Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rattles on 09 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
mark higinbotha is infamous around these parts
SUCCESS! I installed the 2 plastic sleeves over the bolts on the airbag and the shaking went away. I also took the driver's door panel off and tightened up the screws that hold the glass in, plus I put foam padded tape around a cable in the top of the door that was rattling against the glass. Car is much quieter now.

Next I will work on the loose glass pieces in the ECU. Is there a way to tighten them or epoxy them?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Congrats!

Only time I have ever had the glass bezels loose is when the glass stuck to the "Engine" or "Start" plate was coming unstuck..and eventually fall off..

If you take out the center ski-slope, you will have access the the back side of the Emotion Control Unit assembly..you can then take it off from the ski-slope and inspect the glass bezels in your hand to see if there save-able..

They shouldn't be loose, so either the glass bezels need to be replaced or fixed if possible, or the chrome surround bezel that holds them in place is cracked/loose

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by irish07
Congrats!

Only time I have ever had the glass bezels loose is when the glass stuck to the "Engine" or "Start" plate was coming unstuck..and eventually fall off..

If you take out the center ski-slope, you will have access the the back side of the Emotion Control Unit assembly..you can then take it off from the ski-slope and inspect the glass bezels in your hand to see if there save-able..

They shouldn't be loose, so either the glass bezels need to be replaced or fixed if possible, or the chrome surround bezel that holds them in place is cracked/loose
You every try any thing to refit the glass to the bezel. I have a few laying around I was gonna try different things too.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMFixer
You every try any thing to refit the glass to the bezel. I have a few laying around I was gonna try different things too.
I thought of it, but at $140/hr@C.P.. clean it and refit hoping it'll work and garantee the repair..it's cheaper and wiser to just replace the bezel, if the new part breaks in a few months..least I know my a** is safe and it was the new part that faulted not my repair..

Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I've heard a lot about rattles in these cars and sometimes they can drive a guy nuts...what is the best way to deal with these rattles? Take it into a shop? Take it to an interior/upholostory place? take it to the dealer (although this can get pricey)?

what do you guys do...I don;t feel comfortable with taking stuff apart myself, I get worried about breaking something and/or get impatient ... I am looking for the most effective and least costly way of sorting out things like rattles and annoyances in the Aston Martin cars should (when and if I suppose) they come up...thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Fortunately my 08 Vantage was still under warranty and Vince, my most excellent tech, at AM Seattle had his bag of tricks featuring mole skin, foam with adhesive backing that he used for dash vents, air bag, nav, etc... After the "Vince treatment", the car was smooth and quite.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 AM
gqmoneygrip is infamous around these parts
my 2010 v8 vantage has what sounds like screws on driver and mostly passenger side that move forward few inches when i brake and move back when i take off - sometimes when i turn too.

sounds very near - possibly from door area.

could this be related to the window regulators as was discussed earlier in these posts? anyone with same thing? ill probably take to dealer but maybe its something i can do on my own.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
If your handy with tools, don't why not..just be careful when removing things or you'll be wishing you didn't touch anything

The noise, if from the doors..sounds like a door panel screw has fallen out and to the bottom of the door panel..or a arm rest pad nut has fallen out of the door interior handle and it's sliding in the door panel..either way..if the noise is from the doors..interior door panels are coming off and watch for any parts/screws/nuts that fall out.. if you can't see anything..take a road test with the panels off..

Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
HenryM is infamous around these parts
I had what sounded like a loose bolt rattle in the passenger door on my 2007 V8 Vantage. The dealer replaced the window regulator and the sound disappeared. After some time and miles the rattling returned. The next time I was at the dealer for service they thought it was the window regulator again and suggested we replace it. After a thorough exploration of everything in the area we finally discovered the source was coming from under the passenger seat. Most importantly, moving the seat slightly to a different position stopped it! It has returned once since then (my wife sometimes moves the seat when she rides in the car) but moving the seat a little resolved the problem. I know I should remove the seat from the car to find the actual source but since I can easily quiet the sound I haven't bothered.

Henry

Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
gqmoneygrip is infamous around these parts
thanks guys
took magnet to passenger armrest and door pull- and could hear the bolt moving around inside

popped off leather pad and saw it - inside small square compartment below pad

will drive the car again once weather permits and see if sound went away

could not find anything with magnet on drivers side but suspect it might still be there

be careful if u pop off the armrest pad as they have sharp metal pins that can scratch the armrest

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
The noise, if from the doors......or a arm rest pad nut has fallen out of the door interior handle and it's sliding in the door panel......
The small arm rest pad on my 2009 DB9 lifts up quite a bit on the leading edge. I also have "something" moving around in the door under hard acceleration or braking.

From the above, I gather
1) The arm rest pad is not supposed to move at all,
2) and because it does, a loose nut is to be found?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM
When I took my door panel off I checked to make sure the arm rest pad nuts were on tight. My local dealer tech also suggested that this is not uncommon to see these nuts come off and rattle around inside the door. I am no expert, but the only way I can see to check them is to totally remove the door panel.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Oops! Like I said, I am no expert since I only removed mine once. I went out to look at my door again and I think I was wrong. It looks like you only need to remove the 2 torx screws on either end of the door handle and give it a pull to remove it from the door panel to check the arm rest nuts. I had better shut up and wait for one of the techs to chime in.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
So Mark it's your opinion the small arm rest pad is intended to be positively attached to the door handle? It's not something that should pry off with a thin flat blade?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Jeff, to the best of recollection, my arm rest pad was physically attached from below with 2 small nuts inside the door handle. I was hoping someone else with more experience inside these doors could confirm this as it was a couple of weeks ago when I had mine apart.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattles on 09 Vantage