Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

A stretch but V8V vs M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Jace_91 is infamous around these parts
A stretch but V8V vs M5

I know some of you will probably hate this comparison but these are the two cars at the top of my list right now. Love the v8v the fact that it is gorgeous and an Aston Martin. But I have a 5-series loaner right now and love the car and the ride, even with the underpowered (IMO) I6. This makes me think that I would like the M5 even more, I definitely want to take a look once they are more readily available. My next car will be a DD and I feel like an m5 would be more practical for driving every day. Any opinions on the m5?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
cshsia is infamous around these parts
The new 2012 M5? Top Gear (UK) said on the most recent episode that as a "car", it's absolutely epic, probably one of the greatest cars ever. I'm sure it's a better "car" than the Vantage. However, will you love a M5?

All depends on what you want, British prestige or German engineering precision. Ideally having both would be the best of both worlds.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM
maroli is infamous around these partsmaroli is infamous around these parts
I would prefer the old e60 m5 over the new one. It's just become so anti-M lately. Turbocharged, heavy.....

The old M5 had an engine from a supercar instead of from an SUV. Both M5's are considerably faster than a V8V. But they're supersaloons, and an Aston is a sporty GT....hard to draw a comparison. Unless you need the extra room, the Aston will always be more of an event to be around.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Thats why I think for a primary driver the m5 would be more practical. Clearly it will always be a BMW and not come anywhere near the prestige of an Aston. As far as turbos go having driven a v8 and twin turbo I6 with similar power the way the turbo handles the power is better in my opinion. plus you gotta love that low end tq.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Power plants being turbo or n/a is completely up to your own preferences. I have one of each. They're extremely different cars, but I love them both. An M5 and a V8V are also worlds apart. Either one can be driven daily, but one is a small 2-seater and the other is a sedan. If *gasp* I had a family, I'd get an M5. But nobody loves me, so Aston Martin it is!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Friend of mine had an E39 M5 and an 850 before it. Said he absolutely loved driving the M5 but felt 'invisible' in it after the 850 (except to 'car guys' who would give him the thumbs up at the pumps). The V8V is not an OTT sports car in terms of visual impact but it is such a gorgeous beast that in addition to be fun to drive it definitely attracts its share of attention. Not sure how important these factors are for you.

If you want a practical but monster fast saloon then go grab an older E60 that's in good shape and stick the Dinan bored out 'stroker' engine into it. Will cost you abt 35k extra, comes with a 4 year warranty and gives you ~630 naturally aspirated horses ...that's just insane (although the modded up, supercharged M3's will still waste it (!)).

I considered that as an option when I was trying to figure out what car I was going to splurge on. But in the end, when I realized I could get a V8V instead, it wasn't really any contest. It wasn't important to me to have the absolute fastest car on the road, I want a car that is a blast to drive (so it has to be 'fast enough') but the design was also a big factor.

IMHO, the Vantage is one of the few unequivocally classic designs on the road right now, one of a very small handful of cars that in 30 years, you'll look at and say "Wow, what a gorgeous car!".

Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I've always been a fan of the M cars, but I don't like the trend. As was said, the new car does not have a bespoke M engine, there are "M" SUVs, etc. I admit I'm a purist, but those truly special engines were a huge part of what made an M car an M car to me. There is no doubt that the new M5 is an awesome car, but it doesn't make me want it. I don't think I could ever really want an "enthusiast's car" with its "engine" sound coming from a recording played through the audio speakers

Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 AM
ewu64 is infamous around these parts
I had an E39 M5 before, I can tell you, you will feel special the first year and probably the second year too. After that, once the fad wears out, only BMW purists will put any attention to the car. And, BMW purists are an endangering species. BMW turned into mass production of its M Division, and most M connoseurs turned away from the brand as they didn't feel special anymore.

However, that does not mean that the car is a real monster on the road. I'm sure it will beat or keep up with an AM Vantage V12 or a DBS!!! BMW finally has recognized that they are losing its core followers that put them in that special place among real drivers. And they are trying really hard to earn that place again. The new M5 its their first effort and I think it's a good start! Performance wise, you won't be dissapointed, the engine is a monster; and the handling seems to be there, steering wise, it remains to be seen and it is most a question of preference. I sat down in one, and I can tell you, it has very comfortable seats. The interior is gorgeous, and I think you will be happy with it as a a daily driver

If you want one, buy it in Electric Blue (not sure about the BMW name for the color), the same color that appears in the magazines and in the BMW brochures. That is an special M color and people in the street will always recognize it as an M, as they have mostly seen the car in magazine's pictures and brochures. That way the "specialness" of the car will last you longer. In any other color, the car will fade away faster as just another 5 series.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
That would definitely be my biggest worry, the car is comfortable in a 528 w/o sport package so I can imagine the seats would be great in an M. and I love the blue that has been used for promotions. I do think the M5 will lose its allure very quickly though. and an AM will always turn heads. Its one of the things I don't like about models that have such a large price range. People who are uneducated think its just another 5series.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Its why I think the Hyundai Equus is a ridiculous car. However nice it is I don't se justifying spend well over 60k on a Hyundai.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by Jace_91
That would definitely be my biggest worry, the car is comfortable in a 528 w/o sport package so I can imagine the seats would be great in an M. and I love the blue that has been used for promotions. I do think the M5 will lose its allure very quickly though. and an AM will always turn heads. Its one of the things I don't like about models that have such a large price range. People who are uneducated think its just another 5series.
The Top Gear review makes that point actually. They love the car and call it pretty much 'perfect' but then they say that the current 5 series is essentially 'perfect' as well.

Hey, if I had the $, I'd probably have an M5 and my Vantage but when you have to make a choice ...

Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Aston Curious
Hey, if I had the $, I'd probably have an M5 and my Vantage but when you have to make a choice ...
Would that be a great option!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
If you have the $$$ to buy a new M5... Have you considered a slightly used Porsche Panamera S??? I don't know if the design appeals to you or how big of a family you have, but it is a tremendous car to drive. Not as fast as the M5, but definitely a better car to drive. And here, in South Florida, it gets a lot of respect!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 AM
I would wait for the 2012 spring! The 2013 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe (4 doors). I think, it'll probably feel more special than the M5...???

Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
I recently drove an Audi RS6 which boasts on paper more bhp , more torque and 4 wheel drive. But when I drove it - it felt like a very fast golf. The throttle felt far too much like a potentiameter with no direct link to the engine. (or at least via a fair bit of electronics). There was no feel in the car. It was clinical. I would find it hard to love a car like that. ( No offence meant to RS6 owners). My Aston is not as powerful or drivable round corners but feels special. Feels like an occasion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A stretch but V8V vs M5