Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

The thing I hate about my aston...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Koooms is infamous around these parts
The thing I hate about my aston...

Is that I can't put in an in-dash unit in there... even with modifications.

It's actually killing me...!! Has anyone done it?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
You mean like a in-dash..DVD/Nav ..etc...it's been done on the pre 08 and 08+ radio's. I've seen it myself..you lose somethings like the nav screen that pops up, dome light on buttons in radio, options to change features of vehicle like exterior lighting when locking..etc..but gain the indash aftermarket version you install..The HVAC controls can be removed and fitted to a new custom template......all has been done, but are the pros better than the cons??

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
all has been done, but are the pros better than the cons??
Agreed. Especially when the AM Premium Audio option is so good.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
I have seen it done on Antwan Jamison's DBS, but it's an ungodly expensive modification.
310 Motoring did a few as well before all the fraud claims and shutting down operations.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Koooms is infamous around these parts
Anyone else on these forums have it done? And was that sarcasm regarding the AM premium sound system? hahaha

I would take a 2012 high end indash unit over the silly domelight/hvac controls.. as long as its done well and OEMish

Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Actually, no, no sarcasm was intended. I think you will find that the popular opinion is that Aston's Premium Audio is one of the best-sounding OEM car stereo options available. The controls may suck, but the sound is great.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Actually, no, no sarcasm was intended. I think you will find that the popular opinion is that Aston's Premium Audio is one of the best-sounding OEM car stereo options available. The controls may suck, but the sound is great.
+1 the sound quality of the premium audio is really good.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 AM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Koooms
I would take a 2012 high end indash unit over the silly domelight/hvac controls.. as long as its done well and OEMish
You'd rather have a different unit and are happy to lose your HVAC controls? Thats pretty obsessive.

If you're that commited to change, then an afternoon with a hacksaw, some pliers and plenty of insulating tape should see you sorted.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
boosting1bar is infamous around these parts
This is mine

The OEM headunit is just dumb now and has no controls. The touchscreen controls the sat radio, ipod (located under arm rest), regular radio, etc. Retains use of the fold up screen and I have a switch to allow input from either the OEM nav to the screen or the TomTom that's integrated into the Kenwood.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Who did the work?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by boosting1bar
The OEM headunit is just dumb now and has no controls. The touchscreen controls the sat radio, ipod (located under arm rest), regular radio, etc. Retains use of the fold up screen and I have a switch to allow input from either the OEM nav to the screen or the TomTom that's integrated into the Kenwood.
That looks great. Can we see some more pictures?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Looks to be a good solution from a utility standpoint, I don't know if I like the way this interrupts the OEM "waterfall."

Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor
Josh@ECS is infamous around these parts
This type of integration is becoming the "standard" for the modern luxury cars. We do a similar setup in Maserati cars which integrate core vehicle functions and multi-meda into a single display.

A touch screen is installed in the dash and a "car portal" hub is installed in the trunk. All of the media runs through the hub, the hub acts as a head unit. The brain for the factory control station is then modified and patched into the aftermarket touch screen.

It's the only profesisonal way to get a solid upgrade and not render the original features useless.

The last system I quoted out which included all of that plus Focal components with JL Audio Amps and Subs was around $7500 installed.

Not for the faint of heart.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by boosting1bar
Not exactly optimal placement for a manual shift car though...

I like gadgets as much as anyone, but I don't need more than the basics in this car. It is so enjoyable to drive and listen to that I rarely even use the stereo (even though it does sound great). Honestly, people around here drive poorly enough already that I wish they had fewer distractions in their cars as well.

Last edited by brumma; 04-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM
boosting1bar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by karlfranz
That looks great. Can we see some more pictures?
Sure, what would you like pics of? Glad to meet up some evening if you want to see it in person.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The thing I hate about my aston...