Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Squeak from rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Haha..thanx guys

Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
6Speed will not allow me to give irish07 any more rep! hahaha, says I need to spread it around.
I know! I try to give more as well bc C totally deserves it. Dudes, if you have not shown Irish or AMFixer any rep love, _do it now_! It's a single click and I think we all know and appreciate how much they contribute

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
I know! I try to give more as well bc C totally deserves it. Dudes, if you have not shown Irish or AMFixer any rep love, _do it now_! It's a single click and I think we all know and appreciate how much they contribute
+1 on both counts.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
yup, they are definitely a huge help in our small community!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
that's an interesting idea, i never thought of having custom pads made. couple questions:

how does the pad compound create the squeal when the e-brake should only be used when the e-brake is engaged (and not engaged when the car is in motion).

do the rear brake and e-brake pad compounds have to match? would it make a difference or affect anything if they're different?
The ebake on our cars is NOT a conventional e-brake system. Normal e-bake systems have a cable pulled by a lever, pull lever up and the pad engages. Release lever down and pads no longer touch the rotor.

The Aston e-bake design is a self-tensioning design borrowed over from ford. Because of this the e-brake caliper is always automatically adjusting for ebrrake pad wear by getting progressively tighter. The e-brake pad is ALWAYS TOUCHING THE ROTOR 100% of the time (I cannot stress this enough). The only differene is the level of force being applied. It's either very little or a lot, hence the pad "drags" on the rotorneven when it is disengaged.

Yes, Carbotech will make you a custom set of pads, they aren't even that much more than he standard pads, slightly more. It is highly recommended you use the same compounds for both as some pad compounds are not compatible with others which can cause noise.

The stock EBRAKE pad is a common size and is 5mm in thickness when new. I have a used set of EBRAKE pads if anyone wants me to send them off. Talk to Carbotech and they will do it for you.

Hope that helps

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 04-03-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The e-brake rotor is ALWAYS TOUCHING THE ROTOR 100% of the time (I cannot stress this enough). The only difference is the level of force being applied. It's either very little or a lot, hence the pad "drags" on the rotorneven when it is disengaged.
I assume you mean the e-brake pad is always touching the rotor.

I changed the front and rear pads on my car to Porterfield R4-S as soon as I bought it because I couldn't stand the amount of dust the OEM Brembo pads generate. My wheels would get black after just an hour drive. I never did replace the e-brake pads and I have noticed that my rear wheels still get dusty (although not the fronts). I suspected that this was because the rear e-pads are always dragging. Your post would seem to corroborate what I'm experiencing.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The ebake on our cars is NOT a conventional e-brake system. Normal e-bake systems have a cable pulled by a lever, pull lever up and the pad engages. Release lever down and pads no longer touch the rotor.

The Aston e-bake design is a self-tensioning design borrowed over from ford. Because of this the e-brake caliper is always automatically adjusting for ebrrake pad wear by getting progressively tighter. The e-brake rotor is ALWAYS TOUCHING THE ROTOR 100% of the time (I cannot stress this enough). The only difference is the level of force being applied. It's either very little or a lot, hence the pad "drags" on the rotorneven when it is disengaged.

Yes, Carbotech will make you a custom set of pads, they aren't even that much more than he standard pads, slightly more. It is highly recommended you use the same compounds for both as some pad compounds are not compatible with others which can cause noise.

The stock EBRAKE pad is a common size and is 5mm in thickness when new. I have a used set of EBRAKE pads if anyone wants me to send them off. Talk to Carbotech and they will do it for you.

Hope that helps
it's not a ford system, it's what manufactures use when fitting brembo style calipers to the rear..heck bentley uses this and there not in any way with Ford, there VW AG.

Brake pads always drag, doesn't matter if it's semi or fully floating..period!
Calipers front/rear/ebrake, at least 1 of the 2 pads will drag at times. With the aston ebrake caliper, the piston is drived in via a piston by a cable that is pulled from the ebrake, when cable is released piston is retracted. This is no different than what you described as conventional system.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I assume you mean the e-brake pad is always touching the rotor.

I changed the front and rear pads on my car to Porterfield R4-S as soon as I bought it because I couldn't stand the amount of dust the OEM Brembo pads generate. My wheels would get black after just an hour drive. I never did replace the e-brake pads and I have noticed that my rear wheels still get dusty (although not the fronts). I suspected that this was because the rear e-pads are always dragging. Your post would seem to corroborate what I'm experiencing.
Yes, typo. Ebake pad

Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by irish07
it's not a ford system, it's what manufactures use when fitting brembo style calipers to the rear..heck bentley uses this and there not in any way with Ford, there VW AG.

Brake pads always drag, doesn't matter if it's semi or fully floating..period!
Calipers front/rear/ebrake, at least 1 of the 2 pads will drag at times. With the aston ebrake caliper, the piston is drived in via a piston by a cable that is pulled from the ebrake, when cable is released piston is retracted. This is no different than what you described as conventional system.
Yes it is, I did not say it was only used on ford, but our EBRAKE calipers are specifically a ford unit (ford mechanic verified that).

The piston is NOT retracted, that's why it's not conventional, it will still apply a force on the rotor, but it is very low. The EBRAKE caliper is a rachet design, it is always constantly ratcheting tighter, but it never really loosens like a conventional EBRAKE system. When you replace the EBRAKE pads you cannot just take the old set out and put a new set in because the pads will clamp on the rotors even with EBRAKE disengaged. You have to actually use a special tool to rotate the piston like a screw, the piston does NOT move in and out, it screws inward and outward (hence it's ratcheting design). If you state anything otherwise then you have no idea what you are talking asking about. If you don't believe me put your car on a lift and disassemble the EBRAKE caliper (I have).

I know you like to disagree with things in order to make it sound like you are omniscient but trust me, You aren't right on this one ... Let it go

Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
007 Vantage I think you are mistaken; the Ebrake is not MFG by Ford. I have seen the very same assembly on other cars. I am not sure why you seem to be agonistic toward those with Aston product knowledge that conflicts with your theories. First with Mike from Bamford Rose (a professional engineer w/ Aston Factory experience) and now with irish07 . Irish07 is currently the only contributor with in-depth Aston experience and I think most on the board would not like to lose his contributions.

Last edited by millsjq; 04-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
CRR
CRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud ofCRR has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by irish07
Its not just the adjustment that needs to be done, otherwise it will return (be there, done that)...leading end needs to be chaffed..also fit in iso shims like the brake pads, cut to fit...all this together will delete the noise "COMPLETELY"

I have also seen the edge of the brake pad have a chunk missing..stone or something forced out section..this can be chaffed or if to large then pad will need to be replaced..otherwise noise will return

I seem to have this problem too apparently. I never really thought of the ebrake.

What is it "to chaff"? File the pad? And is the iso shim commercially available. Is this something I can do on jackstands in other words? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:05 PM
btoafrica is infamous around these parts
Squeak from rear end of Vantage. Did you ever get this resolved? If so, how?

[QUOTE=mark higinbotha;3500310]I have also had a similar problem with my 09. Seems most noticeable at slow speeds and when turning to the left like in a parking lot. My tech knew right away when I explained it to him and said this is a common parking brake adjustment that shows up mostly on the right rear for some reason. He made the adjustment and it went away but it is now back intermittently.[/QUOTE

Did you get it resolved? I have the same issue. Please let me know how it was fixed.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 AM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
I finally got mine to stop squeaking. New parking brake pads (Jag part in the FAQ), soaked in BG Stop Squeal, plus AM noise isolator backing pads (4G43-28-10789).

Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Organeer is infamous around these parts
With reference to the "argument" above, I believe Mark Twain hit the nail on the head when he said " Never argue with an idiot because he will only drag you down to his level and then beat you with his experience" or words to that effect.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 AM
btoafrica is infamous around these parts
Squeak from the rear

Did anyone ever get this resolved ? I have the same issue occurring on my vantage. Squeak is coming from the right rear. It is very obvious at slow speeds, and quite embarrassing. Would like to get this resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeak from rear wheel?