Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage brake squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 PM
rich rogers is infamous around these parts
V8 Vantage brake squeal

I own a 2006 V8 Vantage. Purchased in summer 2009 with 7,000 miles, now has 32,000 miles. Serviced regularly at Aston dealer in Seattle. Brakes squeal frequently and loudly, despite new pads. None of my other cars ever have this problem and one, a ferrari 360, has Brembo brakes. What is the cause of this brake squealing? Has it been eliminated in the newer Astons?

Also, headlamp washers have malfunctioned. When operated, they stick in out position and run until all cleaner fluid is gone. Anyone ever have this problem? Expensive and major or simple fix?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
There are several things your dealer can do to rid the brake squeak. There are sticky pads and special brake grease. Brake squeak is caused by vibration of the pads in the calipers. The speed of which can not be seen with the naked eye. The newer cars seem to have brake squeak problems too, not as bad has the older cars. You can try and deglaze the pads your self just by driving.

But perform this at your own risk: Find a open highway drive to about 80mph, then when no cars are around, stomp on pedal down to 40mph. Then drive a couple of miles to cool brakes, then repeat. Be very careful when doing this.

Never seen the washer jet problem, thats a new one.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by AMFixer
There are several things your dealer can do to rid the brake squeak. There are sticky pads and special brake grease. Brake squeak is caused by vibration of the pads in the calipers. The speed of which can not be seen with the naked eye. The newer cars seem to have brake squeak problems too, not as bad has the older cars. You can try and deglaze the pads your self just by driving.

But perform this at your own risk: Find a open highway drive to about 80mph, then when no cars are around, stomp on pedal down to 40mph. Then drive a couple of miles to cool brakes, then repeat. Be very careful when doing this.

Never seen the washer jet problem, thats a new one.
Sticky pads that would stick on the back of the brake pads?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Yes sticky pads on back of the pads.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Yes sticky pads on back of the pads.
Do you have a part number for these? Need them for front and rear..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
If you were to get new brake pads from a dealer (yes I know there expensive) they come already on the brake pads. These would only be needed if you had older pads without them that squeak. Number 4G43-28-10789 Kit used for front and rear pads. Comes in a pack of 8. The rear will need to be trimmed a bit to fit.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
If you were to get new brake pads from a dealer (yes I know there expensive) they come already on the brake pads. These would only be needed if you had older pads without them that squeak. Number 4G43-28-10789 Kit used for front and rear pads. Comes in a pack of 8. The rear will need to be trimmed a bit to fit.
Will these work with aftermarket pads also you think? The pads I replaced the factory ones with didnt have the backing..I am thinking thats what causing the low speed squealing I am getting under 40mph..

Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
They should fit. Cant say for sure. Just cut them to fit. You want the most contact on the caliper pistons them self.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Awesome...thanks again..

Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
simonmv is infamous around these parts
your dealer should have a fix for this. My dealer fixed mine free of charge multiple times.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by simonmv
your dealer should have a fix for this. My dealer fixed mine free of charge multiple times.
Not trying to sound like an *** but if they were fixed then why did the dealer fix them multiple times?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RossL
Not trying to sound like an *** but if they were fixed then why did the dealer fix them multiple times?
that's what I was thinking.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM
simonmv is infamous around these parts
The squeaking came back even after being fixed & that happened several times. I forgot the explanation but i believe something something to do with the brake shims.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
The dealer has fixed my as well but I've given up because it seems the squeak always comes back. I was hoping there are after market pads that don't squeak or don't squeak as much.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Get the parking brake checked as well.
My last Vantage did this due to the cable sticking and partially holding the parking brake calipers on.
Whilst sorting that out they found a couple of the rear calipers corroded and partially seized so may be worth getting that checked as well.

Last edited by mikey k; 01-06-2012 at 12:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage brake squeal