Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 or N420 Side Skirts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I thought so. When I ordered my mine, they were referred to as GT4 racing skirts. There were no numbers assigned to them. The V12's protrude slightly further out because they are one piece with out the CF insert. I actually took mine off and had them next to the V12. I was thinking of installing them on the new car but there is plenty of carbon already.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
rynacd is infamous around these parts
jaymoney: i think the carbon gt4 side skirts would compliment your car nicely. You've got carbon on your hood, front bumper, and rear bumper. Carbon insert on the side skirts would be perfect.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Has anyone dealt with these guys?

They offer but the N Series- and V12V-style skirts. No prices on the website though ...

Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
They told me a while back that their skirts were going to be a bit different than the originals to avoid any intellectual property issues.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Any cost quote? CF vs fibreglass?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I never got that far.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Aston Curious
Has anyone dealt with these guys?

They offer but the N Series- and V12V-style skirts. No prices on the website though ...
I have dealt with them often. They are excellent and reputable. Nicholas has never let me down.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by jaymoney
I have dealt with them often. They are excellent and reputable. Nicholas has never let me down.
Thanks! Good to know. I favour the V12V style I think. Not sure if I'd install or not though ...

Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Lot of valuable information here, I'll be on the look out if theres a good set of N400 sills around, if not I'll just hang tight with the ones on the 06-08.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
XK120 vs. XK140 vs. XK150: XK120 is prettiest.
E-Type Series 1 vs. Series 2 vs. Series 3: Series 1 is prettiest.
DB4 vs. DB5 vs. DB6: DB4 is prettiest (DB5 is close).

When a design is as perfect as the XK120, the E-Type Series 1 and the DB4, changes/updates/etc. can only detract, IMO. All versions of the Vantage are gorgeous, but I think the original -- sills, nose and tail -- is the best-looking. The original V8V has not a single unresolved line, and its sills, to me, best emphasize the car's curves. The hockey stick curve of the N400/420 sills introduces an unresolved line, and the V12V/V8S sills look a little heavy-handed to me. The original is a masterful balance of aggression, elegance and simplicity. The changes add clutter.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 AM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Here are the V12V/V8S sills on a jet black 2007 V8V with Sport Pack wheels—just to help you make a more informed decision.

I installed them myself. The job was a little more screwy than I thought it would be, but certainly something average skill/experience can take care of.

I got them for around $1700 from RSC when I ordered some other goodies (including that carbon splitter) from them.

Attached Images    
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
XK120 vs. XK140 vs. XK150: XK120 is prettiest.
E-Type Series 1 vs. Series 2 vs. Series 3: Series 1 is prettiest.
DB4 vs. DB5 vs. DB6: DB4 is prettiest (DB5 is close).

When a design is as perfect as the XK120, the E-Type Series 1 and the DB4, changes/updates/etc. can only detract, IMO. All versions of the Vantage are gorgeous, but I think the original -- sills, nose and tail -- is the best-looking. The original V8V has not a single unresolved line, and its sills, to me, best emphasize the car's curves. The hockey stick curve of the N400/420 sills introduces an unresolved line, and the V12V/V8S sills look a little heavy-handed to me. The original is a masterful balance of aggression, elegance and simplicity. The changes add clutter.
While I agree that the first version of a car is often the best, as with the E-types, I don't think it's always the case. When I first saw the N400 sills, I felt that they interfered with the lines of the car and caused "clutter" as you say. But the first time I saw the V12V in a 3/4 view (below), I fell in love. I think the V12V sills compliment the lines of the car (don't interrupt the transition from the doors to the rear haunches) and make the car look far more aggressive that the original.

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I think to compliment the lines of the V12V style skirts, a splitter is key. That adds continuity to the lines. Nice choice Sonny ... and btw, have you posted any pics or instructions for the DIY skirt change?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Racer,

Although I think the original Vantage design is the prettiest, I have to say that the V12V design works overall -- the added aggression of all of the aesthetic changes together suits the V12V's character. That said, a certain Henrik Fisker ordered his personal V12V with the original V8V sills...

Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Racer,

Although I think the original Vantage design is the prettiest, I have to say that the V12V design works overall -- the added aggression of all of the aesthetic changes together suits the V12V's character. That said, a certain Henrik Fisker ordered his personal V12V with the original V8V sills...
Aah, what does he know?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 or N420 Side Skirts?