Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thinking about an Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 PM
mark higinbotha is infamous around these parts
I have a similar back ground as fortress55. I too had a BMW e46 with SMG and purchased an 08 Vantage coupe with Sport Shift. I recently traded my 08 for an 09 with manual trans and couldn't be happier. IMO the performance of the engine and trans of the 08 Vantage and BMW were similar. I prefer the 09 now since the power is much improved and the manual trans gives me the control I like. You mentioned that you are looking for something with a different look than the M3 and I never cease to be amazed that every time I drive the Aston I get some sort of compliment. Good luck and have fun!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by plastique999
If you come to terms with the fact that the Vantage will underperform compared to your M3 then yes. As mentioned, this car is about prestige and elegance, Not the engine power or transmission.
I have an M5 as my daily and absolutely love it and it blows my Vantage away in most areas except aesthetics. My 08 Vantage is N400 and it feels slow compared to the M5, so I don't know if N420 would even come close to your M3.
That being said, the Vantage gawks beauty everywhere I go, and the interior hand crafted leather is amazingly elegant, still smells new.
I would strongly suggest manual, as I hear the Sportshuft just doesn't feel that smooth, probably like SMG I gen of an old M3, certainly not like DCT.
Gluck with the hunt, oh I am selling mine in the FS section.
Your car is a 4.3L V8V. The difference between the 4.3L -- even the N400 version -- and the 4.7 is very significant. Since the OP is looking at the 4.7L V8V, it will not underperform the M3.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Fortress55 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sunir
Dude get the v8v in sport shift or manual 09 or newer if you can with the 4.7 L or heck the 4.3 L is fine too in the 6 speed manual ....it's plently fast for the street, performance and balance are good and looks are great, it's not a race car then again it's not supposed to be...it is fun to drive which is what it was made to be!
Haha, I may just have to! I'm definitely really considering the Aston Martin. If I do go for it, I think I'm leaning towards the 4.7L engine with Sport Shift I or II.

Originally Posted by QuantumN420
I have a 2011 N420 with SS and the thing shifts great - lighting fast and smooth between gears. The only time I experience the "clunky" shifting you all refer to is if you put it in Auto Mode on low rpms...but I wouldn't describe it as clunky....more just a very fractional delay you can notice to the next gear. I had an 06' Vantage before with a manual and I was hesitant buying a SS, but I can say I actually prefer the SS over the manual! Plus, look at this thing.....no Porsche or BMW will turn heads like an Aston!

Wow, that car looks fantastic! Do you have any high quality pictures of your car in sunlight?

Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
I am just coming out of three years in a 2009 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (997.2, C4) and I had a huge number of problems with it. No matter what - adn this is not just for Porsche - I would be extremely leery of buying a 100% new platform the first year it is released. There is zero possibility that all the bugs will have been worked out . . . these things are just too complex.

Even had my car been reliable, I still kind of wish I had gone with an Aston from the start. I always thought my C4 was sharp (particularly with the wider 'hips') but the Aston is unbelievably stunning. Without a doubt, so much more attractive than almost any other car on the road.

My Porsche was relatively uncommon when I lived in Boston, it's downright common now that I live in Silicon Valley. Call me a dweeb for caring about such things but I have to admit that I was bummed about that when I moved here . . . I bought a $100k+ car, I'd kind of like it to be rare/special. The Aston definitely checks that box . . . but I think it does it without screaming 'look at me, I'm rich and insufferable!'.

Anyway, it all comes down to priorities. Personally, I want a gorgeous and somewhat rare vehicle that is a great compromise between GT and sports car. Do I wish that some of Aston's tech was a bit more up to date? Absolutely, but I'm willing to cut it some slack because it's still such a unique, specialty product. I don't think that can be said of Porsche anymore (though it certainly can of the Lambo and maybe even the I8).
I agree with you for the most part on buying the first year of a model. That is precisely the reason why I bought my E92 M3 after the first year kinks were fixed. I haven't had problems with any of my Porsches, but then again I never bought first year models for those either. One of the reasons I really am considering the Aston is precisely for the reasons you describe. The Aston is much rarer than many other makes and, of course, has those great looks.

Originally Posted by mark higinbotha
I have a similar back ground as fortress55. I too had a BMW e46 with SMG and purchased an 08 Vantage coupe with Sport Shift. I recently traded my 08 for an 09 with manual trans and couldn't be happier. IMO the performance of the engine and trans of the 08 Vantage and BMW were similar. I prefer the 09 now since the power is much improved and the manual trans gives me the control I like. You mentioned that you are looking for something with a different look than the M3 and I never cease to be amazed that every time I drive the Aston I get some sort of compliment. Good luck and have fun!
Was the primary reason you trade your 08 to the 09 the engine or the transmission? Yeah, I love my M3, but wanted something different to complement it.

Originally Posted by Speedraser
Your car is a 4.3L V8V. The difference between the 4.3L -- even the N400 version -- and the 4.7 is very significant. Since the OP is looking at the 4.7L V8V, it will not underperform the M3.
I'm going to check out the comparisons for this. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
ptaylor_9849 is infamous around these parts
I went back and forth for 7 months about buying a V8V. Finally, I stepped up and bought an 08 sport shift. YIKES, what a mistake. The sport shift is clunky, slow, jerky and worst of all it makes you feel like the car is driving you instead of the other way around. I really felt like I was over the whole speed and power thing. That is until I spent a good chunk of change on a vantage and stepped on the gas. YIKES AGAIN, no power. Its not that I crave speed, it's just that when you spend this kind of money on a car you want the whole package, not just the fancy wrapper!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I went back and forth for 7 months about buying a V8V. Finally, I stepped up and bought an 08 sport shift. YIKES, what a mistake. The sport shift is clunky, slow, jerky and worst of all it makes you feel like the car is driving you instead of the other way around. I really felt like I was over the whole speed and power thing. That is until I spent a good chunk of change on a vantage and stepped on the gas. YIKES AGAIN, no power. Its not that I crave speed, it's just that when you spend this kind of money on a car you want the whole package, not just the fancy wrapper!
OUCH !!! Harsh review ...

Ello Govner!!!

Speedraser...c'mon mate your not gonna let 'em talk about the v8v like that are ya??? say something man!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Now that you've sold your Aston, I'm curious why you keep posting to the Aston forum and, more specifically, posting negative comments about the cars. Do you consider this some form of public service you're providing, or do you just like telling us how bad our cars are?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !XJRS Owner Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Now that you've sold your Aston, I'm curious why you keep posting to the Aston forum and, more specifically, posting negative comments about the cars. Do you consider this some form of public service you're providing, or do you just like telling us how bad our cars are?
When he sold his Z06, he pretty much trashed that car in the Corvette forum as well.

Coming from a Z06, I can not imagine how he could think that a V8V was ever going to be a satisfactory replacement. Only something with a V12 would suffice in my book. Give up some power for a much better looking/riding car with a very special interior: a DB9. That probably would have satisfied him.

But you still don't have to trash the V8V (or the Z06)...

Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Agreed I don't think there is a need to trash any Astons because the cars are not made to be a sheer breakneck performance cars... Aston hit the nail on the head with Power, Beauty AND Soul. The cars are SO much more than a spec sheet. They make you feel good, like a fine suit worn to an evening gala. I love my DB9 for everthing it is, and it's a great performance car in it's own right with good power and torque but it's also very rare, special, beautiful, classy, proper, elegant, gorgeous, spectacular, exquisite (ok now I'm just quoting Clarkson lol ) and downright epic for that it was made to do...and when I want that outright brutal and very violent performance....I simply park the DB9 and bring out my sledge hammer with a scalpel sheer blade on the edge - Porsche GT2 to play with!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I think you guys might be taking my critique too harshly. I'm not trying to bash the vantage or Aston Martin. I'm just expressing that it didn't live up to my expectations regarding the "Drive experience". To answer your question as to why I'm posting about it now the answer is two-fold:

1. Potential buyers read forums like this (as did I) when researching whether or not to buy a specific car. I think we should talk honestly about our experiences so researchers will get truthful and accurate information. That won't happen if we just sit around and praise the car constantly.

2. I could not give my honest opinion about the sport shift transmission whilst trying to sell mine. So, I kept quiet until mine was gone. Finally, now I have the freedom to speak freely and honestly.

No bashing, just personal opinion. But I will say this to XJRSOwner, for some reason you've had it out for me from the beginning and I don't know what I ever did to you?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
You're entitled to your opinions but there's just no point in repeatedly expressing your negative views of Aston here. I don't like a lot of things about the 911 but that doesn't mean I'm going to post them repeatedly on the Porsche forum. At some point it goes from merely expressing an opinion to just trying to stir the pot.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
mark higinbotha is infamous around these parts
Was the primary reason you trade your 08 to the 09 the engine or the transmission? Yeah, I love my M3, but wanted something different to complement it.

My primary reason to make the change was the transmission. I even asked my technician if the Creeper Mode could be disconnected. It was also painfully slow when you were going into reverse then back to forward to take off. Felt like I was holding up traffic in some situations. The car did feel a little sluggish off the line but my tech explained it as the time the trans was taking to overcome the transition through the Creeper Mode to normal drive. Since I was going to make a change, I decided to upgrade to the 4.7 motor and now any initial sluggishness is gone. The 09+ rips and is plenty of performance for street use. I understand the Sport Shift has been improved since 09 but I have not driven the newer software version.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Ferrari 360? About the same price as the vantage, not much more to maintain. Lighter, faster, beautiful...but then again i am biased! Vantage may likely be my next addition unless scuderias find their way below $150k in a year or two.

Last edited by MikeR397; 02-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
As you requested, Sunir

Ptaylor, given that you had a Z06, it's no surprise that you didn't find the V8V that fast. A Z06 has a 7 liter engine -- not just major power, but also massive torque at any revs. Your Aston was a 4.3L V8V which, while not slow by most standards, needs to be revved pretty hard to access the performance on offer. Quite a contrast to a Z06! What is particularly irksome is that you simply say the Aston was slow, without providing the context, which is rather important for those who are trying to get an accurate and balanced view of the car (which you say you're trying to help people do).

Regarding the Sportshift gearbox, I think it works pretty well. That said, I am not a fan of any kind of paddle 'box -- while I appreciate what they can do, I personally prefer, by far, a true manual, and the Aston's manual is, IMO, a great manual gearbox.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Mike,

I have to disagree about the 360 vs V8V on two counts. 1) I believe a 360 (great car, BTW) is a lot more expensive to maintain than a V8V, though others who have owned both may be able to shed more light on this. 2) The 360 may not be faster than a V8V. Car&Driver's test of a 360 F1 Spider showed 0-60 in 4.7 and (a better indicator IMO) a 1/4 mile speed of 106. The 4.7L V8V runs low 4s to 60 and, more tellingly, 113 - 115 (that last figure from MotorTrend) through the 1/4 mile. The 4.3 tests show 1/4 miles speeds of 106 - 108. Admittedly, I thought the 360's times would be quicker than C&D's figures, and maybe C&D's car wasn't a great example, but I haven't been able to find any other full tests, and there are several references to 4.5 sec. 0-60 times in various articles. Astons are not only about speed, which is part of what makes them great, but too many people are too quick to dismiss their performance.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Racer_x, I would never try to stir the pot. I'm not that kind of guy. In hindsight, I probably would have been happier with a manual DB9. I'm also confident that there's a world of difference between the V8V and your V12V and I'm sure I would have liked the low end grunt of your car much more. However, I still believe that real knowledge is often gained by a dissenting viewpoint. I've always believed that forums were the "go to" place to gain product knowledge both good and bad. But the more time I spend on them, the more I realize that members only want to hear the good. All the best.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an Aston Martin