Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Picture from the new Bond movie Skyfall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
nexlogic has a spectacular aura aboutnexlogic has a spectacular aura aboutnexlogic has a spectacular aura about
Wait, how do we know a new Aston Martin model won't debut in this film? It could be a surprise.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I suppose it's possible. I just did a search for what Bentley will be in the film but didn't see anything. I read an article several months back saying the car would be a Bentley (most likely on Autoblog or Jalopnik), but I suppose this could have changed. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I heard from high heads that it was a Bentley SuperSport, believe there custom edition's for the movie. When the debate was running, it was for the V12V and SuperSport..but V12V was not going to be built in time for the prep of the vehicles for the movie and Aston couldn't afford another unplanned water scene for custom movie cars..VW AG has lots of funds to back it up sooo.. SuperSport took the win.

This isn't my research so I could be wrong, but this was said to me by someone pretty high up..

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
It was the SuperSports that was mentioned in the article now that I think of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
dicktahoe...hats off to you...glad you are enjoying your v8v and living in the fast lane and enjoying every minute of it. You inspire me also, like another poster said...I'm in my mid 30's now and have always loved cars and been fortunate to own several of my target cars by now with more on my list to strive toward and I can tell youwithout a doubt at 76 I would love to be on a motorcycle or dashing down the road at triple digits, well played sir!

Racer_X I agree the association with Bond and AM is strong, and it's done good for the AM brand...I too have heard "hey isn't that James bond's car" and that is a positve association...even by people who don't know what kind of car it is, or have not seen many or any AM cars, in this country that is the case most of the time. AM is a stealthy gentlemans supercar/exotic.

I personally think Bond should be in an Aston, always. period. He should have several in each movie and switch them up. That association is so strong and so steeped in the brand and the image of Bond...it's like a fine custom tailored Saville row suit ...the style, exclusivity, classiness of the car fits with the character and the story behind him.

Last edited by sunir; 04-20-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaymoney
I appreciate the look and finish of Bentleys. I just can't imagine myself wanting to drive one. If I have a 2 hr commute in and out of traffic, I guess it would make sense but there just isn't a sense of cool. James Bond will not look as badass getting out of one. I know that the early books had him driving a Bentley, but the films have evolved a bit and his character has a different personality. I was hoping for some kind of prototype of the new DB car may be even a ONE-77.
I just don't agree that Bentley's are not cool.
They have gobs of power.
Ultra sweet interiors.
Undeniable exclusive design.
The new ones come stock with 21 inch wheels, even.

Plus, the Bond character is uber British....and so is a Bentley.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ice350
I just don't agree that Bentley's are not cool.
They have gobs of power.
Ultra sweet interiors.
Undeniable exclusive design.
The new ones come stock with 21 inch wheels, even.

Plus, the Bond character is uber British....and so is a Bentley.
aston is just as british as bentley, from a lineage stadnpoint very similar and both have great pedigree and heritiage. but nowadays Bentley is a German car basically, which is not so british.... I say bond should stick with Aston Martin...

I think Bentleys are great, for all the reasons you mentioned. but for 007, only an Aston should do!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 PM
gekko is infamous around these partsgekko is infamous around these parts
Sorry gents, this is the picture I would uploaded for SkyFall - Bérénice Marlohe (plays Sévérine)

Attached Images  

Last edited by gekko; 04-23-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
bubba is infamous around these parts
It's probably worth noting: In the original Ian Fleming books, James Bond drove an old blower Bentley.

So far as I know, Aston Martin entered the picture just for the big screen - and only because the Bentley of "that" era were cumbersome sedans. It was simply an aesthetic decision, not due to any sort of product placement deal.

I suppose if it was important to Aston Martin, they would have ponied up more cash than VW. Personally, I'm fine with their decision... leaves more funds for R&D.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM
MichaelD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I'm 76! And a reminder that "You may have to grow Old, but you don't have to grow up." For FUN it's a toss-up between my V8V and my BMW R1200RT.
PS: I've hit Red-line a few times in 3rd when passing, but on the open road no more than 140mph (my wife said, "Dick, I think that's fast enough.) Also had a great day with the Aston driving with HOD (Hooked-On-Driving) at Thunderhill Raceway.
Hey, I'm not making a connection between how long you've lived and whether you're old. I know some people in their early 30s who are old, and plenty of people in their 60s who are still young.

Just don't know anyone young with a Bentley. After 47 years in movies, Bond must be getting to that age where he wants a nice comfortable car with massage seats.

On the question of coolness, Aston Martin is so much cooler than Bentley. You can admire a Bentley, for being able to go so quickly despite all that weight, but could you love a Bentley? Would you look back over your shoulder as you walk away? Or would you just think "it may be fat but I like it"?

Am I being too harsh on the Bentley?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
I agree that the Bentley just doesn't fit Bond. Yes it's got a ton of horsepower and is fast, but it's just not a "sports" car to me, which seems to fit the Bond profile.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM
macksamus is infamous around these parts
Agree that AM's association with Bond is very strong; they kinda go hand-in-hand. People won't soon forget that. For that reason alone, I'm not too worried if they switch over to a Bentley for the next film.

Also, I would not mind it if AM's became a little less popular here in the states...I like the idea of our cars not being so common place. The fewer on the road, the cooler we all look

Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 AM
mfrankel is infamous around these parts
I agree the Bond - AM association is a positive one. It's probably safe to say that most of us like the classy/edgy/sexy/badass/exclusive mix that describes both.
I too get the, "Is that the James Bond car?" question....and it's a complement. The DB5 is a nice touch, and no doubt my first Aston experience was seeing one in a Bond film and thinking, "Wow"....and as an advertising scheme, clearly it worked on me. I also don't mind AM spending the $ to make others think "Wow" and keep the company relevant beyond LeMans.
I have noticed 20 somethings don't recognize the car, and I'd much rather keep up the Bond image and get the Bond question versus, "Is that the new Ford Fusion?"

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I've lusted after an Aston for the past 40 years after seeing "007" Movies. I had a '56 T-bird, a couple of Mercedes SL coupes, a '78 and '84 Corvette, a Porsche Boxster--and now my "007 Tahoe". This car creates a total "Permagrin" every time I drive it. The Road shown in the Picture is Hwy 36 from Red Bluff, CA to the Coast. One of my favorites for Car or Bike (Motorcycle). The other item associated with "007" is his Walther. I've had one of those since way, way before the Aston.

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM
I agree that the past use of modern Astons in the Bond films will carry over for a while, but it'll eventually fade from memory for many and, like mfrankel said, the younger generation won't have a clue about Aston. It's important to generate interest in the young because they are the future for the marque. And the Bond films generate great interest in the cars not only in the U.S. and the U.K., but throughout the world, better than any advertising campaign or racing program can.

I was introduced to the marque with the Vanquish that Pierce Brosnan drove in Die Another Day. I of course already had seen the DB5 from the old films, but it was just some cute old car to me at the time. When I saw that Vanq though, I remember thinking "wow, what's that?!" From that day I was hooked and now I've purchased two Astons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picture from the new Bond movie Skyfall