Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Which One to Buy, New? Used?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
last901 is infamous around these parts
Which One to Buy, New? Used?

I am starting to give some thought to buying - perhaps even leasing - a new Aston Martin. The V8 Vantage seems like it's a relative bargain and perhaps the best for occasional use and road trips.

The cars are exclusive enough that I can't seem to get much information on what it's like to live with one. Cost of maintenance,reliability, etc. So I thought I'd try this forum.

Am I considering the right model?

Is there any advantage to buying used besides price?

Should I just go ride my cafe racer Triumph and forget this whole thing?

I've owned 4 Porsches, 2 Corvettes (including my current C6 coupe), several Alfa Romeos, BMW, Audi, MGBs etc. And, although I've never actually claimed ownership, I've put several thousand miles on older Ferraris, both V-12 and V8. (I can afford one; I just don't like them to drive anywhere except on high speed roads)

So, anyone care to offer some advice?

Thanks

Last edited by last901; 01-14-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 PM
HalifaxMMM is infamous around these parts
Depreciation is enormous on buying new, thats why I bought used.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HalifaxMMM
Depreciation is enormous on buying new, thats why I bought used.
Not surprising I guess, but how can on tell if a used one os a decent buy or not? Locally (Seattle area) there are any number of places to take a used Porsche or a Ferrari for a buyer's pre-inspection, but what about an Aston-Martin?

Thanks for the input. Well received.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM
kba
kba is infamous around these parts
I wanted to buy a used one (with around 1-3K miles), but I didn't because I couldn't get the options/colors I wanted so I ended up buying new because the extra money was worth it, to me, to have exactly what I want.

As for knowing if a used car is a good value, just compare it's asking price to those of similar year/options. As for a PPI I never got that far, but I assume an AM dealership may perform one? I've had mine for 2 years with 20K miles and no issues, so their well-built, reliable cars in my experience.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by kba
I wanted to buy a used one (with around 1-3K miles), but I didn't because I couldn't get the options/colors I wanted so I ended up buying new because the extra money was worth it, to me, to have exactly what I want.

As for knowing if a used car is a good value, just compare it's asking price to those of similar year/options. As for a PPI I never got that far, but I assume an AM dealership may perform one? I've had mine for 2 years with 20K miles and no issues, so their well-built, reliable cars in my experience.
Thank you. That's great input. I don't share your thought that price reflects condition though with apparent exceptions. I also think that having a dealer do the pre-sale inspection is potentially fraught with problems. Especially - and perhaps unfairly - I despise and do not trust the local dealer. I would prefer to go to California or Nevada to get my car, all other things being equal, than buy it from the local dealer. Just my own feelings, not to offer any facts or data. They seem to be successful so maybe my fears are unfounded.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
If you want to go to CA to buy your Aston, check out Aston-Martin of Marin (just north of San Francisco). Then plan a nice road-trip back home. I've had my '08 V8 Vantage serviced there and find them very honest and professional.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
While I'll hold judgement on Park Place and it's Aston arm from a sales perspective (have had mixed experiences with them), Vincent in the service dept is AWESOME. A great guy and looks out for people. He just loves cars and has so much info.

Buying one used locally, I'm not sure, but I bought mine from a local 6speed member :-)

I may be moving mine. Been itching to try a gtr. So reach out before you pull the trigger.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
AttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura about
I have my 2010 v8 vantage (mako blue) on consignment at Park Place right now. I also sold my 2007 vantage through them. I will also agree-Vince is awesome, very trustworthy and informative.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AttorneyMike
I have my 2010 v8 vantage (mako blue) on consignment at Park Place right now. I also sold my 2007 vantage through them. I will also agree-Vince is awesome, very trustworthy and informative.
Mike, are you replacing the Vantage with anything? If so, what? I ask because you, like me, have owned two Vantages and I'm curious as to where you're going from here.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM
ssaa77 is infamous around these parts
AttorneyMike: what did you end up getting to replace the 4.7L? And did you think the move from 4.3L to 4.7L was worth it?

Sorry for the thread hijiack. :-)

Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I bought mine used with very low miles and saved a bundle (25% or more). I figured the car would depreciate faster than I could appreciate it, so new made no sense.

It looks new and still has warranty. Mine had most of what I wanted so I got lucky.

It's a beautiful Vertigo blue, fantastic 4.7 v8, 6 speed, blue leather interior. It knows how to draw attention.

The sound is fantastic (delete fuse 22). The controls have a fantastic wieght to them, but not too much weight that they are a pain. The steering is near as good as my Porsche was. Life with the car has been great. It is as reliable as my Audi's and Porsche has been (I sold the Boxster S for the Vantage).

My friend has an R8 V10, that car is far faster than mine, but the Aston has a more visceral experience. You feel more connected to it, and you feel like you are in a more special place.

I'm very happy with my choice.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM
This is sounding better all the time. Thanks.

Are there any years that might be better than others or should I just look for a low mileage car?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
AttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura about
I thought there was a big difference between the 4.3 and 4.7 so I'd try to get something 09 or newer. The power upgrade was exactly what the 06-08 cars needed.

The replacement will probably be a Gallardo-don't know for sure, but that is the short term plan for now. A v12 vantage could also be in the cards-RacerX, not sure there is anything up from there-how can you want something different?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I thought there was a big difference between the 4.3 and 4.7 so I'd try to get something 09 or newer. The power upgrade was exactly what the 06-08 cars needed.

The replacement will probably be a Gallardo-don't know for sure, but that is the short term plan for now. A v12 vantage could also be in the cards-RacerX, not sure there is anything up from there-how can you want something different?
I can't think of a replacement for my V12V, but I can think of a few cars that would make nice additions. I was just wondering if you were going to go for Vantage #3, but this time with twelve cylinders.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Atty Mike: Thank you for your PM. I tried to reply - and have saved my message for a later time - but apparently I have not made the requisite number of posts to allow me to respond with a PM.

Maybe the moderators found out about my Corvette and that two of my Porsches were 914s. Oh the shame....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which One to Buy, New? Used?