Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

brake question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Sunir, I use Porterfield R4-S pads on both my Esprit and Vantage. The Brembo OEM pads on both cars are way too dusty. The Porterfields are almost dust free and completely quiet. I have had them on the Vantage for more 10K miles and on the Esprit for more than 90K miles, so I can attest to their performance with confidence. Check out this thread for more info:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-brakes.html
Loved hearing this feedback about the Porterfield pads as well. That is the compound I ordered...can't wait to get them. You mentioned in the attached thread that you ended up using the oem squeel pads on the rear because the ones that came from Porterfield caused a squeak? Just wanted to make sure I understood that correctly and I will do the same when I install next week. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Good point! I wish I had read Karl's thread before I ordered the EBCs, as such I have bumped his thread to the top so others can read and make an informed decision.

I seem to understand the situation about the sensors Karl mentioned...however in regards to the shimming I am still a little off. I dunno if my tech re-used the factoty OEM shims on the EBC...if he didn't what can I do? they may have extra shims at the shop or should I get a set of shims from the dealer...also the anti squeel paste Karl used in his pic...where to get that from? any auto supply store? the shop has anti-squeel paste but just wanna make sure...I wanna only have to do this one more time and be happy with the results and done with it

excellent feedback guys...this is what the forum is all about

Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Loved hearing this feedback about the Porterfield pads as well. That is the compound I ordered...can't wait to get them. You mentioned in the attached thread that you ended up using the oem squeel pads on the rear because the ones that came from Porterfield caused a squeak? Just wanted to make sure I understood that correctly and I will do the same when I install next week. Thanks for the info!
Yes, you understood correctly.

One extra note, my rear wheels still get dusty, although nowhere near as bad as the OEM—maybe 10-20% of the dust. It's weird to have rear wheels get dirtier before the fronts in a car. I suspect this is because I didn't change the pads on the e-brake calipers. When I get around to it, I will order a set for them as well and see if it improves.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I went and filled up some cans with gasoline the other day with the intention of doing just that. Then as I looked at my beautiful baby, I just couldn't do it...

Well, Im holding out hope that these new pads do the trick. The guy really sold me on them. I'll keep you posted.
hey buddy any word on how these R4-S pads are working for you on your DB9? got them installed yet?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Originally Posted by sunir
hey buddy any word on how these R4-S pads are working for you on your DB9? got them installed yet?

You beat me to it Sunir!

Yes they arrived today and I already had the car in the air waiting for them. I installed the front ones first and wanted to drive the car after just the fronts were changed to try to isolate the noise if it wasn't immediately corrected. The install was a total breeze. I used a high end anti squeal paste I purchased at my local Napa store (about $20). I coated the back of the pads as well as lightly lubricated the pins and the retaining clip that holds the pads in where there was metal to metal contact. Took the car for a ride and like freakin magic...NO NOISE AT ALL!!!!! Drove the car about 40 miles today and did plenty of stop and go to make sure I was in the clear and its perfect. The guys at Porterfield said that no special break in procedure was neccessary, "just drive it" is what the gentleman told me. I got rear pads as well, and tomorrow I'm going to change those out. I will post some pictures of the pads as well tomorrow. There is a real difference in the appearance of the friction material. Plus the pad surface is chamfered on the leading edges..the pictures will show this a bit better.

I'm a happy guy today! Order them now!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
You're welcome

Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
^^^ Awesome nice to hear...post some pics of the stuff you used the anti squeel paste and the shims (did you re-use the stock ones or use the ones that come with the pads?) also anything else that I would need to know or tell my guy at the shop?

Did you put the rear pads on yet and drive it again? Or just the fronts and doing the rears tomorrow?

thanks a bunch buddy!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ Awesome nice to hear...post some pics of the stuff you used the anti squeel paste and the shims (did you re-use the stock ones or use the ones that come with the pads?) also anything else that I would need to know or tell my guy at the shop?

Did you put the rear pads on yet and drive it again? Or just the fronts and doing the rears tomorrow?

thanks a bunch buddy!

Karl...A thousand thanks you's!

Sunir, Doing the rears tomorrow. I used the squeal pads that came with the pads on the front. I think I'm going to take Karl's advice and use the OEM ones on the rears though. I will post pics! I'm taking off for another drive!!! I'm in love again..

Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Ok, I got a set of brand spankin' new EBC Red Stuffs to the highest bidder ... any takers? ... No? WTF???

Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Karl...A thousand thanks you's!

Sunir, Doing the rears tomorrow. I used the squeal pads that came with the pads on the front. I think I'm going to take Karl's advice and use the OEM ones on the rears though. I will post pics! I'm taking off for another drive!!! I'm in love again..
So what's the verdict ....how did the car drive with the rears done? once I get a green light I will call the shop and have them order the pads...I have not driven my db9 going on 2 weeks now

Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Stewman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Ok, I got a set of brand spankin' new EBC Red Stuffs to the highest bidder ... any takers? ... No? WTF???

Okay Ill bite and start the bidding at 150.00 cash..to offset you loss

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by Stewman
Okay Ill bite and start the bidding at 150.00 cash..to offset you loss
PM sent!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I can't respond to PM's yet...newbee????
Im located in stoney creek....hotmail me

ruckrollmaul@hotmail.com

I hope Im allowed to share this

Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Sorry forgot about the 10 post rule, will email you later today. I'm actually down in Niagara on the Lake all weekend so we might be able to meet up.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Sounds great...Stoney Creek is on the way..and just a jot off the QEW..............lets try and connect then

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brake question?