Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thinking about an Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM
QuantumN420 is infamous around these parts
Here is the pic in sunlight Fortress55

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Mike,

I have to disagree about the 360 vs V8V on two counts. 1) I believe a 360 (great car, BTW) is a lot more expensive to maintain than a V8V, though others who have owned both may be able to shed more light on this. 2) The 360 may not be faster than a V8V. Car&Driver's test of a 360 F1 Spider showed 0-60 in 4.7 and (a better indicator IMO) a 1/4 mile speed of 106. The 4.7L V8V runs low 4s to 60 and, more tellingly, 113 - 115 (that last figure from MotorTrend) through the 1/4 mile. The 4.3 tests show 1/4 miles speeds of 106 - 108. Admittedly, I thought the 360's times would be quicker than C&D's figures, and maybe C&D's car wasn't a great example, but I haven't been able to find any other full tests, and there are several references to 4.5 sec. 0-60 times in various articles. Astons are not only about speed, which is part of what makes them great, but too many people are too quick to dismiss their performance.
I'm not necessarily comparing a 360 to a Aston, just something else exciting for OP to look at . A 360 can be had for $68k-$70k with a Tubi and/or challenge grille and some nice options, although I would recommend (with Ferrari or Aston), finding the nicest example with the most preferable mods in your budget and going with that. That is a pretty similar price to the 4.3L Aston. The 4.7L Aston is significantly more expensive, about $20k more. I won't compare the two models any more than price, but I will highly recommend trying to test drive the 360 (with aftermarket exhaust is mandatory!) and at least consider it .

I don't see the 360 as more expensive to maintain, especially if you service it at an Indy shop which you should b/c Ferrari will eat your wallet. Tires are similar, brakes are similar, fluids are similiar, hour labor rate is similar. I'm not sure about Aston's belts, but a 360 belt job every 4 years is ~$2.2k, and a new clutch every 20k-25k miles is $5.5k at an Indy. Of course, for the same thing you'll pay 30% more at Ferrari. The 360 has proven to be a very reliable car, and is available in a 6 speed if you want to eliminate potential F1 issues at some point, although a new F1 pump is now only $850 at Racambi. The only scary part is the F1 actuator which can be like $10k if it fails, but that is rare and can also usually be repaired, or you can find a salvage/used one dramatically cheaper.

The Aston is classic beauty and elegance for sure. Great exhaust note, fun car. As Clarkson says though, I just don't think it's reaches down my trousers and gives me the same stir a Ferrari does . Again, keep in mind I'm biased

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ My friend has a 360 Modena 2004 with a Nuvolari exhaust and his car sounds amazing...

Do you have tubi, capristo, or Nuvalari exhaust?

I think Ferrari make the BEST sounding exhaust note in the planet. I love my DB9's exhaust note...it is absolutely brilliant...but when my buddy fires up his 360 w exhaust next to it...I realize there is nothing quite like the sound of the Ferrari. Aston is unique and sounds awesome in it's own right, brutish and raspy demi-high pitch with a throaty groan....but that short stroke flat crank Ferrari just sings a lovely song

Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
sunir, Tubi and test pipes for me. It's quite a bit louder at high rpm's than Astons' stock exhausts are, very F1 sounding. I may prefer the Aston's throaty/gutteral cold start, but the 360's high pitch scream to life is great too. I've never heard an Aston in person with aftermarket exhaust, so I can't comment on how that compares. I will say the 360's stock exhaust sucks, so all 360's need some aftermarket exhaust or other, and preferably with test pipes too .

Powercraft makes the craziest 360 exhaust I've ever heard. Titanium and it's like $8k, lol. Beginning of this video is too close to the exhausts and shrill, but notice how great it sounds driving off in a distance, probably hear that thing 4 miles away..

Last edited by MikeR397; 02-10-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ wow dude that thing sounds amazing!!! sounds like a Challenge car more or less...that would be perfect for a CS screaming on the track!!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Damn, that thing howls like a banshee! Love the high-pitched wail.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MikeR397
... I'm not sure about Aston's belts, but a 360 belt job every 4 years is ~$2.2k, and a new clutch every 20k-25k miles is $5.5k at an Indy. Of course, for the same thing you'll pay 30% more at Ferrari. The 360 has proven to be a very reliable car, and is available in a 6 speed if you want to eliminate potential F1 issues at some point, although a new F1 pump is now only $850 at Racambi. The only scary part is the F1 actuator which can be like $10k if it fails, but that is rare and can also usually be repaired, or you can find a salvage/used one dramatically cheaper.

The Aston is classic beauty and elegance for sure. Great exhaust note, fun car. As Clarkson says though, I just don't think it's reaches down my trousers and gives me the same stir a Ferrari does . Again, keep in mind I'm biased
The Aston doesn't have timing belts -- it has chains, so no need to change them every few years for a few $grand, if ever. While some people have had early clutch failures in their Astons, most go many more miles than 20 - 25K. While not cheap to replace, I think it's more like $3K+ at a dealer (someone correct me if I'm wrong) than $5.5K at an indy (what does it cost at a dealer?). $10K for an F1 actuator Glad I prefer three pedals and a lever...

"... b/c Ferrari will eat your wallet." That made me laugh (probably b/c I don't have a Ferrari). I think a 360 is a great car -- wouldn't mind having one at all But, I think your post supports my theory that it's more expensive to maintain than the Aston.

I certainly understand the bias thing -- I'll have a Ferrari at some point, but for me it's the Aston that really "reaches down my trousers."

Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Can people leave some numbers they paid for a new vantage clutch? Tia.