Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Vantage Roadster Owner - Hello

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 AM
orlanderlv is infamous around these parts
New Vantage Roadster Owner - Hello

Picked up a new 2011 v8 Vantage Roadster over the weekend. From the manual I see that it had been on the dealer lot for over a year. There's a couple of issues with the car:

Paint has circular scratches everywhere from a probable bad wax job and i've heard others complain about the paint job out of the factory.

Someone apparently had a test drive before I bought the car and yesterday I noticed light scuffing on one of the wheels. Easy to fix and i will contact the dealer to see what their response is.

There's a light nick in the leather of the left door. Dealership said they would have it fixed under warranty.

I've read on this forum about setting up the radio and a few other things but is there anything else I need to know about the v8 Vantage? It's my first Aston Martin.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Hello and Welcome to the club. First, congrats on the purchase. Second, we need pics!

As far as the small issues, the paint just needs a correction detail. Take a look at this thread on a members brand new 2012 that needed a full correction, looks great after it was done. Go to a very highly reputable shop only, or consider doing it yourself. You'll get some time to bond with your new purchase (I would do it myself). (Thread listed in the next post by Dr. G)

The leather, glad dealer will take care of it.

The scuff on the wheel, dont sweat it too much, its bound to happen no matter how careful, the big wheel & small tire combo offer little protection to the wheel. If it really bothers you, you can get the rim edges touched up for like $150 a pop. Also, as further protection run a bit wider tires. I believe 285/245 R/F on the wheels would help protect the 19s.

Anything else to know, not really... if you have any issues, search this board its probably happened to someone else before! Best of luck, and Enjoy.

Last edited by CJPatel; 02-21-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
My car had buffer trails and wet sand marks - from the factory, not caused by the dealer. Apparently it is a common issue. The good news is that the paint had no orange peel from the factory and after correction it was smooth as glass. The bad news is that the paint is relatively soft and easily picks up microscratches so I anticipate one to two details a year to keep it looking great (not as extensive at the correction process).

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tion-pics.html

Congrats! Enjoy the ride!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Congrats on the new car! My roadster should be here in a few days and I'll be on the lookout for similar issues.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I would have your car professionally detailed, they really know how to make it look like glass, then you can easily maintain it yourself. There's a lot of experience needed to get rid of sanding marks and swirls.
Next I would find a local installer who can put on "3-M clear Bra", Front end, Headlights, Mirror backs and door edges: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otection/Film/

I would also consider having Crystal Fusion professionally applied to my windshield. I'm convinced this saved my windshield from major damage by a significant rock-hit thrown by a truck. http://www.cftproducts.com/

Take a look at this video to see what I mean. You will have to look closely in the lower right corner of the left side to see the tiny little chip.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
mark higinbotha is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the club! You may want to consider removing the Fuse 22 to give the car more rumble up to where the exhaust normally opens up at around 4000 RPM. I am also a fan of the color matched floor mats with the Aston Martin logo to spruce up the interior. Also since you mentioned that your car sat on the lot for a year, I have heard others report that their dealers had activated their warranty cards before the actual sale date thereby shortening the final warranty period. I don't see this being likely, but it is worth checking on if you are not sure.
ENJOY!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely do the paint correction. Just need to find a reputable place here in Vegas. I'll look into removing the Fuse 22. Love the sound of the exhaust.

I made sure the warranty hadn't been activated yet. So, I have the full three years. There was only 52 miles on the car when I bought it.

Not sure about the 3m clear bra. I like to change cars about every year and half.

Thinking about better tires. Better tires can fix a lot of the acceleration issues these cars have.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Acceleration issues? In a 4.7?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Viper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the roughViper1 is a jewel in the rough
Congrats on the new car. A couple of notes for you. Pull Boot fuse 15 on the 2011. The earlier cars used fuse 22. I would at least add the nose and front of hood clear bra. I have driven in Vegas myself and there are a lot of small rocks on the roads in my experience. The bra will be cheaper then a touch up when you sell the car. Other than that enjoy!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dicktahoe

I would also consider having Crystal Fusion professionally applied to my windshield. I'm convinced this saved my windshield from major damage by a significant rock-hit thrown by a truck. http://www.cftproducts.com/

Take a look at this video to see what I mean. You will have to look closely in the lower right corner of the left side to see the tiny little chip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngt8rjTnrnw
Its a bit OT I know, but I really struggle to believe that some liquid added on the surface of the glass actually makes the glass stronger. I can believe that it repels water, but repelling pieces of stone hitting the car at over 50mph by using a very thin layer of stuff really doesn't seem right.

The video damages credibility too, why no sound, is that because you'd hear that the first shot is more powerful than the second one?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Acceleration issues? In a 4.7?
Definitely going to dyno the car and do some modest upgrading to parts. I am coming from a 2012 Audi TT RS so yeah, the Aston is a fair bit slower.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by orlanderlv
Definitely going to dyno the car and do some modest upgrading to parts. I am coming from a 2012 Audi TT RS so yeah, the Aston is a fair bit slower.
No it's not. You're not giving the Aston enough credit (which seems to be a common malady when it comes to performance ). The Audi will obviously launch harder with its all-wheel-drive traction, so it has the edge in the ever-popular 0-60 figures, but the V8V is going faster at the quarter mile, which is less dependent on the launch. Of course, the Aston doesn't have the mid-range torque of a turbo car (which also makes the V8V feel less quick), but use the gearbox and the Aston is the quicker car -- certainly not a "fair bit slower."

Enjoy it. It's a wonderful car, and it's faster than you think

Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
And one thing you want to be aware of is how well the Aston performs on the Highway--for example, Passing. I have an '08 4.3L V8V and I think your approach will be the same as mine. When I get ready to pass I get into 3rd gear. That will get the engine at about 3,500RPM, then I'm ready to just "punch it to pass" and by the time I hit redline--I'm right at 100mph and I never had to shift out of 3rd. Then it's back into 6th and a coast-back to near the Speed Limit. Fun Stuff.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Congrats!!

Originally Posted by orlanderlv
Picked up a new 2011 v8 Vantage Roadster over the weekend. From the manual I see that it had been on the dealer lot for over a year. There's a couple of issues with the car:

Paint has circular scratches everywhere from a probable bad wax job and i've heard others complain about the paint job out of the factory.

Someone apparently had a test drive before I bought the car and yesterday I noticed light scuffing on one of the wheels. Easy to fix and i will contact the dealer to see what their response is.

There's a light nick in the leather of the left door. Dealership said they would have it fixed under warranty.

I've read on this forum about setting up the radio and a few other things but is there anything else I need to know about the v8 Vantage? It's my first Aston Martin.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
The vantage is not slow it just needs reving out
Fuse 22 moves to fuse 15 on MY12 cars
OP nice choice I'm on my second roadster I would recommend the 3M bra at least on the front.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Vantage Roadster Owner - Hello