Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

brake question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
brake question?

I am looking for brake pads for my DB9. I am seeking a noise free (or super low noise) and dust free (or relatively low to no dust) brake pad. I don't mind going back to stock if that's what people are having the best luck with but I posted on here to learn more and see if there is a better alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions? looking for front and rear pads, can you plesae tell me the manufacturer, part numbers, and/or source to get them.

I tried EBC reds, they were way too loud, they were supposed to stop making noise after 500 to 1000 miles, I did the requisite break in procedure at 200 miles and they drove for several hundred more miles... and they are still very very loud. They are unbearable, I cannot stand to drive the car this way, it's not only embarrassing its downright horrific. Makes me want to drive the car off a cliff - that's how bad it is . The rotors are almost new (only have a few hundred miles on them).

thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
With high performance pads its always a balance between performance / noise / fade.

The OEM ones do squeal, but there are fixes for that, using pads and copper-slip behind them, but even with the fixes, there will be an occasional time that you pull up sounding like a bicycle.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Good points, I agree...I know about brake pads and squeel, have had a ton of experience, from pagids on steel rotors to carbon ceramic discs and matching pads on my Porsche GT2. I also have a race car and have used Hawk, DTC, Carbotech on it...have been racing since 2003 and instructing since 2006...used a lot of carbon and carbon metallic compounds also., what I have in the Aston is abnormal

I know how normal brake squeel should sound, like you said pulling up to a stop, a little screetch toward the end there esp when cold that's fine, that's not what I'm talking about at all. We always use anti/squeel gel or copper paste like you indicated, def a good idea. My tech did the same to the EBC reds on my Aston, they are horribly loud....like nothing I have ever heard on any car, that counts any car I have ever owned or seen ever, on or off the race track, hot or cold condtions on street cars, these are unbearable...and I can put up with a lot.

...it's like a very very loud harmonic whaling as you engage the pedal, doesn't matter the temp, the speed, or anything...it's consistant...and it's serverly aggrivating.

Last edited by sunir; 04-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Originally Posted by sunir
I am looking for brake pads for my DB9. I am seeking a noise free (or super low noise) and dust free (or relatively low to no dust) brake pad. I don't mind going back to stock if that's what people are having the best luck with but I posted on here to learn more and see if there is a better alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions? looking for front and rear pads, can you plesae tell me the manufacturer, part numbers, and/or source to get them.

I tried EBC reds, they were way too loud, they were supposed to stop making noise after 500 to 1000 miles, I did the requisite break in procedure at 200 miles and they drove for several hundred more miles... and they are still very very loud. They are unbearable, I cannot stand to drive the car this way, it's not only embarrassing its downright horrific. Makes me want to drive the car off a cliff - that's how bad it is . The rotors are almost new (only have a few hundred miles on them).

thanks

It's funny you posted this today. I was actually going to make a similar post. My car has developed this same type of rediculous squealing in the past weeks. Driving me freakin nuts!! I still have the original OEM pads on the car...the car has very low miles and the pads are in good shape still. The dealer has no real solution for me other then changing the pads and crossing my fingers. He says it's a chronic problem for these cars and I'll be chasing it for as long as I own an Aston. What a crock!!

I did some home work and heard some pretty good things about these guys: http://porterfield-brakes.com/index.php I gave them a call and the tech I spoke with was very aware of the problem and said they sell lots of these pads for Aston Martins with great success. Much less dust and no noise.

I ordered a complete set the other day...they arrive on Tuesday. Both my fronts and rears seem to be squealing..depening on the speed. I'll give you a report when I make the swap (the minute the UPS truck leaves)...hang in there. I haven't driven my car in a week for the same reason you described. Total embarassment!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear that sunir. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by speedracer800
It's funny you posted this today. I was actually going to make a similar post. My car has developed this same type of rediculous squealing in the past weeks. Driving me freakin nuts!! I still have the original OEM pads on the car...the car has very low miles and the pads are in good shape still. The dealer has no real solution for me other then changing the pads and crossing my fingers. He says it's a chronic problem for these cars and I'll be chasing it for as long as I own an Aston. What a crock!!

I did some home work and heard some pretty good things about these guys: http://porterfield-brakes.com/index.php I gave them a call and the tech I spoke with was very aware of the problem and said they sell lots of these pads for Aston Martins with great success. Much less dust and no noise.

I ordered a complete set the other day...they arrive on Tuesday. Both my fronts and rears seem to be squealing..depening on the speed. I'll give you a report when I make the swap (the minute the UPS truck leaves)...hang in there. I haven't driven my car in a week for the same reason you described. Total embarassment!

Yes yes!!! you understand what I am talking about. It's unbearable... as pretty as the DB9 is, this kind of sound makes me want to set fire to it and watch it burn to the ground...it's that bad! THink fingernails across a chalk board, now multiply by 10 and add to it that it's a harmonic drone/whailing any time you depress the brake pedal, and it's consistant, slow speed, fast speed, hot, cold, whatever. Seriously as you said it right....it's embarrasing at the least and incredibly unpleasant...and like you also said it makes me not want to drive the car...at all! not even one bit...

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Sorry to hear that sunir. Hope you get it sorted soon.
thanks buddy ... I am glad at least one other person like Speedracer800 has felt the same so that I don't think I am going crazy and hearing things, or in a sitiuation that like this alone, without anyone knowing what I'm talking about...

Last edited by sunir; 04-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM
speedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nicespeedracer800 is just really nice
Originally Posted by sunir
Yes yes!!! you understand what I am talking about. It's unbearable... as pretty as the DB9 is, this kind of sound makes me want to set fire to it and watch it burn to the ground...it's that bad! THink fingernails across a chalk board, now multiply by 10 and add to it that it's a harmonic drone/whailing any time you depress the brake pedal, and it's consistant, slow speed, fast speed, hot, cold, whatever. Seriously as you said it right....it's embarrasing at the least and incredibly unpleasant...and like you also said it makes me not want to drive the car...at all! not even one bit...

I went and filled up some cans with gasoline the other day with the intention of doing just that. Then as I looked at my beautiful baby, I just couldn't do it...

Well, Im holding out hope that these new pads do the trick. The guy really sold me on them. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
So you guys haven't tried just slamming the brakes from like 60 MPH to a stop? That's what I do when I hear the slightest brake squeal and it stays nice and quite for a very long time. That's also what my dealer recommended I do.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by macksamus
So you guys haven't tried just slamming the brakes from like 60 MPH to a stop? That's what I do when I hear the slightest brake squeal and it stays nice and quite for a very long time. That's also what my dealer recommended I do.
did that...followed the break in procedure the letter, and I have bedded in pads on the street for road cars and on the track for race cars many times. What we are experiencing is extremely abnormal. has nothing to do with bedding in the pads, ussually gradual to firm and then hard stops in series from 60mph in sequence (pretty standard for road cars) for race cars it's a little different.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Ugh! I have not yet gotten around to installing the set of Red Stuffs I bought ... looking like I won't now. I had certainly seen other threads like this (both for Astons and non-Astons) about this pad after I bought them. Unfortunately I placed too much stock in a couple threads I read a while back that gave them glowing reviews.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by macksamus

Oh Yes!! I have tried that dozens of times at all different speeds, both forward and reverse (another suggestion I got). Still nothing. Might help for a little bit, but within a mile or so, its back to business as usual...that mind bending squealing!!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
Ugh! I have not yet gotten around to installing the set of Red Stuffs I bought ... looking like I won't now. I had certainly seen other threads like this (both for Astons and non-Astons) about this pad after I bought them. Unfortunately I placed too much stock in a couple threads I read a while back that gave them glowing reviews.
I dunno what to say bud, they were good the first few miles the night I drove the car back from the shop...then they just started making aweful noise just loud harmonic drone simply horrible about a 100+ miles in...I hung in there, I drove them for a couple hundred miles then did the break in as instructed and I just can't bear to drive the car with them. Who knows maybe it's my calipers, not enough squeel grease, my rotors or something else I have no idea...If you want to try them go ahead maybe your experiences will be different. You may like to try them and report your findings,

Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Sunir, I use Porterfield R4-S pads on both my Esprit and Vantage. The Brembo OEM pads on both cars are way too dusty. The Porterfields are almost dust free and completely quiet. I have had them on the Vantage for more 10K miles and on the Esprit for more than 90K miles, so I can attest to their performance with confidence. Check out this thread for more info:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-brakes.html

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Sunir, I use Porterfield R4-S pads on both my Esprit and Vantage. The Brembo OEM pads on both cars are way too dusty. The Porterfields are almost dust free and completely quiet. I have had them on the Vantage for more 10K miles and on the Esprit for more than 90K miles, so I can attest to their performance with confidence. Check out this thread for more info:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-brakes.html
Karl you don't know how happy I am to read this post! thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brake question?