mode tonight)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I am merely trying to figure this out after trying to sort through all the other threads. What has me confused is that the threads talk about obtaining Edge from BMW dealers, all the BMW dealers I contacted today tell me Edge is now TWS. Some threads here interchange Edge/TWS where as some posts, much like yours, feel there is a difference. Being stuck where the AM dealer will not ship me Edge I am merely trying to glean some semblance of understanding of the two oils. The AM parts guy wont tell me it's kosher to use TWS and BMW guy tells me its the same as the Edge. Then I read something different here and....sigh

Last edited by 111R; 12-15-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I feel that pain ... have been going thru it myself. I have at least one trusted AM tech telling me that this is in fact what they use bc Edge Sport is not available in North America. AFAIK, TWS has been used by the BMW people for many years for the M series cars so it has not recently been rebranded from Edge Sport or Edge to TWS. This is a high performance oil that has been in development (i.e. upgraded and modified) for over 10 years. As a 10w60 high performance product it's apparently at least equivalent to Edge Sport.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks, that data is a bit comforting. At the moment I am in need of topping off. In short order I will need an oil change and am essentially boxed into using TWS as well. The nearest AM dealer, a new one, told me that they use a Penzoil out of drums that he can not ship. The one I bought the car from has Edge but wont ship due to hazmat.
I will be doing basic service on the car locally in a shop that sorts out the SCCA race cars at the track so I need to source out oil I can obtain.
The rebranded comment came from a BMW parts tech person selling me a case of Edge over the phone (and was willing to ship) only to call a minute later to tell me that it no longer has the edge label and is TWS.
Feeling the pain, chuckle, time for a glass of armagnac.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:50 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
I recently changed the oil in my V8V and went through this. I contacted one of our very helpful techs, here on the board and below is his reply.

" The Castrol Edge is not available in a lot of markets for that weight..my market to now does not have it available..so my dealership contacted Aston and advised us the TWS is perfect, that the TWS is even better than the Edge so Aston has no problem with putting something from the same manufacture than is tested better..So yes the TWS is perfect, it's what a lot of dealers for Aston are now using when the Edge is not available..most stores do not have TWS so like you stated, it's available at your local BMW dealership..BMW uses this oil on the M series line-up..M3,M5..etc"

I am running it in my car and plan on using it exclusively in my V8V. I got it for just over $12/liter by buying a case of it, taxes included.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WG_moots
I recently changed the oil in my V8V and went through this. I contacted one of our very helpful techs, here on the board and below is his reply.

" The Castrol Edge is not available in a lot of markets for that weight..my market to now does not have it available..so my dealership contacted Aston and advised us the TWS is perfect, that the TWS is even better than the Edge so Aston has no problem with putting something from the same manufacture than is tested better..So yes the TWS is perfect, it's what a lot of dealers for Aston are now using when the Edge is not available..most stores do not have TWS so like you stated, it's available at your local BMW dealership..BMW uses this oil on the M series line-up..M3,M5..etc"
Thanks for posting this. I was asking the same but could not get this verification. Since my dealer can not figure it out, I will head to BMW and purchase the oil.....may do the change myself as well since they can't even get the weight right..

Last edited by DetomasoGTS74; 12-16-2011 at 07:04 PM.