Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thinking about an Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Fortress55 is infamous around these parts
Thinking about an Aston Martin

I have been reading this forum for years and finally registered so that I could make my first post. I have learned a lot of useful information here! Thank you all very much.

At the present time, I'm considering one of the following few cars (in no particular order):
1. Used or New Aston Martin Vantage V8 or V8S sportshift or sportshift II
2. Porsche 911 Carerra S PDK 991
3. Used Gallardo perhaps (least likely)
4. Wait a year and a half and buy a BMW i8 when it comes out.

I know these options may not necessarily be too similar but these are the cars I'm considering. I'm keeping my E92 M3 as my daily driver.

I have a lot of experience with BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes, but I really don't have much experience with Aston Martins. I really like AMs elegant sophisticated look and presence. Are the sportshift transmissions reliable and fun to use? I love the DCT in my M. Also, is it worth getting a V8S over a regular V8?
I haven't had a chance to test drive any of the above cars but I plan on doing so shortly. I saw a 991 carrera S and a vantage today at their respective dealerships.
Any thoughts on the cars above?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-07-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: not enough posts, time and not in open forum
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
The Vantage S has the best sportshift trans. It is not as fast as a DC but its a good unit. The regular ss in the 09 and up Vantages is not as fast as the ss II but I have it in two cars and it is ok especially if you get the RSC TCU. You can get leftover 11s for 25-35 off sticker which makes them very attractive. I would not buy a pre 2009 car. If you buy used check clutch and all service records. Try to buy one with wrrty. left so you are covered. Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Viper1
The Vantage S has the best sportshift trans. It is not as fast as a DC but its a good unit. The regular ss in the 09 and up Vantages is not as fast as the ss II but I have it in two cars and it is ok especially if you get the RSC TCU. You can get leftover 11s for 25-35 off sticker which makes them very attractive. I would not buy a pre 2009 car. If you buy used check clutch and all service records. Try to buy one with wrrty. left so you are covered. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much! Yes, your insight helps. I noticed that the SS II is 7 speed as opposed to the six speed of the SS II. The SA at the dealership also suggested that I get a 2009 plus model because of the 4.7 liter engine. Would you compare the sport shift I transmission to the SMG transmission of an e46 m3? If so, have you noticed it being clunky at times? When you say 25-35k off sticker is that for Vantage, Vantage S, or either one? Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 AM
nexlogic has a spectacular aura aboutnexlogic has a spectacular aura aboutnexlogic has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fortress55
Thank you very much! Yes, your insight helps. I noticed that the SS II is 7 speed as opposed to the six speed of the SS II. The SA at the dealership also suggested that I get a 2009 plus model because of the 4.7 liter engine. Would you compare the sport shift I transmission to the SMG transmission of an e46 m3? If so, have you noticed it being clunky at times? When you say 25-35k off sticker is that for Vantage, Vantage S, or either one? Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
I test drove the 2011 Vantage N420 and the transmission is clunky. I used to own a dual-clutch M3 as well - it doesn't come close. I haven't test drove the Vantage S but I imagine it's similar?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Just get a 6 speed!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
If you come to terms with the fact that the Vantage will underperform compared to your M3 then yes. As mentioned, this car is about prestige and elegance, Not the engine power or transmission.
I have an M5 as my daily and absolutely love it and it blows my Vantage away in most areas except aesthetics. My 08 Vantage is N400 and it feels slow compared to the M5, so I don't know if N420 would even come close to your M3.
That being said, the Vantage gawks beauty everywhere I go, and the interior hand crafted leather is amazingly elegant, still smells new.
I would strongly suggest manual, as I hear the Sportshuft just doesn't feel that smooth, probably like SMG I gen of an old M3, certainly not like DCT.
Gluck with the hunt, oh I am selling mine in the FS section.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
Ok. Just to keep things straight the ss is the six speed and the ssII is the seven speed introduced on the Vantage S. The original ss has been improved since 08 and the 11 version works fine. It is even better with the RSC TCU. The ssII is a little faster still but both are single clutch units and will not be as smoothor fast as a dual clutch. None of them are good in auto mode. You must use the paddles for smooth shifts. If you want to drive in auto ss or ssII is not for you. The price on an S will be a little more than a regular car. If you want more of a sports car the S is the car as it has a little sharper responses than the V8. It also rides a little rougher due to the stiffer suspension. It might get a little old if it is going to be a daily driver. You need to drive both and compare deals offered. On a V8 be sure it has the sport pack suspension as the car is a little soft without it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Almost forgot, you have to learn how to drive either ss to make them shift smoother. I can tell you that either ss is better than the DSG in an Audi R8. I have driven both the V8 and the V10 and would only order one with the six speed.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by nexlogic
I test drove the 2011 Vantage N420 and the transmission is clunky. I used to own a dual-clutch M3 as well - it doesn't come close. I haven't test drove the Vantage S but I imagine it's similar?
Thank you for your comments! I used to own an e46 M3 for several years and that SMG transmission was fun, but sometime it would be really clunky and occasionally buck in first gear. The dual clutch is a night and day difference, but I wouldn't mind a somewhat clunky transmission considering the looks and presence of the Aston Martin and if the Aston is fun to drive on the weekends.

Originally Posted by CJPatel
Just get a 6 speed!
Haha, it is tempting, however, I think for this car I'm going to have to go with the automated manual transmission. However, I may check out the manual as well.

Originally Posted by plastique999
If you come to terms with the fact that the Vantage will underperform compared to your M3 then yes. As mentioned, this car is about prestige and elegance, Not the engine power or transmission.
I have an M5 as my daily and absolutely love it and it blows my Vantage away in most areas except aesthetics. My 08 Vantage is N400 and it feels slow compared to the M5, so I don't know if N420 would even come close to your M3.
That being said, the Vantage gawks beauty everywhere I go, and the interior hand crafted leather is amazingly elegant, still smells new.
I would strongly suggest manual, as I hear the Sportshuft just doesn't feel that smooth, probably like SMG I gen of an old M3, certainly not like DCT.
Gluck with the hunt, oh I am selling mine in the FS section.
Thanks for your response! I realize that my M3 is a better performer and the DCT transmission is great, however, yes, the Aston has a certain presence and look about it. I love the M3's looks, performance, etc., however, I'm looking for a car with a different presence about it to complement the M3. It looks like I'm going to have to check out the manual transmission and both types of sportshift transmissions to get a good idea. What's really interesting is that the SA told me that the last person that bought an Aston Vantage from the dealership bought the Vantage to complement his M3.

Ok. Just to keep things straight the ss is the six speed and the ssII is the seven speed introduced on the Vantage S. The original ss has been improved since 08 and the 11 version works fine. It is even better with the RSC TCU. The ssII is a little faster still but both are single clutch units and will not be as smoothor fast as a dual clutch. None of them are good in auto mode. You must use the paddles for smooth shifts. If you want to drive in auto ss or ssII is not for you. The price on an S will be a little more than a regular car. If you want more of a sports car the S is the car as it has a little sharper responses than the V8. It also rides a little rougher due to the stiffer suspension. It might get a little old if it is going to be a daily driver. You need to drive both and compare deals offered. On a V8 be sure it has the sport pack suspension as the car is a little soft without it.
Sorry, I had misquoted in my previous response. I meant to say "I noticed that the SS II is 7 speed as opposed to the six speed of the SS I." That's good to know about auto mode. I almost never drove my previous E46 M3 in auto mode because of the way that transmission worked. I'm definitely going to have to compare both the SS II and SS I transmissions on test drives. I'm most likely keeping his car for evenings out or for weekend purposes--definitely not for daily driving. I will check ou the sprot pack suspension as well. Thanks again!

Almost forgot, you have to learn how to drive either ss to make them shift smoother. I can tell you that either ss is better than the DSG in an Audi R8. I have driven both the V8 and the V10 and would only order one with the six speed.
My cousin just ordered an R-Tronic V8 Audi R8 interestingly enough and it was a car I was considering until he ordered it. Since I have a lot of experience with the SMG and now DCT transmissions of the M3s, I'm guessing I should be able to get acquainted with the SS transmissions fairly quickly, unless there are some unique quirks that I have to get used to.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Dude get the v8v in sport shift or manual 09 or newer if you can with the 4.7 L or heck the 4.3 L is fine too in the 6 speed manual ....it's plently fast for the street, performance and balance are good and looks are great, it's not a race car then again it's not supposed to be...it is fun to drive which is what it was made to be!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
QuantumN420 is infamous around these parts
I have a 2011 N420 with SS and the thing shifts great - lighting fast and smooth between gears. The only time I experience the "clunky" shifting you all refer to is if you put it in Auto Mode on low rpms...but I wouldn't describe it as clunky....more just a very fractional delay you can notice to the next gear. I had an 06' Vantage before with a manual and I was hesitant buying a SS, but I can say I actually prefer the SS over the manual! Plus, look at this thing.....no Porsche or BMW will turn heads like an Aston!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Originally Posted by QuantumN420
I have a 2011 N420 with SS and the thing shifts great - lighting fast and smooth between gears. The only time I experience the "clunky" shifting you all refer to is if you put it in Auto Mode on low rpms...but I wouldn't describe it as clunky....more just a very fractional delay you can notice to the next gear. I had an 06' Vantage before with a manual and I was hesitant buying a SS, but I can say I actually prefer the SS over the manual! Plus, look at this thing.....no Porsche or BMW will turn heads like an Aston!

Your car looks mean!! (in a good way)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
I am just coming out of three years in a 2009 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (997.2, C4) and I had a huge number of problems with it. No matter what - adn this is not just for Porsche - I would be extremely leery of buying a 100% new platform the first year it is released. There is zero possibility that all the bugs will have been worked out . . . these things are just too complex.

Even had my car been reliable, I still kind of wish I had gone with an Aston from the start. I always thought my C4 was sharp (particularly with the wider 'hips') but the Aston is unbelievably stunning. Without a doubt, so much more attractive than almost any other car on the road.

My Porsche was relatively uncommon when I lived in Boston, it's downright common now that I live in Silicon Valley. Call me a dweeb for caring about such things but I have to admit that I was bummed about that when I moved here . . . I bought a $100k+ car, I'd kind of like it to be rare/special. The Aston definitely checks that box . . . but I think it does it without screaming 'look at me, I'm rich and insufferable!'.

Anyway, it all comes down to priorities. Personally, I want a gorgeous and somewhat rare vehicle that is a great compromise between GT and sports car. Do I wish that some of Aston's tech was a bit more up to date? Absolutely, but I'm willing to cut it some slack because it's still such a unique, specialty product. I don't think that can be said of Porsche anymore (though it certainly can of the Lambo and maybe even the I8).

Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
PS - your car is gorgeous! I am looking at a QS roadster right now and your pic has upped my desire to close the deal this week!

[/quote]

Last edited by ShawnBoston; 02-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
QuantumN420 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the comments! I just put it for sale in the FS Section:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...um-silver.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an Aston Martin