Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Shopping for New Tires. Pilot Super Sports.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Racer_X
The PZeros in that list are not the Corsas. Not sure on the compound.
Just did a search, they are r compounds so even better for track/dry weather but will wear much faster and have more wet weather issues. Different class than pss and dw. Probably a good thing to hold down the power for the V12!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Makes sense b/c the grip is insane. I did some searching and saw posts from others saying the wear life was pretty decent. Guess I'll find out. Hoping I won't need to replace them for a while!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by millsjq
I have also been thinking about the DWs. How was the performance vice the stock Bridgestones? IThe PS2 should have more grip but I am assuming that the DW would be quieter, ride a little better, and last longer.
millsjq,

It's not really fair to compare old Bridgestones to new Continental DWs. (I wanted the PSS but couldn't get the right sizes at the time). By the time I switched the Bridgestones were losing grip and riding pretty harshly. The DWs perform very well in the rain (important in my part of the world), are relatively quiet, and feel more compliant without being soft. They're not leading the pack in tests, but they're running with the best. Since I never drive at 10/10th, I'm very happy with them. But keep in mind that I've got them on a heavier DB9.

Only had them on for about 3K miles so I don't know how they'll wear but they are supposed to last a bit longer.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Yvr, thanks for the feedback. I would expect the PSS to outperform the DWs. But since I also do not drive at 10/10 I am willing to give away some performance for quieter and more compliant and possibly longer lasting tires. From the tests it does not to be too significant drop off in performance.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I like the contis! Michelin is great too tho

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
My OEM Bridgestone Potenzas lasted 15K miles in the rear. I hated the loud roar and stiff ride they offered, so when it came time to order a replacement pair, I went with the ContiSport DW. I got them in the 285 size so they are just a tiny bit wider than the standard tire at 275. When I bought them, I considered the Michelin SuperSports, but at the time, they were not available in the size I needed.

The Contis were rated as being very good at handling, wet and dry traction and the noise was only slightly louder than the Michelins. When I had them installed by the dealer, I immediately noticed they were quieter and more comfortable to ride than the Bridgestones. But, I also noted that the rear feels a bit more "floaty" now. It doesn't feel like I have as much control. There is a segment of !-95 near where I live that has new pavement, but it seams to have some weird undulations. The rear of the car felt a bit uneasy over that stretch of a few miles and it made me feel a bit unsafe driving it. Since putting about 4K miles of them, the floaty feeling is either gone or I have grown accustomed to it, I can't tell.

One thing that struck me about the reviews on TireRack when I bought the Contis was that people were rating them highly in most categories, but then giving them low scores on whether they would buy them again. I'm afraid Im falling into that category myself. I think that next time I buy a set, I will be going for the Michelins.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I am having the Michelin PSS's put on all 4 tomorrow am, replacing the stock Bridgestones. I will report back on my thoughts.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
. . . and stiff ride
That's what I remember about the Bridgestones, emphasis on the "stones" part.

I'll give props to the PZero Corsas again. While they may be more expensive, wear a bit faster, and have less grip in cold temperatures, they are probably one of the best "mods" you can do to improve your car's performance.

Last edited by Racer_X; 04-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
karlfranz,

Conti SportContact is the old model, and was often noted to be soft and wafty. ExtremeContant DW is the newer replacement and gets much better reviews and test results. Which ones did you have?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Mine are the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I am having the Michelin PSS's put on all 4 tomorrow am, replacing the stock Bridgestones. I will report back on my thoughts.
you sure this time?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Benjamin09 is infamous around these parts
Super Sports are on!!

Got the car out of the shop, had oil changed and tires put on. As I was driving home I was in la-la land and I was thinking "damn this ride got rougher, like I'm in sport mode all the time". Looking down I realized I WAS in sport mode, must have hit the button with my elbow or something.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
yvr
Benjamin,

Don't want to burst your bubble, but sport mode has nothing to do with the suspension on your 2005 DB9 . All it does is change the throttle mapping so you get more gas with less gas pedal travel . It also prevents upshifts if you're using the paddles (you'll hit the rev limiter ). Some of the very recent cars have adaptive damping suspension that you can select.

Please report back on the tires after you've gotten used to them. They're on my wish list for next time.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Benjamin09 is infamous around these parts
Bubble burst!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
you sure this time?
HAHA, just saw this. I finally had them put on a couple weeks ago after the new power steering pump and I love them....have not experienced the ride jarring mentioned above, but then again I have the sport pack and it has always been slightly jarring but the handling is amazing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shopping for New Tires. Pilot Super Sports.