Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

No More Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
lhanddds is infamous around these parts
No More Squeal

I have a 07 Vantage V8 that now has 35,000 miles. Just put it in for it's annual maintenance. It was due for a brake job, which in Aston Martin terms means replacement of the rotors, pads and sensors. When I took it in, I asked if they would shim the brakes to eliminate the squeal problem and the service manager told me that this problem has been eliminated by a redesign. Whatever they did seems to have worked great so far. Also, my car still had the original battery (wow) which I went ahead and replaced along with new wipers and 2 rear tires. The most money I have ever spent on one visit for regular maintenance stuff.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Any idea what the redesign is? I have been dealing with this since day 1 and plan to take the car back for the 3rd time to have it looked it.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
lhanddds is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RossL
Any idea what the redesign is? I have been dealing with this since day 1 and plan to take the car back for the 3rd time to have it looked it.
Sorry, I don't. He did not go into specifics and I'm still a little nervous that it's going to come back.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
VanessaDF88 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lhanddds
Sorry, I don't. He did not go into specifics and I'm still a little nervous that it's going to come back.
When are you getting it back? Please keep us posted!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Is the squelling just v8v or is it also in the db9? I was told to swap to ceramic pads (like ebc reds) on the next change ...

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
brabham79 is infamous around these parts
i get it turning at full lock going slow with no brakes alot too

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lhanddds
I have a 07 Vantage V8 that now has 35,000 miles. Just put it in for it's annual maintenance. It was due for a brake job, which in Aston Martin terms means replacement of the rotors, pads and sensors. When I took it in, I asked if they would shim the brakes to eliminate the squeal problem and the service manager told me that this problem has been eliminated by a redesign. Whatever they did seems to have worked great so far. Also, my car still had the original battery (wow) which I went ahead and replaced along with new wipers and 2 rear tires. The most money I have ever spent on one visit for regular maintenance stuff.
Never heard of a redesign...there are the normal insulators(shims ppl call them)..and a new type grease to apply per Aston Martin request..but haven't seen a new redsigned pad..just my thoughts

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
Is the squelling just v8v or is it also in the db9? I was told to swap to ceramic pads (like ebc reds) on the next change ...
All the VH line-up(DB9, V8V,..etc) can have concern with it..really depends on driving situations..

You can switch to aftermarket, no garantee's..ppl can give you there inputs, but unless your driving is alike there's, even input on wether it stopped for them doesn't garantee it will stop for you ..

OEM pads..with the iso' shims..greased with the recommended grease...I don't have cars come back unless the iso'shims have worn out and the piston starts to touch the pad metal backing plate again..if noise comes back, other concern present (hard spot on pad, burnt pad..chip in pad..etc )..then pads will be replaced

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by brabham79
i get it turning at full lock going slow with no brakes alot too
I've seen this a large amount with the hand brake pads..either a chip in the pad or needs iso shims and greased..no more concern present after